[Parts, WIP] ACI - Aeropod Pre-Release 3 (31/01/13)

Quellcrist

After much tinkering and a complete redo of the mesh and texture i m presenting you the Aeropod Mk Ic

mU43Fl1.png

Update: Pre-Release 3: All new model and texture, finishing bump mapping and detailing before uplaoding tonight

Update: Pre-Release 2: Added a variant as Aeropod Mk Ib, taking into account the remarks in this thread. Added a hatch (finaly figured it).

Please do download this to test as i want to be sure that there is no bugs or texture issues.

Released under CC-BY SA 4.0

ACI AeroPod Mk Ic

Javascript is disabled. View full album

DropBox Download PR-1

DropBox Download PR-2

DropBox Download PR-3

ps: I am not begging you to use this, but since i m really a beginner in modeling and such i d really like to know what i have/have not done wrong. And if you like this even better :)

Edited by Quellcrist
Update

Nice work! I like it, now for some hopefully constructive criticism, basically the only thing that's sticking out for me is the cockpit the only thing that I would do is change the texture of it to something like the B9 pack has done or the stock KSP airplane cockpit would be even better. Anyways good job! :D

Just looking at the photos, I have a few comments, constructive criticism, if that's okay?

The main problem I see here is that the proportions aren't quite right. This is a 1.25 meter part, yes? It appears to be mounted to the stock 1.25m Liquid Fuel fuselage, anyway. So, okay, think about it: If a Kerbal were to sit inside of a 1.25 meter diameter hollow pipe, that would be a pretty fug snit, especially if he's wearing his helmet. Now, visualize trying to cram that same head with helmet up into this tiny little narrow canopy... see my point? Now go one step further, think about where the rest of his body would be, stuffed into that pointy little nose.

I'm not saying that everything in KSP has to be absolutely 100% properly scaled, heck, Squad's own cockpits aren't much better about this. But, if we have an opportunity to make changes now, why not?

Anyway, my first thought after examining the pics was that the proportions of the canopy and nose would be much better if this were scaled up to 2.5 meters. Then the cockpit area would look to be a better fit for a Kerbal pilot. :) And the air intake would be bigger too, as a bonus

On balance, however, I think this is a pretty good-looking part. I think the transition from the fluted/quasi-diamond-shaped cockpit into the circular fuselage shape could be a little smoother, but I'm not sure exactly how.

In any event, I think I'll download this at my earliest opportunity, it certainly bears investigation. :)

I look forward to watching the ongoing development of this and any other parts you come up with, Quellcrist.

Keep on keepin' on. :D

Pre-release 3 is there :)

I m very happy with the new texture, think i found a workflow that does work for me.

please do test this to check for any bug please :)

ps: I left the 2 first version in the pack but i ll most probably redo them or omit them altogether.

Wow! Version 3 looks fantastic! :D

I don't build airplanes. SPACEplanes, occasionally, but I don't really see the need to build an AIRplane in a game called 'Kerbal SPACE Program'. (Emphasis added by me, obviously)

However, these parts are looking cool enough that I might just have to DL them anyway, I'm sure I can find a way to create some kind of sci-fi looking spacecraft with them, lol. :) As I mentioned in a previous post, I think version 1 would look much better scaled up to fit 2.5 meter hulls, but that's a very simple config edit.

Yep, gonna get these tonight. Congrats on your excellent work, and on your commitment to improvement by accepting constructive criticism. :)

Btw, I recommend leaving all previous versions available to download, at least for a while. Let us try each of them out and judge them on their own merits. Perhaps a feature of one is better than the others in one case, but vice-versa in another. This way, you can later take the best features of all three and incorporate them into a future part. :) Just an idea, food for thought.

Hm, after looking at v3 again, I only have one minor note, and it's a purely aesthetic one: In the third pic down, where it's shown in profile - my preference would be to see the mouth, or 'face', of the intake angled back just a bit from top to bottom. No more than 15 degrees, just enough to make it 'look' a bit more swoopy. :) I know, in real life this probably wouldn't matter a damn in terms of performance, might even hinder it slightly for all I know. But like I said, I'm just going by looks alone. :)

My 2 cents, for what it's worth. :D

Later!

i think the cockpit needs to be much larger. That does not look like it could fit a Kerbal :P

Well i ve pondered the issue at length, kerbals are supposed to be around 80cm talls, the cabin inside is about 55cm height so a sitting kerbal could reasonnably sit there. And dont forget this is a Hi Tech piece of equipment, nothing is perfect in the first version :)

Wow! Version 3 looks fantastic! :D

I don't build airplanes. SPACEplanes, occasionally, but I don't really see the need to build an AIRplane in a game called 'Kerbal SPACE Program'. (Emphasis added by me, obviously)

However, these parts are looking cool enough that I might just have to DL them anyway, I'm sure I can find a way to create some kind of sci-fi looking spacecraft with them, lol. :) As I mentioned in a previous post, I think version 1 would look much better scaled up to fit 2.5 meter hulls, but that's a very simple config edit.

