[1.2.0][WIP, PLUGIN][0.11.9.8][30/10/2016] KeepFit - Kerbal fitness degradation

timmers_uk

I'm really excited about this.

One thing you might want to think about (and I apologize if this has been brought up earlier), is that you might want to consider all habitable areas on the vessel, and the ratio of inhabited to empty 'slots', rather than just which specific capsule a kerbal is in. As an example, an interplanetary ship with a crew of 5, but 'space' for 15, including a porkworks centrifigum, should not impose undue penalties on the crew who happen to be in the command cabin. It could be assumed that they are moving around within the ship during the voyage, even if they are (in game-mechanics terms alone) staying seated in the command cabin.

I'd love to see a change from the current "per module" qualitative system to a "total vessel" quantitative system. For example, each module could be assigned a "comfortLevel" ranging 1 to 30 (with "1" being a mk2 cockpit and "30" being a large inflato). Then add up the total comfortLevel for the whole vessel, and divide that by the number of Kerbals on the vessel to determine the "meanComfortLevel". From there, an algorithm could be used to determine the fitness loss per day. This algorithm could be as simple as: fitnessLoss = 0.5 * (10 - meanComfortLevel) [if fitnessLoss <0, then fitnessLoss = 0], yielding a range of 0% to 4.5%, with a requirement of at least 10 comfortLevel per Kerbal to remain fitness neutral.

Even more ideally, I would change that if/then to "if fitnessLoss <0.5, then fitnessLoss = 0.5," yielding a range of 0.5% to 4.5% fitness loss per day, and make it such that only the presence of gravity can allow a neutral/positive fitness level (and allow centrifuge parts to provided a limited amount of gravity, divided among the Kerbals on the vessel).

This idea is so ludicrous on the first glance and makes me wonder that you should connect it to a real treadmill and make players run in real life to make the Kerbals fit. xD Oh... And there's always kinect for experiments =)

Most of the other games, to make the player characters "fit" employ the "tap the button as fast as you can" technique. Did you try implementing that? xD

Dear Timmers,

This mod looks fantastic! I can't wait to try it out when I get home, as I've been adding more and more mods to add realism and expand the game.

I have a couple questions though: does your mod affect kerbals in non-stock pods? for example the Interstellar science lab or the ALCOR landing pod?

Also, do you have any plans on integrating your mod's health system with other mods? for example Interstellar adds radiation exposure to kerbals that work closely with nuclear reactors.

Dear Timmers,

This mod looks fantastic! I can't wait to try it out when I get home, as I've been adding more and more mods to add realism and expand the game.

I have a couple questions though: does your mod affect kerbals in non-stock pods? for example the Interstellar science lab or the ALCOR landing pod?

Also, do you have any plans on integrating your mod's health system with other mods? for example Interstellar adds radiation exposure to kerbals that work closely with nuclear reactors.

Hi,

The mod affects kerbals in all pods. It uses module manager to add the activity level available to stock pods and the porkworks habitat pods, and makes a (rough) guess otherwise.

If you use other mods, feel free to send configs for mm if you like, or a list of pod names and the pack otherwise, but I'll take me longer to deal with that as I've had a busy week with work etc.

Just a warning though. I'm chasing what could be a fitness resetting bug when playing on my main career mode save, but I need to check to see if I'm just not spending enough time in warp to trigger much fitness change - once that save goes more interplanetary I'll be in a position to confirm, but I may add some activity elapsed time displays (how long has jeb been cramped) to the ui which would help here - ke bald don't turn into potatoes overnight

Once I've got the basics more reliable and have the mod picking up vessel changes quicker, I'll start thinking about other integrations.

Timmers,

I found an incompatibility between KeepFit and B9 aerospace.

B9 uses a mod called ResGen that allows them to use custom resources for some of their parts.

When I have both mods installed all engines stop consuming fuel and run forever.

Using just 1 mod at a time will work fine. However, since B9 is a fairly popular mod, and goes very well with yours I wanted to let you know this may alienate some players from your mod. Also, ResGen has not been updated in awhile, so I do not think that they are going to address this issue.

