[1.2.0][WIP, PLUGIN][0.11.9.8][30/10/2016] KeepFit - Kerbal fitness degradation

timmers_uk

Then maybe you'd best ask the author if they'd like to upload it to a different hosting service? I can see uploading something (whose license permits it), when it can't be grabbed otherwise, but when it can...that's just really, really bad form. Please try to imagine the headaches you might be causing in terms of update issues, quite apart from disregarding an author's choices in hosting.

Yeah, that's something you don't do. Like at all. Now he has to deal with you and spacedock and prove he's the rightful owner of the mod, and...you just don't do that.

Anyway, moving on to why I'm here: I downloaded this recently (not from spacedock, thank you very much:mad:) and I really like flavor it adds. Pretty much, I like everything about it. It could use a little more documentation, as to the different levels of G whatevers...G(I), G(S), G(L) and what they mean. But the main problem is...it keeps cutting out mid flight for me. The roster registers Bob Kermin as (correctly) loaded, but the inflight/vessel displays show zero crew! What's more, I think, but am not certain, that this could be affecting, or at least connected some how, to Ship Manifest, as during these times, I am unable to use that mod either, which generally only happens when I...have no crew on the ship (even probes don't count for that mod). So what gives? Is Bob Kermin a soulless/lifeless Kerbal (I think he's the only one I've really tested it on) and I'm piloting ghost ships? (I seriously thought he had died on my from the Gee's the first time it happened).

Oh, one other thing: going on EVA seems to jog the mod back into working. Sometimes it starts working on its own again too (probably when an internal update triggers or something?).

I should also add that I have a lot of other mods installed, and as always, a conflict could be occurring somewhere else along the chain and it just happens to show up here. I'm looking through my log at the moment to see if anything related to keepfit showed up, but so far it looks fine (although it's a mess at the moment). I'm on Linux, x64 bit, by the way.

If you, or anyone else for that matter, has any ideas, let me know. Thanks.

Cheers.

---edit---

The only thing close to an error relating to keepfit in the 427 references to it in my player.log was:

2/26/2016 6:19:53 PM,KeepFit,Unable to find Style: Tooltip in Skin: KSP window 7

Edited by Deimos Rast

16 hours ago, NathanKell said:

Then maybe you'd best ask the author if they'd like to upload it to a different hosting service? I can see uploading something (whose license permits it), when it can't be grabbed otherwise, but when it can...that's just really, really bad form. Please try to imagine the headaches you might be causing in terms of update issues, quite apart from disregarding an author's choices in hosting.

Alright I deleted it. Thank you for the response, I realized what I did wrong and I won't do it again, sorry about that.

Growwllll rargghhhh

Now you've done it, awoken the beast and everything - no idea why I've stopped getting notifications coming through reliably from this thread, but I'm 

a) tied up in other work things right now (GDC looming), and don't have much inclination to touch code when I escape.

b) just realised I left my laptop power supply at the office so can't do poo about poo this weekend as a result.

I know I've got outstanding work to push out, from other helpful users, and I'll push out a spacedock release on the next release, but only then - I pushed ambient light adjustment out to spacedock sooner because I know more people use it.

Perhaps Monday if I can dodge the eyes of my boss.at lunchtime (mmm .... another al-desko lunch).

T

p.s. Not sure on the cutting out/undetecting of the ships - when I push the new release I'll try to have a look at what could be going pop, but generally KeepFit has worked through being dumb as a brick.

p.p.s. @bananashavings - nevermind and thanks for being good about pulling from spacedock, ironically if someone had PM'ed me a few nights ago I would have had the time (maybe not much inclination but enough if I'd known someone was jonesing for KeepFit)

p.p.p.s. @NathanKell thanks for handling this in my lazy absence

23 hours ago, timmers_uk said:

[snips]

p.s. Not sure on the cutting out/undetecting of the ships - when I push the new release I'll try to have a look at what could be going pop, but generally KeepFit has worked through being dumb as a brick.

Much obliged. Like I said, if this is the first you've heard of it, it's probably a one off issue specific to me, and I wouldn't worry too much about it. A mysterious "mod conflict" maybe, but I have no idea. If you know of any mod incompatibilities, don't be shy about sharing them:). The only mod I have that actively goes out of its way to interfere with commanding craft is RemoteTech, so maybe that's it. Again, no idea.

Cheers.

So I'm pretty sure I solved the problem: it was the "Obey CLS Limits" (or whatever the wording is) option I had enabled in the settings of KeepFit. I've had a couple of flights now that have been a 100% flawless, whereas before it was cutting in and out every ten seconds. It's strange: I have CLS installed, the pods in question were Mk1 pods (usually), usually solo - unconnected to anything, so there shouldn't have been anything for CLS to apply to, although I do usually enable various options related to CLS in the editor when building these pods, so maybe that triggered it. No idea, but I'm calling it case closed. (It also seems to have stopped affecting Ship Manifest as well).

