[1.2.0][WIP, PLUGIN][0.11.9.8][30/10/2016] KeepFit - Kerbal fitness degradation

timmers_uk

Oh speaking of the UI just a quick bug report. One thing I noticed is that if I click for example the roster button multiple times it appears to open multiple windows on top of each other, which move and resize together. I came to the conclusion multiple windows are present because if I click on the roster button multiple times I then have to click on the X on the roster window the same amount of times before it is no longer visible.

Yeah I just noticed similar behaviour on another unreleased mod I'm working on for displaying Kerbals flight logs whilst in-flight. I'll have to look into that at the weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello, Timmers.

I've forked your KeepFit project and created a pull request enabling our two mods, your KeepFit and my G-Effects, to communicate. In common words, a public API that allows my mod to use kerbal fitness data is implemented.

Would be glad if you merged it. Think that the new KSP version 1.0.5 is a good reason for a new release ;)

Thanks - merged manually as I was part-way through the 1.0.5 rebuild when this came through, and I've switched machines so was also mucking with the VS project file.

New release - 0.8.3.3 - 1.0.5 support, plus Ser's interoperability code for using KeepFit and G-Effects playing nice.

[quote name='Esme']Just heard of this mod, thanks very for giving this aspect of things a look! I shall be trying it out soon![/QUOTE]

Thanks, its appreciated.

[COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

New release just up 0.8.4.3 -

- Fixed (again) dupe of OKS_Habring in config
- Fixed window spam issue where multiple instances of windows would appear when clicking a button for a window which is already open.

This is quite fun! I wish though there was a more... Expansive method? of supporting mod crew parts. I'm not certain I can think of a decent way to do it procedurally though. I will try to think it over and see if I can offer a thought later on.

On 24/11/2015, 19:45:35, dillon101001 said:

[Why not integrating with KIS? not particularly the whole thing but in its folder in settings.cfg it allows grab up to a ton. How about using the percentage fitness as a multiplier?

TBH I'd say this would have to be the other way around, a feature that KIS would have to add.

Personally I find the grab limit annoying, what with Kerbals tending to ping all over the place when physics kicks in, so I fudge the grab limit in my configs.

• 5 weeks later...

hey would a mod or some sort of MM config for all crew containing parts, or something similiar, allow it so that it can compare the number of kerbals stored in a part to the total space or volume of the part and then make a conclusion with calculations on the kerbal fit levels? it coul draw from a number of part attributes- impact tolerance, heat tolerance, number of other modules, what resources being stored, etc so that EVERY part that has crew has a determined activity level?

• 2 weeks later...

I have been testing out this mod...I really love the concept.  I have a 6 man crew, with NapHabs (CX mod) that I have designated at 'Neutral' and I have porkjet's ring habitat (which is designated 'Exercising').  I did a mission to the mun and back, and most of the kerbonauts are ranking about 80 or so.  No worries, I will transfer them to the circular hab during their trip home, and when kebs become sufficiently healthy, I can transfer them back to the nap hab.

This seems to be working fine except for poor Valentina...no matter what, her condition deteriorates all the time (went from about 80 down to a 62).  Even in the centrifuge, she is deteriorating.

Poor Val, she must have the flu or something :(.

Cheers.

**NVM - I fixed my homemade config**

Edited by Gaultesian

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/05/2015 at 0:41 AM, Fraz86 said:

Timmers,

I have a few config updates/additions for you. Firstly, StockPartChanges.cfg is missing the new Mk3 parts. Here are the values I suggest:

[snip!]

I have also done some for a few of the other mods I use. Main ones being AIES and CxAerospace. If you want to use them they're here:

Spoiler

//AIES

@PART[moduldesspod]:NEEDS[KeepFit]:AFTER[KeepFit]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = KeepFitPartModule
        strActivityLevel = CRAMPED
    }
}

@PART[orbitaiespod]:NEEDS[KeepFit]:AFTER[KeepFit]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = KeepFitPartModule
        strActivityLevel = COMFY
    }
}

//CxAerospace

@PART[2MGymHab]:NEEDS[KeepFit]:AFTER[KeepFit]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = KeepFitPartModule
        strActivityLevel = EXERCISING
    }
}

@PART[2MNapHabV1]:NEEDS[KeepFit]:AFTER[KeepFit]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = KeepFitPartModule
        strActivityLevel = COMFY
    }
}

@PART[2MNode1]:NEEDS[KeepFit]:AFTER[KeepFit]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = KeepFitPartModule
        strActivityLevel = COMFY
    }
}

When I get time the one I really want is Tantares but there are a LOT of parts to go through there!

