Timewarp Rotation Fix

skykooler

• 3 weeks later...

I know this plugin isn't exactly "rated" for 0.25, but I've been using it anyway. The only bug I've really seen is that the ships seem to rotate slightly faster than necessary to maintain the same surface rotation. It's not a huge issue; at 50x warp my pitch changes by about 90 degrees in 3 minutes (80k orbit around Kerbin. I'm not sure how many orbits it was; I lost count).

I also haven't really seen the "phantom torque" that people have been talking about, at least not as badly as they've made it sound. When dropping out of warp the ship jitters a little, but other than that its great.

This is all in full stock, except for this.

• 4 weeks later...
Could this mod be adapted to give asteroids an initial and after that persistent rotation?

Asteroids are treated as ships. So right now if you manually spin an asteroid it will have a persistent rotation. I will look into giving them an initial rotation when I get my dev machine back.

skykooler, have you managed to make any progress on the bug on coming out of timewarp increaing your rotation yet?

Not yet, currently do not have access to my dev laptop, so no plugin work until Christmas (this one doesn't have space to install Unity stuff).

• 1 month later...

Id like to use this mod as its a good concept on paper, but the stock KSP has too many rotational bugs to make this work realistically. I always have to timewarp stop my space stations kraken wobble wibble due to the Canadarm2 moving payload. Then there is the "burn together" bug that is still present in .90 which makes docking impossible. Once the stock game can fix these issues Id love to use your mod :)

• 2 weeks later...

Small suggestion: If SAS is ON during timewarp then flicker it OFF and then ON again right after getting out of warp. This way the ship will keep stationary. Currently it starts returning to the absolute attitude it had before warp. Looks weird and is very nasty on large ships.

Also, not that it wasn't already mentioned, some integration with MechJeb would be nice. Like SmartASS acting the same way as stock SAS and keeping the craft in the same position during the warp if maneuver planner functions are active.

On a side note: vessels following planet's curvature as they orbit looks awesome! Just like those timelapses from aboard ISS.

P.S. I still use .25 as .90 is too much for my old crap of a PC. Dunno, they actually have even older PCs in real space now... But that doesn't help me anyways.

Edited by sashan

• 3 weeks later...
Any chance of this being updated? For me it just caused my station to spazz out and spin madly when I time warped. XD

I miss this plugin

Yeah, it needs an update: the new SAS autopilot system can be used to set where it should be pointing at.

• 2 weeks later...
Doesn't this mod have a pretty severe problem of throwing you into interstellar space? Not the one you linked, Timewarp rotation fix.

I'm not sure I ever ran into that during the brief time I used it...

What I did run into was ships rotating faster every time you slow down from timewarp, which was slightly frustrating. Still though, this was a beautiful mod. I wish someone would pick it up again.

• 3 weeks later...

This mod constantly spins the crafts apart. Really annoying. My kerbals had to stay in orbit around Jool for 2 years due to that.

Also, executing maneuver nodes is difficult. This is solvable by using sas autopilot to point the direction tho.

Ok I have done some little tweaks already. First, the new SAS modes are being used. So you have the old "I won't rotate while warping" with Stability Assist and a new "ISS mode" which is being triggered by every other SAS mode. The vessel will then point in the same direction relatively to the Center of the Celestial Body it is orbiting. That's what Sashan was talking about. How those two modes are triggered is still subject to change, but both work. Also, I threw out a ton of calculation for when the SAS should stop rotation (relatively to the torque, and the available ressources for Reaction Wheels and RCS) and how it should drain those ressources because that seemed to make some trouble. (eg mass lowering while warping etc.) There is still one little problem, when returning to Space Center and going back to a rotating vessel, it automatically spins faster by ~60% as far as I realized. I will fix this soon. Link and thread will come tomorrow, I am tired. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Also thinking about changing what the ISS mode should do exactly. Maybe it should just automatically point the vessel at the "targeted rotation" (e.g. prograde) as long as the rotation of the vessel when entering timewarp differs only by some degrees. (Otherwise you could just select a SAS mode and turn TW on for a short moment and it would point in the wished direction). Anyways, the effect would be the same (given your vessel is in a circular orbit) when comparing it to the current version. Please remind me that I said "when entering", because that will have a new entry to the vessel_rotations.cfg file as consequence.

Sorry, just writing down ideas :D

Edited by MarkusA380

Wow never expected a turn around that fast! I am a little confused on what you wrote though.

First, the new SAS modes are being used. So you have the old "I won't rotate while warping" with Stability Assist and a new "ISS mode" which is being triggered by every other SAS mode.

What is the new SAS modes? Are you saying I have the option while using the mod to not use the mod with a certain SAS mode? And what "other" SAS modes trigger it? Is that everything, but the standard lvl 1 SAS?

P.S. You said when entering ;)

Wow never expected a turn around that fast! I am a little confused on what you wrote though.

What is the new SAS modes? Are you saying I have the option while using the mod to not use the mod with a certain SAS mode? And what "other" SAS modes trigger it? Is that everything, but the standard lvl 1 SAS?

P.S. You said when entering ;)

We mean the new SAS widgets that allows you to point your craft at a certain orbital direction:

B4_1epvCQAAbjmm.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.