Cheers.

0.9.4.3 Posted, and added to spacedock - I haven't tested it much myself on this rev, so it may as always, be filled with bees.

And on the CLS front ... I'm in two minds on the cause of this one - probably 1.1 will be my next chance to mojo it up so I look into it. For now I guess, disabling CLS integration is the way to go.

Tim

On 3/6/2016 at 0:56 PM, Rath said:

So you have g-tracking--could .2-1 g increase fitness over time (ir Han ring)

We do, as long as you have an environment for your crew which could support some decent fitness equipment, rather than placing them in a space smaller than a phone booth for weeks at a time - think Skylab rather than Voshkod. Right now the only parts which allow state Exercising are various spinny habs.

• 3 weeks later...

@timmers_ukSo I expanded on your MM patch a bit, and have been using it for a while (I forget what your patch was like, I think I lost the original, so this is my remake). It basically assigns KeepFit values based on crew capacity: 1-2 gets CRAMPED, 3-4 gets NEUTRAL, 4+ gets COMFY. There is a list of special exceptions that gets EXERCISING. Not the most sophisticated patch, but it is thorough.

I just realized that it's currently "dumb", in that it doesn't sense that if the part already has the module, and just outright removes any pre-existing module (I wrote this a while ago). I suppose you could change the load order so this gets overwritten by more custom patches, this is mainly the serve as a catch all, or as an example. You can consider it public domain, do whatever. It shouldn't be that hard to add in a check for a KeepFit module.

As an aside, I was going to post some bug reports about this mod killing off kerbals when it was disabled, until I "discovered" Deadly Reentry actually adds Deadly G effects too (in addition to heating the atmosphere and such) and so I'm currently getting a double wammy. Good times.

FYI: Title of the forum thread still says 1.0.4 by the way.

Cheers.

(And if you see any problems, let me know, but as stated, I've been using it for a while now, and had no issues, other than it over-riding other KeepFit Modules, as intended)

The patch, requires Module manager, save in a text document as a "something.cfg" and place in GameData directory. The exceptions are at the bottom.

Note: I'm unsure what sort of "NEEDS[]" to insert for USI besides "UmbraSpaceIndustries", so there currently isn't anything. This might cause an issue, so I commented out the UKS, MK-V, and OKS EXERCISING exceptions just in case. If you want those, just remove the two slashes // on the left.

Spoiler

//---------------------------------------CRAMPED - Crew Capacity #1-2------------------------------------//
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],#CrewCapacity[1]]:NEEDS[KeepFit]:AFTER[KeepFit]
{
    !MODULE[KeepFitPartModule] {}
    MODULE
    {
        name = KeepFitPartModule
        strActivityLevel = CRAMPED
    }
}

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleCommand],#CrewCapacity[1]]:NEEDS[KeepFit]:AFTER[KeepFit]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = KeepFitPartModule
    }
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],#CrewCapacity[2]]:NEEDS[KeepFit]:AFTER[KeepFit]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = KeepFitPartModule
    }
}

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleCommand],#CrewCapacity[2]]:NEEDS[KeepFit]:AFTER[KeepFit]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = KeepFitPartModule
    }
}

//---------------------------------------NEUTRAL - Crew Capacity #3-4---------------------------------------//

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],#CrewCapacity[3]]:NEEDS[KeepFit]:AFTER[KeepFit]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = KeepFitPartModule
        strActivityLevel = NEUTRAL
    }
}

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleCommand],#CrewCapacity[3]]:NEEDS[KeepFit]:AFTER[KeepFit]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = KeepFitPartModule
    }
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],#CrewCapacity[4]]:NEEDS[KeepFit]:AFTER[KeepFit]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = KeepFitPartModule
    }
}

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleCommand],#CrewCapacity[4]]:NEEDS[KeepFit]:AFTER[KeepFit]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = KeepFitPartModule
    }
}

//---------------------------------------COMFY - Crew Capacity 4+ ---------------------------------------//
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],#CrewCapacity[>4]]:NEEDS[KeepFit]:AFTER[KeepFit]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = KeepFitPartModule
        strActivityLevel = COMFY
    }
}

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleCommand],#CrewCapacity[>4]]:NEEDS[KeepFit]:AFTER[KeepFit]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = KeepFitPartModule
        strActivityLevel = COMFY
    }
}

//---------------------------------------EXERCISING - Special Exceptions---------------------------------------//
//---------------------------------------MB-75 Deployable Habitation Unit (Endurance)
@PART[ENdeployableHabitat]:NEEDS[KeepFit]:AFTER[KeepFit]:NEEDS[Endurance]
{

MODULE
    {
        name = KeepFitPartModule
        strActivityLevel = EXERCISING
    }
}

