The model rocket thread

vetrox

No one at Squad, nor anyone on the mod team condones the treatment of animals as conveyed by some posts in this thread. When it comes to spaceflight/high altitude scenarios that require the use of trained, highly prepped animals, please leave that to the experts and bring this thread back on its rails. Thanks.

No one at Squad, nor anyone on the mod team condones the treatment of animals as conveyed by some posts in this thread. When it comes to spaceflight/high altitude scenarios that require the use of trained, highly prepped animals, please leave that to the experts and bring this thread back on its rails. Thanks.

Huh?

Extra super awesome text.

Huh?

Translaiton

The Monkeys you see getting shot into space are done for science that we do learn from, or to test systems that human life relies on, please do not try this at home with any animals.

You risk killing animals for what amounts to nothing other than fun, and Squad does not support that.

Translaiton

The Monkeys you see getting shot into space are done for science that we do learn from, or to test systems that human life relies on, please do not try this at home with any animals.

You risk killing animals for what amounts to nothing other than fun, and Squad does not support that.

Translation of the translation: Someone here mentioned that they'd launched a couple of lizards. This prompted at least one profanity-laced post plus a couple of people like myself being perhaps less potty-mouthed in our denouncements of such actions. All posts were later thrown into the Memory Hole, filed in the bit bucket, moved to /dev/null, leaving no trace except for confusing posts such as this one.

More on topic, I have to wonder how much delta V (and perhaps, thrust) a small pipe with some solidified latex in it, and a nox creamer bulb, would give you as a hybrid engine?

Are there any off the shelf electronics (or even some you have to put together) that can transmit live data? So i can view stuff on my laptop. You know...when i eventually get that high

Once you really get into the hobby, there are a variety of altimeters that transmit to your computer. Perhaps the coolest is the TeleMetrum, which transmits GPS coordinates, altitude, acceleration, and can even deploy parachutes. But it's very expensive, a little finicky and probably shouldn't be used for any rocket that's flying on a F motor or less. I don't have one but it's on my wish list!

http://www.apogeerockets.com/Electronics_Payloads/Altimeters/TeleMetrum_Starter_Set

Anyway, I've never felt that I needed a telemetry output, although occasionally I wish my rockets had GPS units. Then again, I've never flown anything larger than a high-end H motor. Perhaps I should invest some money in a good telemetry unit if I want to go bigger.

By the way. The reason why I keep directing you to Apogee Component's website is that their founder, Tim van Milligan, is a really great guy. I've met him several times and he's always said that he admired my rockets. I think that for that, he should have all of the business he can get.

Anyway, I've never felt that I needed a telemetry output, although occasionally I wish my rockets had GPS units. Then again, I've never flown anything larger than a high-end H motor. Perhaps I should invest some money in a good telemetry unit if I want to go bigger.

If you're going into serious high-powered rocketry, you might be interested in the Rockblock.

Basically, it's an Iridium module that can send and receive short messages to and from anywhere that has a view of the sky. UK online tech magazine The Register is going to be using one to keep track of (and issue commands to) their LOHAN project, which is a pretty awesome Rockoon (or, ahem, "Ballocket") glider project itself and shows off some of the tech you can use for keeping track of, and monitoring the progress of your own high altitude experiments.

More on topic, I have to wonder how much delta V (and perhaps, thrust) a small pipe with some solidified latex in it, and a nox creamer bulb, would give you as a hybrid engine?

Search for "Micro-hybrid" and all will be revealed ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.