Anyway I hope these are useful - I love the mod!

1 hour ago, EvilMurk said:

I have also done some for a few of the other mods I use. Main ones being AIES and CxAerospace. If you want to use them they're here:

Reveal hidden contents

//AIES

@PART[moduldesspod]:NEEDS[KeepFit]:AFTER[KeepFit]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = KeepFitPartModule
        strActivityLevel = CRAMPED
    }
}

@PART[orbitaiespod]:NEEDS[KeepFit]:AFTER[KeepFit]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = KeepFitPartModule
        strActivityLevel = COMFY
    }
}

//CxAerospace

@PART[2MGymHab]:NEEDS[KeepFit]:AFTER[KeepFit]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = KeepFitPartModule
        strActivityLevel = EXERCISING
    }
}

@PART[2MNapHabV1]:NEEDS[KeepFit]:AFTER[KeepFit]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = KeepFitPartModule
        strActivityLevel = COMFY
    }
}

@PART[2MNode1]:NEEDS[KeepFit]:AFTER[KeepFit]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = KeepFitPartModule
        strActivityLevel = COMFY
    }
}

When I get time the one I really want is Tantares but there are a LOT of parts to go through there!

Anyway I hope these are useful - I love the mod!

Thanks for that, and the appreciation. Ill look at dropping those extra configs in tomorrow.

Timmers

So what is the max G that a pilot can withstand (if in top shape)?

I was looking at dropping some kerbonauts to EVE (with 6.4k mod installed), and it seems that a g-load of about 24g is the best I can get out of it......I doubt they would survive that (guess I may have to go to wimp mode).

11 hours ago, Gaultesian said:

So what is the max G that a pilot can withstand (if in top shape)?

I was looking at dropping some kerbonauts to EVE (with 6.4k mod installed), and it seems that a g-load of about 24g is the best I can get out of it......I doubt they would survive that (guess I may have to go to wimp mode).

Hmm.... could be interesting. I'd be tempted to use something like Graphotron on an unmanned (unkerballed?) test flight/simulation of the re-entry. 24g seems like its on the harsh end of what's even sustainable in the short term. In theory more is definitely possible, and you could always play around with the KeepFit config settings, but sustained over any length of time (re-entry to 6.4k Eve is not going to be over in a few seconds, unlike the kinds of things John Stapp did to himself) ... tricky - breathing might be a real factor.

If (BIG IF - I've not even got around to refactoring the poke my eyes out its so ugly GUI for KeepFit!) I were doing additions to KeepFit, it would be tempting to add a module that can be added into the configuration for capsules to account for things like acceleration couches, G-suits, or at the KSPI level of future tech, things like liquid suspension/immersion Gee mitigation compartments, which may apply a multiplier/fixed limiter to experience Gee effects in short, medium, or long term Gee effects.

Right now though, tbh, its less of a priority as I'm not playing anything of an RSS or larger than average scale Kerbin system nature, so the Gee effects aren't really much of a limiting factor unless I send a crew out to Jool in a tuna can and then expect them to survive their deorbit/re-entry decel.

Of course if anyone else fancies taking that one on ... feel free to send a github pull request and I'll be happy to look at incorporating it!

oh ... you could also consider for Eve, going the spaceplane landing route - should be a gentler re-entry than dropping like an anvil from low orbit.

30 minutes ago, timmers_uk said:

oh ... you could also consider for Eve, going the spaceplane landing route - should be a gentler re-entry than dropping like an anvil from low orbit.

Hehe, yeah, I have yet to dabble in space planes (I have been playing KSP since last April), so it may be an incentive.  I think the EVE gravity well is all screwed up in the 6.4k mod I am currently using:  highest g is 24.6 (the best I could find, and while putting heavily shielded probes through the atmosphere, I immediately hit aero resistance at the very top of the atmosphere (126 km up), then there is an abrupt stop in the aero breaking, and then it resumes once more at around 40k.  I have used the 6.4 k mod before, and there was never an aero break period at the very beginning of the atmosphere (which means the atmospheric density is way too high in the upper, then usual throughout the mid and lower).

