Laythe 11

Deadpangod3

So I have to write a story for my English class, so I decided to write about my Laythe mission,

Problem is,

ITS DUE TOMMOROW AND I DONT EVEN HAVE THE FIRST CHAPTER DONE!!!

And I have to go to bed soon so im pretty much screwed, but I figured I'd post the chapters here as I make a valiant attempt to finish it, for now I'll leave you with a prologue:

Laythe 11

Prologue

July 27, 1969 AD

Mission Control Room, Kerbal Space Center

The ghostly picture of the Mün's surface with a lander covering a quarter floods the main screen, a Kerbal climbs down the ladder, and steps onto the surface, saying "That's one small step for a Kerbal, one giant leap for Kerbalkind." Everyone around the world immediately begins clapping, because Jebediah Kerman has just become the first Kerbal to set foot on the Mün, KerbalKinds first step onto an alien moon, the first of many.

A lot of Asimov's robots had names from acronyms. If it's a 'Partially Self-aware Computer xxxx' something or other, (with the 'xxxx' as something specific relating to your story and the computer's purpose) why not name it 'Pesky'?

Okay, kiddo, here's a top tip from a guy who tried to do a Creative Writing degree. Get yourself the largest pack of Skittles you can find, and eat the whole lot at a gulp. Then make yourself a very strong coffee with lots of sugar, add a spoonful of hot chocolate and tip in at least two fingers of spirits. Stir well and drink while you work. Works like a charm, and it's cheaper than proper speed!

Fun fact:

Writing is hard! :(

I've settled on the name, and reduced the number of AIs from two to one, yes, I was planning to have two seperate AIs.

Anyways, for now, I'll leave you with this sneak peak into the first chapter:

"All systems online." a computer like voice said, that was our AI, Mechjeb, he was created as an autopilot, he does any maneuver almost perfectly, and if you didn't know better, when you heard his voice you'd probably think he was Kerbal, "All systems are functioning correctly." Mechjeb said. "Alright, when can we expect Jeb and Erbal up here?" I asked.

"KSC is preparing the landers for launch at this very moment, Pan."

"I told you to call me Dead, not Pan."

"Whoops, my mistake."

Alright, I've got the first chapter done

Enjoy! :)

Chapter 1: A Great Journey Begins.

Forty Years Later

"Three, two, one, liftoff." A voice says through the radio as the ship rockets into the sky, ten minutes later we were in orbit, docking to the main transfer vehicle for our mission, a one hundred ton monster, fit with twenty nuclear engines to push us all the way to Jool. The second farthest planet and only gas giant in our solar system, three of its moons are the size of planets, one of these, Laythe, is unique in a special way.

When it was first observed through a telescope many years ago, it was immediately noted its similarity to Kerbin, our home planet. With what appeared to be liquid water on its surface, and lots of it, so much that most of its surface was water, and covered in islands, ranging from small to large and anything in between. It appeared to have no life on it, since the islands looked like pure sand, it was like a world straight out of science fiction, just waiting for life.

In 2004 KASA pointed a telescope at Laythe to collect data on the reflected light to determine its content, apon reviewing the data on the atmosphere, the scientist immediately stormed out of the room and ran straight to the directors office. The data on the reflected light showed characteristics of oxygen in the atmosphere, pointing evermore towards the possibility of Laythe being habitable.

That is our mission, to find out wether Laythe is habitable or not, many things say it is, and many things say it isn't. It is way too far from Kerbol to be warm enough to have liquid water, so something else has to be heating it up, or trapping the heat from Kerbol, it appeared to have an atmosphere almost exactly like Kerbin's.

"All systems online." a computer like voice said, that was our AI, Mechjeb, he was created as an autopilot, he does any maneuver almost perfectly, and if you didn't know better, when you heard his voice you'd probably think he was Kerbal, "All systems are functioning correctly." Mechjeb said. "Alright, when can we expect Jeb and Erbal up here?" I asked. "KSC is preparing the landers for launch at this very moment, Pan."

"I told you to call me Dead, not Pan."

It's not easy living with the name "Deadpangod3"

"Whoops, my mistake.." Mechjeb replied.

"Well, while we wait, I'm going to rest in my bunk." Bob said.

"Don't fall when you get into the centrifuge." Bill said.

I still couldn't get over the fact that I was here, with Bill and Bob, two of the three men aboard Kerpollo 11 when we first went to the Mün. Bill was the second kerbal to set foot on the Mün, after Jeb. Bob stayed in the Command Module orbiting the Mün while they were on the surface, suddenly, a loud thud came from the centrifuge.

"Oww" Bob groaned.

Bill sighed, "I'll go help him."

"My face hurts." Bob groaned.

"I warned you." Bill replied.

"Hey, I found my watch!" Bob cried.

"Really? Where was it? My sensors couldn't detect it anywhere." Mechjeb said.

"Under my pillow!" Bob replied.

"The Tooth Fairy paid you a visit." I said, laughing.

"Jeb to Laythe 11." A voice came from the radio. "I'm about two kilometers out and coming in."

"Roger, I have you on visual" I replied.

A couple minutes later Jeb in one of the landers was floating towards the docking port behind one of the unmanned landers, "five meters, three, two, one." He said, the docking port hit with a thud, but instead of the usual latching sound, there was nothing.

"Mechjeb, can you confirm the docking ports are secured?" I asked. "No, there seems to be a problem, sensors indicate it was damaged during launch." Mechjeb replied. "What about the docking port on the other side of the ship?" I asked. "It appears to be damaged too." Mechjeb said. "Jeb, there's a problem with the docking ports, they're damaged beyond use." I said over the radio. "Dang, how are we going to bring the landers with then? We can't land on Laythe without them." Jeb replied, "I don't know, let's contact KSC and let them decide." I said. "KSC, this is Laythe 11, come in." I said over the radio.

"Go ahead Laythe 11."

"It appears the docking ports for the manned landers were damaged during launch, Jeb can't dock."

"Ahh, crap, we'll try to figure something out, for now, Jeb, deorbit and let us know when you land."

"Ok" Jeb said, with a tone like he'd just been given a free spaceship to do anything with.

"Oh, and Jeb,"

"Yeah?" Jeb replied.

"Don't land on top of the VAB again like last time, its a pain to get stuff down from there."

"I'm not making any promises." Jeb said.

The lander receded with bursts of RCS, then turned retrograde. the engine started and Jeb starting laughing maniacally over the radio.

"SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!" He yelled.

"Is he always like that?" I asked Bill, who was just returning from helping Bob.

"Yeah, just be glad he doesn't have an SRB, last time he found the key to the SRB warehouse, he rode one straight into the VAB, and don't get me started about the time the goverment tried to cut KASA's funding, its a wonder what he can do with a few SRB's and a few hundred rolls of duct tape, there's still a faint smell of rocket fuel in the congress building." Bill said. Two hours later, I was looking at the Mün, hoping I would get to go there one day, to stand on the surface like Jeb once did.

"Laythe 11, this is KSC, come in Laythe 11."

"Go ahead KSC." I said.

"There's been a change of plans."

"Ok..." I said, worrying that the mission was being canceled.

"We've had to entirely redesign the landers, and we're sending them on a second ship."

"Are you insane!?" I cried.

"Nope. Jeb and Erbal are going on the second ship."

"Ok." I said.

"We're launching the second transfer vehicle now. And after the landers are docked, "James and Shepdas are coming up there, so expect company soon, KSC out."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.