Hand Drawing

tajampi

I'm pretty good mechanical drawing artist. Not so good at people (or kerbals unfortunately). A few scribbles I did recently for concepts for parts for KSP:

Detailed Drill.jpg

Smelter2.jpg

A few non-KSP things I did a while back (but still scifi):

alienrobot.jpg

robogirl.jpg

mech.jpg

Um, lots of doodling during Communications engineering classes :) My folder was covered. Would you believe I failed art at school? True. I taught myself posture and positions by drawing robots. Still have difficulty with people though.

This is about the best one with people in I did. Mostly they look pretty bad. This one I liked. Plus aliens are easier than real people... but seriously I tried to draw a kerbal... was not pretty. And no I didn't scan it. *shudders*

adventurers.jpg

Oh I rememeber those kinds of lectures. I used to doodle things from Castle in the sky (in England we called it 'Flying Island of Laputa') or just generic airships/spaceships. Oh, in case anyone wondered here is the fullsize version of my avatar:

robot.jpg

(EDIT: That's both NASA and Russian space agency stuff there right Alchemist? That looks like the N1 at the bottom right)

(And thanks Astopapi. That's one of my favourites too.)

Edited by Patupi

Specs: Really cool! Like the cyborg.... robot... powerarmor... the guy with the monocle and spikey hair... er... or are those antennas sticking out the back? Whatever, it's great.

Potatoes: Oh you are WAY better than me at faces! And apparently at Cerberuses... Cerberi? Cerberum? (Cerabellum?!?) Whatever the plural for hell hounds happens to be ;)

Well, it's actually a walrus wearing a tam o' shanter. xD

You know, i was an artist in the forums of Don't Starve (it's a nice game), and they had one of these in the game, altough not as dapper as in the drawing. :P

And Jamie Hyneman looks a LOT like a walrus xDDD

That's pretty much what I meant. As in from Alice in Wonderland... the Walrus and the Carpenter.

(EDIT: The actual quote from Lewis Carol that people remember is the first bit:

"The time has come," the Walrus said,

"To talk of many things:

Of shoes and ships and sealing wax,

Of cabbages and kings,

And why the sea is boiling hot,

And whether pigs have wings."

That's almost silly enough for me... but I was never keen on Oysters.)

Edited by Patupi

OK, that stuff I showed earlier... well it's all from a long time ago and I haven't really done much since other than sketches. Well, since this got me back into this I just had to prove to myself I could still draw like that so I tried to do some stuff. I did have a go at drawing one the rockets from my KSP AAR, but couldn't get anything to look right. So in the end I just ended up drawing a generic guy in power armor creeping around. At least I didn't foster one of my Kerbals on you *shudder*

powerarmorcreep.jpg

Oh, and I guess I should show off my website... though it's terribly old. I haven't updated it in years. It's basically a collection of my scifi art, the few scupltures I've done, and other bits and bobs.

(EDIT: Incase anyone is wondering, the whole 'metal shine' thing was something I imitated from books I had from RIFTS roleplaying game way back when. Yup, I was rolling funny shaped dice and designing ships and other stuff. Pretty much all scifi, though a bit of fantasy. Traveller (various versions), Palladium stuff (TNMT, RIFTS, Heros), and GURPS, including GURPS Traveller of course)

Edited by Patupi

EDIT: That's both NASA and Russian space agency stuff there right Alchemist? That looks like the N1 at the bottom right

That's all N1-L3.

On the top there are configurations at different stages of the flight:

1) Top-left: LOK + LK + Blok D (tranfer and lunar orbit; the lander is inside a structural fairing that is discarded in craft separation process)

2) Top-right: LK + Blok D (descent configuration, the Blok D stage is used to kill most of the speed and is dropped about a minute before touchdown)

3) Bottom-right: LK on the Moon

4) Bottom-left: LOK+LK docked in lunar orbit

I also have several sketches of Energia-Buran and Space Shuttle all around my notes

OK, that stuff I showed earlier... well it's all from a long time ago and I haven't really done much since other than sketches. Well, since this got me back into this I just had to prove to myself I could still draw like that so I tried to do some stuff. I did have a go at drawing one the rockets from my KSP AAR, but couldn't get anything to look right. So in the end I just ended up drawing a generic guy in power armor creeping around. At least I didn't foster one of my Kerbals on you *shudder*

powerarmorcreep.jpg

Oh, and I guess I should show off my website... though it's terribly old. I haven't updated it in years. It's basically a collection of my scifi art, the few scupltures I've done, and other bits and bobs.

(EDIT: Incase anyone is wondering, the whole 'metal shine' thing was something I imitated from books I had from RIFTS roleplaying game way back when. Yup, I was rolling funny shaped dice and designing ships and other stuff. Pretty much all scifi, though a bit of fantasy. Traveller (various versions), Palladium stuff (TNMT, RIFTS, Heros), and GURPS, including GURPS Traveller of course)

Funny, I was just going to ask where the inspiration came from. I was going to guess Colin Wilson the artist, not the writer, (and don't get me wrong, they're both fantastic.:wink:) or Brett Ewins.

It's the shading that gets me.

God, never knew the name of the artist for 2000 AD comics! Huh. I grew up on Judge dredd and rogue trooper etc. Never saw much of Nemesis, but what I saw I really liked. Nice to have the humans be the bad guys :) As a kid I never was very attentive on who did things like that. Half the time I didn't even know the name of songs I liked to listen to!

I don't think I actually owned the RIFTS books so probably never found out what the artist was. There was some good art in the GURPS books, but that generally was from multiple different artists with wildly different styles. Maybe I'll do a google on RIFTS? See what I come up with on who that was.

(EDIT: Haven't got a name yet, but here's an example of what inspired me back then: ultimax.gif"]Triax Ultimax.

And from the same book, for a different style, and a lovely quote:

Rifts-glitterboy.jpg

)

(2nd EDIT: Got it. His name is Kevin Long )

Edited by Patupi

OK, had ANOTHER attempt to draw a Kerbal and finally got it right. Maybe I was just in a better mood.]

Nice; makes me want to give it a go.... BRB, gonna draw me a Kerbal!

Edited by specs

Looks cool, and way better than my previous attempts (though one was me trying to draw a goggle eyed Kerbal with the wind knocked out of him. Looked like he'd been through a garbage compactor!). One thing, I think the helmet is a bit large compared to the head... but then again the one I drew up above the helmet is too small for the head (and the head is not quite central either).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.