//---------------------------------------SXT Centrifuge Mk2 Hab
@PART[SXTRotatingMk2Ring]:NEEDS[KeepFit]:AFTER[KeepFit]:NEEDS[SXMk2]
{

MODULE
    {
        name = KeepFitPartModule
    }
}

//---------------------------------------Porkjets Habitat Centrifuge
//His other habitats will automatically be tagged as COMFY by the previous patch
//If you want to customize the patch below, their part names are: orbitalorb, inflatoFlat, inflato1, inflato2
@PART[centrifuge1]:NEEDS[KeepFit]:AFTER[KeepFit]:NEEDS[HabitatPack]
{

MODULE
    {
        name = KeepFitPartModule
    }
}

////---------------------------------------UKS Kerbitat (Surface)
//@PART[MKS_Kerbitat]:NEEDS[KeepFit]:AFTER[KeepFit]
//{
//    !MODULE[KeepFitPartModule] {}
//
//    MODULE
//    {
//        name = KeepFitPartModule
//        strActivityLevel = EXERCISING
//    }
//}

////---------------------------------------UKS Kerbitat (Orbital)
//@PART[OKS_Kerbitat]:NEEDS[KeepFit]:AFTER[KeepFit]
//{
//
//   MODULE
//    {
//    }
//}

////---------------------------------------OKS Habitation Ring
//@PART[OKS_HabRing]:NEEDS[KeepFit]:AFTER[KeepFit]
//{
//
//    MODULE
//    {
//    }
//}

////---------------------------------------MK-V Habitation Module
//@PART[MKV_HabModule]:NEEDS[KeepFit]:AFTER[KeepFit]
//{
//
//    MODULE
//    {
//    }
//}

@Deimos Rast Sorry I haven't got to looking at your changes yet - I definitely will, but I wanted to get a 1.1 build out for the pre-release quickly.

0.10.4.3 release up on Spacedock + github - rebuilt and fixed up for the 1.1 prerelease, and vaguely tested with 1.1. Shout if you see new bugs - I don't have CLS support yet tested due to not seeing a 1.1 build yet, and haven't pushed the bounds of the possible with it by any means, but I did get rid of the most glaring showstoppers needing fixed to use it with 1.1

If you aren't on 1.1 prerelease, steer clear of this new build, stick with 0.9.4.3

57 minutes ago, timmers_uk said:

@Deimos Rast Sorry I haven't got to looking at your changes yet - I definitely will, but I wanted to get a 1.1 build out for the pre-release quickly.

Actually better you wait, as I'm working on the patch at the moment and added a check to make it smarter, but my game is being the devil itself and not cooperating.

Also, just for clarity, adding EXERCISING to a part effectively stops fitness degradation for kerbals active in that part, yes? I was thinking of making a crude patch that just adds EXERCISING to DeepFreeze Cryo Freezers, which might not actually be necessary. Or if you can think of a better way, I just don't want to start throwing "EXERCISING" on everything.

Just now, Deimos Rast said:

Actually better you wait, as I'm working on the patch at the moment and added a check to make it smarter, but my game is being the devil itself and not cooperating.

Also, just for clarity, adding EXERCISING to a part effectively stops fitness degradation for kerbals active in that part, yes? I was thinking of making a crude patch that just adds EXERCISING to DeepFreeze Cryo Freezers, which might not actually be necessary. Or if you can think of a better way, I just don't want to start throwing "EXERCISING" on everything.

NEUTRAL should be the one to zero out fitness loss. EXERCISING should increase fitness. I think Cryo would be NEUTRAL?

Did you ever thougt about some kind of radiation effect?

A simple implementation could be a variable like your comfort level, which stores the radiation level. Each capsule has a defined radiation shielding to compensate radiation. Over time radiation dosis on crew gets (integrated) greater and for example their fitness level and skill set drop faster. Radiation level vary by location in space (height for van Allen belts) or distance from sun, location within Joolian radiation belts and so on. Distance to reactors might play a roll as well.

By the way, do have EVA suits a comfort level?

One additional idea: What about some kind of sick bay module, wherein fitness level rises way faster than "Excercicing"?

Edited by New Horizons

31 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

gotcha, makes more sense that way; haven't had my cup o' joe yet this AM.

Unfortunately I'm at the other end of the day, so I'd recommend steering clear of my profile on spacedock - I added a dupe of KeepFit on their not thinking about the fact that its already up, and when I removed it, 'things' have gone pear shaped.

23 minutes ago, New Horizons said:

A simple implementation could be a variable like your comfort level, which stores the radiation level. Each capsule has a defined radiation shielding to compensate radiation. Over time radiation dosis on crew gets (integrated) greater and for example their fitness level and skill set drop faster. Radiation level vary by location in space (height for van Allen belts) or distance from sun, location within Joolian radiation belts and so on. Distance to reactors might play a roll as well.

