Harnessing the Kraken: Eeloo in 11 hours!

Comrade Jenkens

Do you think a Krakeb Drive is possible?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think a Krakeb Drive is possible?

• In Practice
    • In Theory
    • Not at all

Update: I've made an improvement on the 'warp test 6' drive, I added a second set of legs that deploy when you hit the 'u' key (lights action group) this means when your first set of legs break you can simply deploy the second set and the drive should re-engage, it works about 30% of the time! I'm working on improving this.

I added a second set of legs that deploy when you hit the 'u' key (lights action group) this means when your first set of legs break you can simply deploy the second set and the drive should re-engage, it works about 30% of the time!

Brilliant. I was thinking of stacking multiple drives on top of each other, but this is a much smarter solution.

Though it would be nice to find a way that prevents any breakage

In my attempt, the only seemed to break when pulling something along, but that may be only because I didn't try pushing things much.

It should be possible, just attach more kraken drives to a ship.

That's actually quite a good experiment, does multiple kraken drives cause a larger acceleration?

I tried assembling four in a battery, but it was too unstable for practical use, and didn't seem to accelerate noticeably faster.

But this was in the atmosphere, in space things may be different.

I'm experimenting with my own brewed up drive, will report back!

EDIT 1: Seems to be working well, vehicle is now at 2000 km orbit and climbing!

EDIT 2: Is 37000 km the advertised orbit for these drives?

EDIT 3: Safely back on kerbin with all crew ALIVE. But the warp drive ripped apart during the deorbit burn. No issues except a bit of spin.

Final Status Report

Launched with normal launch vehicle, drive activated in space. Mission successful.

Warp Drive is good means of propulsion for manned vehicles in space. But be sure to place far from crew areas. Always add emergency liquid propulsion.

Edited by FCISuperGuy

EDIT 2: Is 37000 km the advertised orbit for these drives?

Out of the atmosphere is when the drive auto-switches to 18Gs, unless your drive is really different.

EDIT:

whilst creating the Kartoffen III drive, I created a new engine that works with 8 landing gear, this means that 7 can fail, but it will still work. I havn't tested it in vacuum and it may need a large amount of reaction wheels, but it uses a new part, the 1m nose-cones to create force and even has a primitve version of thrust vectoring (that's fairly uncontrollable)

3G0llBd.png

ZIeAxVl.png

I'll go back and work on it, the next drive will be the kartoffen IV, i plan to have fully integrated control and more power

(and before anyone says 'you cheated with unbreakeable joints and no crash damage, I did go back and test it again and it still worked fine)

Edited by SpaceSphereOfDeath

In other news, I'm unable to replicate the results of others even using the exact same designs. For instance, Rune's Far Star. This approximates the advertised performance but doesn't duplicate it. When I engage the drive on the launch pad, it does climb smoothly and stays pointing straight up, which is way better than my own designs have accomplished. However, it doesn't stay directly over the Launchpad. Instead, it accelerates slowly to the east while climbing steadily at 5m/s. Because it's moving east, it's definitely moving horizontally. If it was geostationary it wouldn't move sideways and if it was letting Kerbin rotate under it, it would appear to be going west. And then there's how it works in space. Engage the drive and all legs instantly break after providing only a split-second of thrust, not enough to change the orbit more than a couple of meters. And following the repair instructions Rune posted doesn't work--the legs still instantly break again even with ESC pushed.

Hey! Lots of people have reported stuff like this, and all I can say is, I did the best I could taming the beast! First, the perfect vertical climb can only be achieved if you are pointing perfectly vertical and all the legs are working. A slight lateral deviation will create slight lateral speed, but the weird behavior of giving a lateral component just enough to keep yourself synchronous if you don't accelerate laterally still happens. As to in-orbit results, well, I did say the Drive engages correctly less than 20% of the time. The way I make it work is just by quicksaving before turning it on and then quickloading until it works without a hitch.

