My Rant on Science

Science is a cool feature. That is a fact. However, the current implementation is far from accurate and it kinda hurts the gameplay.

Science as of now is a miracle resource. You find it in new places and you build all your new tech out of it. All science is identical. A science point from a crew report on the launchpad is exactly the same as a science point from an atmospheric pressure reading from Jool's lower atmosphere. The can both be spent on any technology in the entire tree. :0.0:

I say that the science system needs an overhaul!

FOR EXAMPLE:

First, you should start out with solid boosters that get lower end ISP's. After some data on the rocket and how it flies is collected with instruments, It should open up options to develop improvements to those SRB's and, after some upper atmosphere science, open up the thrust tweakable and possibly liquid fuel rockets. :cool:

The system for getting new parts would be pretty complicated. The first step towards awesome parts is to send a probe with all the scanning parts to the celestial body you are interested in. Then, your scientists tell you the possible technological advancements and what to do to further progress toward them.

FOR EXAMPLE:

If you want to improve armor plating then you might take samples of craters on the Mün for meteor chunks containing new metals. After you find a crater containing a new metal, you could take the samples back to Kerbin where you can initiate research on the utilization of those metals. The research would probably cost a significant sum of cash but, after completing it, you can equip your vehicles with this new and more advanced metal for a small amount of extra money per part.

All in all, I don't know how the economical system will work, but I really hope that Squad makes some significant changes to science. :)

Add what you think about science and how it should be changed.

Science is more about gameplay than about realism. One can consider it a puzzle to figure out what to unlock in what order to progress the quickest way possible.

At the same time by gradually introducing new parts to newbie users it helps to make it easier to master the game.

I don't think that "science" was intended to be "realistic" at any moment for this game of little green men who need neither air nor food, living on a golf-ball sized planet in a society committed to spaceflight and nothing else.

The system for getting new parts would be pretty complicated

This is where you lost me....

I think your missing the target audience. A lot of the appeal of the game is its simplicity.

The game needs a low barrier to entry and a shallow learning curve to keep people playing. Meaning the first time player doesn't need a PHD material sciences to progress in the game.

KSP is a gateway drug to higher levels of science. The game should get young minds interested in more complex mechanics of the universe not simulate them.

KSP is a gateway drug to higher levels of science. The game should get young minds interested in more complex mechanics of the universe not simulate them.

Dont foget the slightly more aged minds like mine. Going back to college to do a levels then get an engineering degree. This game re ignited my love of science. I stopped loving it after i discovered how to use me genetalia when i was younger. I'm gonna work for the ESA god dammit!

I would welcome a change to science, but I agree that your proposed change is too complex and doesn't really sound all that fun.

I would like there to multiple branches of science there kind of are now but they have no difference). Rocket Science. Materials Science. Science Science. Atmospheric Science... Dunno how many but I figure just keep making buckets until you've covered all the bases. Then have experiments that get you those kinds of science, and achievements that do so as well. Get into orbit for the first time? You just earned yourself 10 rocket science points. Temperature reading on Mun? That's a bit of materials science and a bit of Science Science. Landed on Laythe? Atmospheric Science it is!

Then to unlock nodes you need a certain amount of each science bucket. So to get the Mainsail/Orange Tank node maybe you need 1000 Rocket science and 250 Materials science. Something like that.

Science is more about gameplay than about realism. One can consider it a puzzle to figure out what to unlock in what order to progress the quickest way possible.

This. And the tech tree isn't just for noobs; I've been playing KSP for a long time and I really enjoy how it shifts emphasis back to the smaller less powerful parts and designs. I agree that it doesn't make a lot of sense - IRL docking port technology is much more about mission priorities and gumption, not about physical science. But in KSP "science" and the "tech tree" are about gameplay, not realism.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.