One additional idea: What about some kind of sick bay module, wherein fitness level rises way faster than "Excercicing"?

I've been avoiding getting into other things like radiation with this mod - feel free to fork the source if you like and make a version substituting the Gee stuff for radiation though - my concern would be opening a can of radiation worms with things like Nerva exhausts, but feel free.

35 minutes ago, New Horizons said:

This has more to do with longer term effects of G's (although it does track short term, seemingly just so that it can become long term). Regarding Radiation check out Nertea's WIP mod here about radiation. I suspect timmer's won't be doing it, but who knows. EVA suits don't have a comfort level.

-edit-

There is the settings option to increase landed exercising minimums.

Edited by Deimos Rast

1 minute ago, Deimos Rast said:

This has more to do with longer term effects of G's (although it does track short term, seemingly just so that it can become long term). Regarding Radiation check out Nertea's WIP mod here about radiation. I suspect timmer's won't be doing it, but who knows. EVA suits don't have a comfort level.

Correct - not enough time to make UI on KeepFit less painful, and a keen awareness of the dangers of featurecreep.

On the EVA suits, I'll try and leave a Kerbal in EVA suit for a few days - I suspect the way the code works, it'll count as if he's CRAMPED for KeepFit purposes when he's on EVA, but I'm not sure. CRAMPED is probably most reasonable if on EVA and not on a planetary surface with reasonable Gee (I can't remember what I set for 'reasonable' here).

(Side note : we don't, as humans, really know what a reasonable Gee level for long term health is, we can't test for it - its either vomit comet for <1min reduced G, ISS for 0ish G, or Planet Earth for ~1G - and I don't see anyone volunteering to spend long periods in a centrifuge to do long term testing of >1G either!)

I'm by no means an informed person on the subject, so just a wild stab at the EVA suit issue: I can't see this being of serious importance from either a game play or realism perspective. How often do you leave a kerbal outside that long? I've had contracts of "rescue a stranded eva kerb" that go on for months that might trigger it, but other than that? Not really. From a realism perspective, I suppose they have full range of motion, as oppose to being, say, in a cramped capsule. But...they're free floating in freakin' space! That can't be a habitat upgrade over a capsule. Also, considering that long term, life support is probably going to be the limiting factor (and honestly, I would be surprised if someone installed this mod and didn't also have a life support mod installed).

55 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

I'm by no means an informed person on the subject, so just a wild stab at the EVA suit issue: I can't see this being of serious importance from either a game play or realism perspective. How often do you leave a kerbal outside that long? I've had contracts of "rescue a stranded eva kerb" that go on for months that might trigger it, but other than that? Not really. From a realism perspective, I suppose they have full range of motion, as oppose to being, say, in a cramped capsule. But...they're free floating in freakin' space! That can't be a habitat upgrade over a capsule. Also, considering that long term, life support is probably going to be the limiting factor (and honestly, I would be surprised if someone installed this mod and didn't also have a life support mod installed).

Ok, of course there is now game play element of extended EVAs. But stil, EVAs are exhausting. I suggest to raise a penalty of - let's say - one day "Cramped" fitness degredation per EVA in general. This might be interesting in normal career/science mode, when you do lot's EVAs in low orbit.

What about a short term fitness level, which drops general fitness a lot, by a certain multiplier for "Cramped".

e.g.:
- start EVA -> 1d drop in fitness
- heavy g load -> 100 times g level above 1 g -> at 3 g for 1 minute this gives 300 x "cramped" or about equal to 1 kerbin day in a cramped capsule
Enough stress for the rest of the day.   

If fitness level is some kind of muscle mass loss, than Tylo should give you the opportunity to regain strengths over longer periods of time -> which makes super kerbals ready for a low and high g load swing by at Jool ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2016 at 3:21 PM, timmers_uk said:

Well, GDC is now completed, with a bonus of Achievement Unlocked x2

KSP PS4 edition *and* Scott Manley

That is one of the coolest posts I have see. Amazing.

On 3/30/2016 at 7:17 PM, timmers_uk said:

0.10.4.3 release up on Spacedock + github - rebuilt and fixed up for the 1.1 prerelease, and vaguely tested with 1.1. Shout if you see new bugs - I don't have CLS support yet tested due to not seeing a 1.1 build yet, and haven't pushed the bounds of the possible with it by any means, but I did get rid of the most glaring showstoppers needing fixed to use it with 1.1

If you aren't on 1.1 prerelease, steer clear of this new build, stick with 0.9.4.3

I could resist testing away to see it produced anything odd. In the hope it helps @timmers_uk

We seem to have a problem with the mods window. It will not close. Doing so changes text between read and green. I have also managed to do this by playing around. Happy to supply logs, mods lists, etc.

7FAD320BD2921EE94C83F7C8F0B4DACE053F98F7

Edited by nobodyhasthis2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.