Do you use SpaceShuttles??

panzerknoef

Do you use Space Shuttles?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use Space Shuttles?

• Yes, I always use Space Shuttles
    • No, who cares about complicated shuttles if you can use easier things

Personally I think the space shuttle is iconic, so I would feel remiss to not try to replicate it in KSP. After weeks of trying (and failing), I eventually downloaded a shuttle engines pack that provides engines with a wider gimballing range and finally succeeded. The cargo carrying version is useless as it can only lift about 3 tonnes into a low orbit, but the crew shuttle is decent.

I wrote a mission report about the development. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66965-Developing-a-shuttle-program-Pic-Heavy

SAXDePO.jpg

I do use large VTOL SSTO shuttlecraft to ferry workers and cargo into LKO stations, where they are assembled into interplanetary craft and sent onto missions to other planets or used to construct new stations for assembly and research.

Think of it as a winged SSTO rocket with an plane cockpit.

B9, PWings, and the shuttle pivot engines mod = piece of cake building shuttles.

I traded out KW for a watered down B9 (sans all the structural components I never use) and for shuttle engines. I'll be building one this afternoon to take the empty fuel cans up to the Nebulon to finish out the grand tour.

Your poll options are "I always use shuttles" or "I never use shuttles." I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that this leaves out the vast majority of users, who may sometimes use shuttles.

Darn, you're completely right! If a moderator could perhaps fix it? Otherwise it'll just be as it is

Never. Tried them dont' like them.

I prefer drop pods and general lifters (be they expendable or otherwise) for my LKO infrastructure. Not only are they just plain simpler and more rugged for their purposes, but the drop pods in particular are just cooler.

I have tried to make space shuttles or reusable craft, or SSTO's, but I just can't manage it at my current skill level. It's all basic, "use and throwaway" rockets, with only the capsule and science payload returning to Kerbin, the boosters, and engines are all floating in LKO, around the sun, or on the surface of the Mun.

Actually, to be honest I do use my space shuttle a lot, but I haven't managed to build a cargo carrying one yet, i'm working on it though. And my space shuttle doesn't really follow the real life shuttle design lines, i'll post a picture of it soon ;)

The standard U.S. Space Shuttle design does not seem very useful in KSP, and is very difficult to get to work stock. So I use SSTO rockets to shuttle crew to my space station, and reusable staged rocket to lift payloads.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.