Harnessing the Kraken: Eeloo in 11 hours!

Comrade Jenkens

Do you think a Krakeb Drive is possible?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think a Krakeb Drive is possible?

• In Practice
    • In Theory
    • Not at all

A good way to summon a kraken is to attempt Jool landing with some super-heavy remote-control craft. It ends up in a spray of debris. Usually flyning away from the solar system.

Also there are some random krakens, i accidentaly hit a munarch when EVA on a rover. Got shot into sun at 6 times speed of light (approx.) However. i've done this like 1000 times and only happened once back in .22

Mental block atm. :( Haven't had any new ideas on how to improve the device today and testing hasn't yielded any new discoveries.

Trying to copy Andrew123s ftl glitch has just resulted in more gyro Kraken attacks. It doesn't want to give up its secrets easily. I know its possible because being flung across the system at ftl speeds isn't unheard of.

I'm going to split my research between this Anti Gravity engine and the stock warp drive attempts.

Mental block atm. :( Haven't had any new ideas on how to improve the device today and testing hasn't yielded any new discoveries.

Trying to copy Andrew123s ftl glitch has just resulted in more gyro Kraken attacks. It doesn't want to give up its secrets easily. I know its possible because being flung across the system at ftl speeds isn't unheard of.

I'm going to split my research between this Anti Gravity engine and the stock warp drive attempts.

Well, here's the craft file for my version of your reactor.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80346/AG%20%20Reactor.craft

I think the agr's and ftl drive go hand in hand if you want to make a real stock sci-fi-ey ship.

Where is the stock ftl thread anyway?

Oh, and fair warning, the ship may only work once the first time you launch the game, or may just be very prone to failure on initialization.

Edited by _Aramchek_

I remember that being posted I think. Lightest Eve return vehicle challenge if I remember correctly?

They did discuss it on that thread, but I made it for a different challenge. There was a thread to see how many bodies were possible to reach using a 30 tonne vehicle. Eve got listed as "impossible". I disagreed.

Ok after a few days of research my observations and theories are as follows:

-The basic idea is two pieces are pushed away from each other while the game attempts to correct this and tries to pull them together again.

-The landing gear seems to have to travel through an intermediate piece to produce thrust. I'm not sure why but this somehow unbalances the forces.

-Rune discovered that the device acts differently depending on the frame of reference.

-Both the lightspeed kraken and the gyrokraken are caused by the same bug in how the game calculates forces.

-Tricking the game into thinking that there is an incredibly high force acting on the device may allow for very high speed to be reached.

-This force could be applied by compressing several parts together and then through each other.

Note that these are all just theories and so may be completely wrong. If someone knows otherwise i'll correct these. :)

What have I done!

Now I've set tons of ppl exploiting bugs in KSP for starships.

Devs are gonna hate me now. :P

Nah, just people are going to build shrines to your name. I know I've started mine. And then Squad will fix the bug, or not, and things will carry on as before ^^'. But I do hope your rep soars because of this.

Rune. After all, we live in a universe of infiniglide and magic reaction wheels, never mind the lift/drag model.

I hope they fix the bug, but this is fascinating to watch... haven't had much success actually using them, though. Far Star Gonad Trevithick tragically exploded on transition to Krakendrive powered flight...

You didn't read the "don't engage the drive inside an atmosphere unless you are going really slow" sign, did you? Better luck next flight!

Rune. I knew I put the kerbal on an easy-to-detach abort-grouped capsule far from the drive for a reason.

Oh, some maths:

Eeloo is about 100,000,000,000 meters away from Kerbin at any given time.

My ship can accelerate at about 270 m/s^2.

2 * sqrt(100000000000/270)=~38490 seconds required to get to Eeloo via Brachistochrone trajectory.

Top speed will be 5196150 m/s or 0.017 C.

38490 seconds is 10.69 hours, which means I could go to Eeloo and come back in under 21.2 hours. The entire solar system is reachable and not only that but returnable in one day.

And thanks to my ship's extreme stability, I could just leave it running for the entire time.

Continued development has yielded this amazing result! Though the drive has yet to be tested for this long.

I'm amazed that no one has made a battleship with 4 of these things covered in armor and powering the ship.

Actually, I'll put one in as a subassembly, and make a hulk of a ship, covered in armor and all, with room for a few of these.

I'll name it Hell Summoner, since it's basically summoning the satanic kraken.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.