As to the repair mechanic, all I can say is that it is tricky. In fact, the game glitched yesterday and stopped pausing the game when I pressed ESC, so repeated operation may indeed bug it out. But I've done it several times, so finagling things should eventually work, it just takes a bit of practice. Also, note you can hit repair without the kerbal moving away from the capsule, still hanging to the ladder, which means you can actually thrust with broken legs just by hitting repair insistently and put-putting along. The kerbal won't fall! Manual setting, you could call it, and I've used it during emergencies (i.e: I'm still suborbital and the drive broke).

Oh, and my machine is an i5, so I think you are much better set than I am, computing power-wise. I doubt it's that, personally.

Rune. Keep at it everyone! It's very cool to see. :D

It should be possible, just attach more kraken drives to a ship.

That's actually quite a good experiment, does multiple kraken drives cause a larger acceleration?

From what I remember, it was actually a decline in acceleration.. Ad it also gets unstable as when one breaks, it starts spinning out of control.

Hey! Lots of people have reported stuff like this, and all I can say is, I did the best I could taming the beast!

Yes, you did, and you and Jenkens and the rest of who made real advancements in this field shall always be enshrined amongst the hallowed tribal ancestor spirits of the KSP community. Jeb will name the sprouts of his spores after you all :).

So I wasn't calling you a liar. I was just saying my results varied from not only yours but also those of others who have reported successes. That's how peer-reviewed science works. And because my different results weren't confined to you alone to but everybody else whose successful ships I've used, it looks like I'm the loser here in being unable to take advantage of these wonderful discoveries. That's why I think it's a hardware or game-settings thing that makes this possible. How else to account for the different results with the same ships on different computers?

Alright, my homemade warp drive doesn't do anything in the atmosphere, but it seems to have effect in orbit. I'm trying to develop a small version for shuttlecraft.

Technically, I'm a newbie to this Warp tech, so anyone willing to give me a proper tutorial? =D

Edited by FCISuperGuy

Out of the atmosphere is when the drive auto-switches to 18Gs, unless your drive is really different.

EDIT:

whilst creating the Kartoffen III drive, I created a new engine that works with 8 landing gear, this means that 7 can fail, but it will still work. I havn't tested it in vacuum and it may need a large amount of reaction wheels, but it uses a new part, the 1m nose-cones to create force and even has a primitve version of thrust vectoring (that's fairly uncontrollable)

http://i.imgur.com/3G0llBd.png

http://i.imgur.com/ZIeAxVl.png

I'll go back and work on it, the next drive will be the kartoffen IV, i plan to have fully integrated control and more power

(and before anyone says 'you cheated with unbreakeable joints and no crash damage, I did go back and test it again and it still worked fine)

DL Link for that. Please. Now.

Newtonian Anchor - Subassembly - Test rocket

Here I demonstrate the accidental intelligently hypothesized totally genius device I call the Newtonian Anchor. It will resist any motion relative to the reference frame, ie. the surface when near Kerbin, the "orbit speed" when in orbit; untested but assumed to hold true for other terrains and SOIs as well.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Each one seems to resist motion in the direction of its reaction wheel the best. Multiple devices may be used and may be clipped through other parts.

They can resist quite significant forces. A small amount of creeping in the direction of prevailing external forces (gravity, engines) is to be expected. Self-disassembly has been observed when activating the device at speeds not already close to 0m/s in the appropriate frame of reference.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

-snip

Well haha, that is pretty amazing. So it pretty much decelerates you until your velocity is zero no matter if you have your velocity meter set to surface or orbit? This could be used for a pretty nice lander drive, you won't have to use fuel :) I think this and the warp drive could be used in a reliable craft now with no need for any fuel.. I wish I could have found something great like this by now :( I also wonder if this can be used to 'land' on the suns 'surface'...

So it pretty much decelerates you until your velocity is zero no matter if you have your velocity meter set to surface or orbit?

Well, you don't get to choose. It's whichever the game is using as the frame of reference for (ironically) the Krakensbane.

This could be used for a pretty nice lander drive, you won't have to use fuel :)

Mmm, you pretty much have to first come to a stationary hover in order to not explode, though...

I also wonder if this can be used to 'land' on the suns 'surface'...

Probably. :cool:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.