Seems like I'm missing something with hatches...

So I finally docked a couple parts together with my space station. I'm using the modules from the nova punch addon. The one that has hatches at both ends and then two sets of 4 along the sides. I've got two kerbals in it but it says the hatch is obstructed. There are 10 hatches! I carefully avoided anything in the way of each hatch. They have docks on them though is that the problem? It looks like they're able to open the hatches even with the docks in place and all of the docks are in "hatch" mode. I then attached a science unit, airlock, and the observation window thing to it. Still they say hatch is obstructed. My poor kerbals, is there no hope of letting them stretch their legs on an Eva? I've gone to each hatch as well and chosen "control from here" still no luck.

Did you take a photograph of your screen? >.> Press F1 and look at the "Screenshots" folding in KSP's install directory!

I don't know much about the mod you're using, but if there is anything not part of the module that is attached in top of the hatch, that is an obstruction. Even if it looks like there's a hatch, or if the attached part is "hollow" and you can see the hatch through it, it's still obstructed.

=Smidge=

Lol yeah. Just easier right now with my kids running around to use photobucket app. I just have this thing open all day and get to it when kids nap. So even with that open docking system where you can individually select the hatch door it still considers it an obstruction? So you think if I just have one open hatch it will let them out or does it have to be a certain hatch. When I select the internal view it looks like the kerbal is sitting right in the middle of the two modules. That's where my remote control ring is.

If you hadn't said it was the Novapunch pack I'd have guessed those modules were from the FustekStation Expansion. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/35043-0-21-FusTek-Station-Parts-Expansion-%28R0-03-5a%29

With those you can only eva from 1 of the end hatches on each module and you usually cover them when you connect something else to the module. The crew manifest mod that Taki117 suggested is what the mode creator suggests. Is that the airlock module on the far side of your station in shadow? You'd normally use the manifest to transfer crew there to EVA from. When they come back in you use the manifest to move them back to their duty station.

You could go back to the space center, put a couple of crew in one and stick it on the launchpad to see where they EVA from. Then you'll know for sure.

If you hadn't said it was the Novapunch pack I'd have guessed those modules were from the FustekStation Expansion. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/35043-0-21-FusTek-Station-Parts-Expansion-%28R0-03-5a%29

With those you can only eva from 1 of the end hatches on each module and you usually cover them when you connect something else to the module. The crew manifest mod that Taki117 suggested is what the mode creator suggests. Is that the airlock module on the far side of your station in shadow? You'd normally use the manifest to transfer crew there to EVA from. When they come back in you use the manifest to move them back to their duty station.

You could go back to the space center, put a couple of crew in one and stick it on the launchpad to see where they EVA from. Then you'll know for sure.

Pretty sure they ARE the Fustek Modules, the bit on the far right of the station is clearly a FusTek docking ring with the blades in the passive position. and the bit at the top definitely looks like the Legacy Airlock from Fustek, so this bit might actually be helpful (And may require a station rebuild)

Vjuzk0t.png

you're right its the fusetek. I'm still super new to all this. I test stuff out on the road on my crappy old laptop then do it on my home PC with good graphics,etc. Looks like you can still do an eva with those modules though. i'll have to delve deeper into it. I downloaded the manifest mod so I'll play around with it...

Side question if you don't mind...

I flew a couple other modules up and docked them both successfully. Then my kids must have hit something becase I came back to an exploded ship. I had done a quick save just after docking the first addon but when I go back to the quick save the docking ports won't capture. Even using mechjeb. they have a perfect contact and then just never latch on. I've verified that everything is in docking mode too. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks for all the help. This game is amazing. Though I don't know how anyone has time to master any of it with a regular job. I fly for an airline so I've spent hours and hours trying dock on my own in hotel rooms.

If you don't know what a Kraken strike is... it's when something pear shaped happens and things blow up for no reason. And yeah, we all get them every so often.

I remember my first trip to Duna where two of my crew were stuck in a module where the exit was blocked. Thank god for Crew Manifest mod is all I can say. It lets you move your kerbals without going outside (which is great for blocked doors) - perfect for moving your Kerbals from the interplanetary habitat to the lander internally.

I recommend dockinf cam mod by lazor for easier time. You'd still dock manually but it takes the annoyance out by showing graphically your alignment and movement vectors.. A must have for bases with a bunch of docking ports.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.