Yep, gonna get these tonight. Congrats on your excellent work, and on your commitment to improvement by accepting constructive criticism. :)

Btw, I recommend leaving all previous versions available to download, at least for a while. Let us try each of them out and judge them on their own merits. Perhaps a feature of one is better than the others in one case, but vice-versa in another. This way, you can later take the best features of all three and incorporate them into a future part. :) Just an idea, food for thought.

Hm, after looking at v3 again, I only have one minor note, and it's a purely aesthetic one: In the third pic down, where it's shown in profile - my preference would be to see the mouth, or 'face', of the intake angled back just a bit from top to bottom. No more than 15 degrees, just enough to make it 'look' a bit more swoopy. :) I know, in real life this probably wouldn't matter a damn in terms of performance, might even hinder it slightly for all I know. But like I said, I'm just going by looks alone. :)

My 2 cents, for what it's worth. :D

Later!

Thanks a bunch , as i said i only started 3D modeling 10 days ago, so i learned a bunch of stuffs doing these. Once i figured that bloody UVunwrap thing the texturing got much better too.

I tried an angled version but didnt select it, i might however get back to it to test it again. And regarding a 2.5m variant i got one planned :) but it s gonna be another mesh :)

Edited by Quellcrist

Thanks a bunch , as i said i only started 3D modeling 10 days ago, so i learned a bunch of stuffs doing these. One i figured that bloody uVunwrap thing the texturing got much better too.

I tried an angled version but didnt select it, i might however get back to it to test it again. Anbd regarding a 2.5m variant i got one planned :) but it s gonna be another mesh :)

Wow again! 10 days... Lol, there are mods posted elsewhere on this forum that have been in development for, literally, over a YEAR with NO content yet available for download, and here you've just started 3d modeling 10 days ago and you've already banged out three parts... I just find that funny. :)

Also glad to hear about new stuff being worked on. I'll certainly be looking forward to that too. They'll be ready in, what, a couple of hours? ;P Lol, just kidding.

Again, keep up the great work, Quellcrist, and thanks for the work you've already done. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get why people are complaining about the cockpit size on this thing, the mk1 cockpit is much worse in terms of size. Now my only issue (not to say that I like this beautiful part any less because of it) is the strange shape as the part tries to expand to 1 meter. I feel like that transition from intake to back could be smoother.

Took the cockpit for a spin. Goes nice with the B9 set.

There was one bug that I noticed in career mode. The mkIc cockpit is accidentally named the mkIb, which means that it is not unlockable in career mode since, in that case, the mkIb cockpit already exists. Correcting the name in the part.cfg file corrects the bug.

ewQJxYB.jpg

I don't get why people are complaining about the cockpit size on this thing, the mk1 cockpit is much worse in terms of size. Now my only issue (not to say that I like this beautiful part any less because of it) is the strange shape as the part tries to expand to 1 meter. I feel like that transition from intake to back could be smoother.

I realized that problem as well, it s due to me choosing a too low number of vertices for my original cylinder and other issues like this (as i m quite new to modeling i m learning those things as i go :) )

In any case i m rebuilding that mesh and you can expect a mk Ic bloc 1 in a few days.

Took the cockpit for a spin. Goes nice with the B9 set.

There was one bug that I noticed in career mode. The mkIc cockpit is accidentally named the mkIb, which means that it is not unlockable in career mode since, in that case, the mkIb cockpit already exists. Correcting the name in the part.cfg file corrects the bug.

http://i.imgur.com/ewQJxYB.jpg

dully noted this will be corrected in next PR , before end of the week.

ps: yes i m trying to have a color scheme that should go nicely along B9 or stock

Edited by Quellcrist

• 2 weeks later...

Quick news

I have been rather busy last two weeks so havent progressd as fast as i d like. Redid mesh for Mk Ic, and working on texture plus addition of onboard searchlight.

To make you guys wait it out a bit please enjoy the eye candy :)

mct8yRdl.jpg

If you fancy having this as a desktop wallpaper: ACI AeroPod Mk Ic bloc 1 (1920x1080)

ps: dont dream it wont look as good in game, that rendered model is like 3.5 millions triangles :). plus the shaders are much more limited.

Edited by Quellcrist

Quick news

I have been rather busy last two weeks so havent progressd as fast as i d like. Redid mesh for Mk Ic, and working on texture plus addition of onboard searchlight.

To make you guys wait it out a bit please enjoy the eye candy :)

http://i.imgur.com/mct8yRdl.jpg

If you fancy having this as a desktop wallpaper: ACI AeroPod Mk Ic bloc 1 (1920x1080)

ps: dont dream it wont look as good in game, that rendered model is like 3.5 millions triangles :). plus the shaders are much more limited.

Very nice! Look forward to the next update. This mod has already become my go-to mod for 1.25 m cockpits.

it still dosent look like it can fit kerbals wich is what worries me D: It looks so good cause I'd like to use it on My A-7 / F-8 builds but D: kerbals wont fit so I'm just like D:

maybe the kerbals are sitting inside the cockpit like one would sit on a motorcycle

• 3 weeks later...

I cant wait to make one of these!

7UhuLJK.jpg

so I tested it out...and...it really needs to be bigger.the scale is wrong and that limits me in what I can make.The part it self isn't bad.it just doesn't fit well with the b9 parts even though the 3rd ones colour scheme is ok.the problem is the scale.

Edited by techstepman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.