That is why I am getting the 24.6g rating in mechjeb:  I hit a dense atmosphere (where it really should not be dense) at 8 km/s.  Looks like I may need to look at the 6.4 k plugin (or get a new one).

I just wanted Jeb to be super-kerbal and make it through a hellish g-force conflagration without becoming kerbal-paste in the command pod.

Cheers.

I just tested a decent onto EVE with these high g-forces.  All crew survived (on regular mode, not wimp mode), and although their keepfit stats look a bit bruised and battered, it's nothing a bit of time in the centrifuge hab module back in orbit won't fix.

This is what I love about mods such as Keepfit, TACS-LS, and Remotetech:  your experience in KSP can be far more rewarding than just lobbing up krew or robotic satellites...one must prepare for the rigours of space itself.

Cheers!

Sorry, but one more thing.  The only thing I would currently critique about Keepfit is the interface.  There is no really effective scroll up-down on the crew list if you have more than 6 crewmembers on your ship/station.  Maybe reduce the font and progress bars a bit.  Other than that (and that is a minor critique, as you have said in previous posts you would like to modify the interface), I love this mod.

1 hour ago, Gaultesian said:

I just tested a decent onto EVE with these high g-forces.  All crew survived (on regular mode, not wimp mode), and although their keepfit stats look a bit bruised and battered, it's nothing a bit of time in the centrifuge hab module back in orbit won't fix.

This is what I love about mods such as Keepfit, TACS-LS, and Remotetech:  your experience in KSP can be far more rewarding than just lobbing up krew or robotic satellites...one must prepare for the rigours of space itself.

Cheers!

Sorry, but one more thing.  The only thing I would currently critique about Keepfit is the interface.  There is no really effective scroll up-down on the crew list if you have more than 6 crewmembers on your ship/station.  Maybe reduce the font and progress bars a bit.  Other than that (and that is a minor critique, as you have said in previous posts you would like to modify the interface), I love this mod.

Oh absoutely, I don't like the interface myself, but coding for a living I've found it very hard to get motivation to re implement the UI code for KeepFit - ideally I'd find someone who likes doing UI code, and split the KeepFit code apart so it provides the guts + backend, and have someone else expose the nice UI to front it up. Maybe the new UI requirements in 1.1 will take me over that hump, as the current Unity GUILayout based code gives me the angers, because its ... odd ... to say the least.

On your specific issue, you could go temporarily wimp-mode (and suffer nothing but the eternal shame of knowing you've played a sandbox game how you like it, rather than according to some arbitrary requirement of happenstance co-incidence between 6.4k kerbol, stock aerodynamics (? or is it FAR?), and KeepFit) for this slightly iffy sounding re-entry, then switch it back on afterwards.

edit : missed the 'or' ... or you can edit the gee-tolerances which I just checked and realised are stored in the scenario node in the savedata, not globally in the plugin dir - look in https://github.com/timmersuk/Timmers_KSP/blob/master/Timmers/KeepFit/GameConfig.cs to help find where to look. I'm pretty sure I didn't expose those settings via the settings UI.

Edited by timmers_uk

Nope, I would rather not play Keepfit than go to Wimp mode. I know people like that option, but I like to keep it a bit dangerous.  Knowing the physical limitations of the kerbals (duh, if I just looked at their keepfit stats, I would see their upper limits), gives me a sense of danger and adventure.   I also keep 'Use best module on ship'  mode offline.  Makes for some really strategic ship building at the beginning of the game, especially if you want to lob some kerbals to another planet.  Initially, going to the Mun or Minmus can be done with comfy rooms, and space stations can also live with comfy spaces, but, just like in real-life, one must come back down to earth to realize how zero-g life has been treating you.  Later in the game, when the ring hab (from the habitat pack) and the gym hab (from cx's module pack) are accessible, then you can start thinking long-term space voyages or space station visits.  Couple this with the 6.4k resize mod, and time in space becomes a very big factor indeed.

Maybe next time, I will try to land on Jool :D.  I wonder if poor Jebidiah will accept that mission.

I can understand your predicament with the UI.  It is serviceable, but just needs a bit of tweaking to get it from serviceable to wonderful.    I know it will get done sometime in the future.

• 5 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.