Oh, this is exciting. Does the mod take into account gforces in something like what was done here:

I should clarify: I've been looking for something that decreases a kerbal's health the longer they stay in weightlessness (or significantly less than 1g). I was hoping this would allow me to "weaken" kerbals in low gravity, but also toughen them up again by throwing them into artificial gravity rings

Edited by seanth

Oh, this is exciting. Does the mod take into account gforces in something like what was done here:

I should clarify: I've been looking for something that decreases a kerbal's health the longer they stay in weightlessness (or significantly less than 1g). I was hoping this would allow me to "weaken" kerbals in low gravity, but also toughen them up again by throwing them into artificial gravity rings

In ksp, if the center of the wheel have 0g, the exterior of the wheel have 0g also, because for ksp the wheel is just one part ( all the attached parts have the same g-force)

In this video, the car turn into the wheel, but he is not attached or docked, that's why the cars have his self g-force)

If the car was docked, the sismic sensor will be at 0g also.

for exemple, this centrifugal life module don't have g-force, because all parts are attached: OyX2zH0http://i.imgur.com/OyX2zH0.jpg

sorry for my very bad english speaking :sealed:

Edited by Dix2lespace

In ksp, if the center of the wheel have 0g, the exterior of the wheel have 0g also, because for ksp the wheel is just one part ( all the attached parts have the same g-force)

In this video, the car turn into the wheel, but he is not attached or docked, that's why the cars have his self g-force)

If the car was docked, the sismic sensor will be at 0g also.

Hmmm. So one needs to build a ring and a "habitat car" with mechjeb installed. Set the driving speed and away it goes.

I am experiencing the infinite fuel bug, even if this is the only mod I install over a fresh KSP 0.23 install.

A shame, I would really like to try this mod.

Perhaps the developer had an infinite fuel tweak turned on for testing and simply forgot to remove it from the download ?

I am experiencing the infinite fuel bug, even if this is the only mod I install over a fresh KSP 0.23 install.

A shame, I would really like to try this mod.

Perhaps the developer had an infinite fuel tweak turned on for testing and simply forgot to remove it from the download ?

I have that bug too. Every time I load the game and start a flight it has infinite fuel on. I had to uninstall this because it got too annoying. :(

• 3 weeks later...

This mod interests me, however I am afraid of it due to this reported infinte fuel bug. Also, the tread is rather quiet, is the mod dead? (and honestly, IMO, a mod shouldn't be 1.0 if there are such massive bugs such as infinite fuel). I really hope it is not dead and that these issues are fixed soon enough.

• 2 weeks later...

The infinate fuel bug is something that I could overlook since you can just turn it off everytime you load up the game. But I found one major issue in that when a ship is unloaded, it will always have the comfort level of the first component in it's chain. It is usually a capsule which means despite having all kerbals sitting inside a running centrifuge, the crew still lose fitness as soon as you switch to another ship.

Now I'm wondering if making the comfort level of the vessel into a resource that does not deplete and have each habitabe module provide a fixed amount. for example. the mk3 command capsule has a crew capacity of 3 and provide 3 comfort resource while the centrifuge can have 4 crew but provide 12 comfort. Each onboard crew generates 1 unit of demand and the total onboard comfort is divided by demand to determine the 'cramptness' of the ship. 1 being very cramped, 1.5 being comfy, 2 being spacious and so on.

This way we dont have to babysit a ship through every long timewarp.

That sounds like a great idea! It would also reflect and have a benefit to using a 3 person capsule with 1 person aboard or having to move crew around to better fitness modules, it would essentially simulate them doing this themselves. Win all around.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the basics of this mod a lot, but concerned about not hearing anything about progress (not a release just what is being worked on) in over a month. I REALLY hope this doesn't die as it adds a lot to the game and the G effects I find superior to those built into DRE.

• 1 month later...
I really like the basics of this mod a lot, but concerned about not hearing anything about progress (not a release just what is being worked on) in over a month. I REALLY hope this doesn't die as it adds a lot to the game and the G effects I find superior to those built into DRE.

Sorry all, work caught up with me and had to take precedence - I'll at least try and take few minutes out tomorrow to make a drop with the infinite fuel switched off (must have crept in during testing and been accidentally pushed to github), and also to remove the likes of toolbar from inside the package if I have time, I'll drop in optional use of toolbar, but realistically tomorrow it'll probably just be a quick release to reduce the oops-factor.

If anyone's keen to take this on though, I'm still very busy and would be more than happy if someone else wanted to take it on - I quite like the simplicity of it and its avoidance of being apart of a million and one other aspects that I may or may not want to use though - I just don't have much spare time :(

(alternatively if there's any people out there who actually *enjoy* working unity's GUI layout code, I'd be interested if anyone can hit the UI frames with a stick as I got a bit annoyed with working with the GUI layouts - I'm a backend coder by trade mostly, so the nice visuals really aren't my bag).

Timmers

edit to add : Grr thank you but damn you appveyor ... builds but isn't uploading builds :| - for now here's an interim build - (https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/timmers-ksp/timmers-ksp/Timmers_KeepFit.zip)

Edited by timmers_uk

Thought you'd like to know, there's an " at the end of the download link on the first post causing an error when clicking the link to try and download the latest version. Until fixed, copy the link and remove the " at the end will let the download work :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.