Harnessing the Kraken: Eeloo in 11 hours!

Comrade Jenkens

Do you think a Krakeb Drive is possible?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think a Krakeb Drive is possible?

• In Practice
    • In Theory
    • Not at all

Might as well mention my current project.

Some of you are familiar with my Arkingthaad lander tower series. I've decided to turn it up from 11 and all the way to "Krakenbait". Here is a prototype "sizing" of the central column. When done it will consist of twenty five such columns, subject to change during testing, of course:

w00eEU0.png

This shall be the Arkingthaad Nadir.

#EDIT: Found the first problem: Spacing. The plan I have now has the columns far too close together. Need to space them out a bit. Rather than 2 mid trusses apart, I will instead space them with 4 large girders.

#EDIT2: Haha. Scratch the twenty five columns idea. I just finished the reforged central column. Total part count? 1,100. ...yeah, I don't think I'm quite ready for a 25,000+ part build just yet. I'll try nine columns. 10k may be doable.

Edited by Whackjob

I've had a breakthrough! Still not practical but I've managed to move a craft in a controllable way without fuel!

These pictures show the craft and how I've managed to adjust its orbit using pure Kraken power. However the design is still not feasible due to its very low power and I'd much rather try to use docking ports than an exposed kerbal.

The craft

8hFsHYS.png

Orbit Changes - Note I've still kept my inclination accurate while adjusting my orbital speed.

BOCFhMh.png

I78HxXN.png

1- Take out a rover for a spin, a very fast rover, put 2 or 3 probe bodies AND a kerbal in a John Stapp chair.

2- Do a quick save (F5), go for a spin doing physical acceleration time x4 until the rover flips and explodes. Change to nearby objects as fast as you can.

3- Load last save (F9) and repeat until Hell Kraken appears making your sc4ree%n and /insñptr8u(meni8o9=)(/&%$#"#$%&DSUI78UJA-Ñ.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,//////////// 01010111011010010111001000100000011000100110

Edited by Wooks

I managed to find the Kraken (semi-reliably) on a trip to Jool - slamming into Jool with Danyy2462's Planetkiller will either blow you up outright, or flight you across the system at speed. Hard to aim, but warp speeds occur. I tweaked this a bit by welding a small Soyuz-like into one part, then tweaking my trajectory to hit Eve's atmosphere. Fire happened, then the Kraken returned and ate the universe.

Perhaps I should try to get into contact with Danny2462. He seems to know how to attract the Kraken at will! :D

Edit: This device causes itself to spin at high speeds and can sometimes change its orbit. No control though. First progress of a non ladder method.

4CXobTp.png

Edited by Comrade Jenkens

Can you share the craft file of this warp drive?

That would be nice of you.

This could be used for purposes such as:

-non-debug menu cheating;

-science

-even more science.

The craft is in the OP now.

This is a clipped craft but its quite easy to do without clipping as well.

Edited by Comrade Jenkens

Maybe, it is also completely possible that the Kraken being referenced is somewhere that makes it difficult to fix, in particular, PhysX bugs are notoriously difficult to fix without just disallowing collision. Squad would probably not do that.

I have dabbled in this field of propulsion before, I have managed to make a infinigilder go at least 60km/s for a small amount of time, I have also discovered that the infinigilde bug works in a vacuum, a 1m change to periapsis at apoapsis in a 106x46km orbit, I only had 3 flaps at the time, so maybe you can exploit this.

I still don't have a clue about the exact mechanism behind this so if anyone has any theories that would help a lot. :)

I'm pretty sure you already know this but your kraken drive works by pushing the SAS module away from the structural piece while the game tries to bring them together again. Remove the SAS and it won't work anymore. Replace it with another 2,5m part and it will.

I'm pretty sure you already know this but your kraken drive works by pushing the SAS module away from the structural piece while the game tries to bring them together again. Remove the SAS and it won't work anymore. Replace it with another 2,5m part and it will.

I don't think its that simple. :P If it was then anti grav devices would have been made very quickly by ppl in KSP. Its definitely something along those lines though.

Hmm... my laptop was just fried before school (while in standby... curse HP) , (graphics card went bang... curse the amd 6770m), and I am about to build a new rig... but I fear that a fx-6300 may not give me as much wiggle room as my old i7 2670qm even if I will get the amd 7770... . Although I do have an alternate computer, it's armed with an hd 4000, meaning that I will be stuck with horrendus framerates for about 2-4 months. :( :(

Kraken drives will succeed though, since I'll have to use the UNSC skybreaker light destroyer for tests now. I just hope I can reliably reproduce that glitch in my old ship.

Edited by andrew123

Watching a friend play while he was on Minimus. Kerbal was on the surface and he clipped the camera view under the surface. Gravity was suddenly off by 90 degrees Kerbal and ship started falling down the surface.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.