Harnessing the Kraken: Eeloo in 11 hours!

Comrade Jenkens

Do you think a Krakeb Drive is possible?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think a Krakeb Drive is possible?

• In Practice
    • In Theory
    • Not at all

DL Link for that. Please. Now.

I'll have it up as soon as possible, although I warn you, this is my first working drive, it is neither as fast or controllable as comrades or runes, but it is more likely to work for longer periods of time.

And clouds appears to have perfected my kartoffen II drive, congratulations!

Edited by SpaceSphereOfDeath

Yes, you did, and you and Jenkens and the rest of who made real advancements in this field shall always be enshrined amongst the hallowed tribal ancestor spirits of the KSP community. Jeb will name the sprouts of his spores after you all :).

So I wasn't calling you a liar. I was just saying my results varied from not only yours but also those of others who have reported successes. That's how peer-reviewed science works. And because my different results weren't confined to you alone to but everybody else whose successful ships I've used, it looks like I'm the loser here in being unable to take advantage of these wonderful discoveries. That's why I think it's a hardware or game-settings thing that makes this possible. How else to account for the different results with the same ships on different computers?

Well, :blush:. You humble me! The most I did was jump onto the wagon of a great idea the moment I saw it, and it just seemed I was at the front, but thanks anyway! :) And I'm really sorry you don't get to experience this piece of bug awesomeness. Prhaps Kerbal Joint Reinforcement or some other mod are making things different? To be more precise, I run a non-stock installation (kerbal engineer, kethane, improved navball, clouds and city lights, kerbal alarm clock and the docking indicator, though most of those mods don't add parts) in an i5 3500 with 4Gb DDR3 RAM with a big bus I forget (800Mhz? I think I'm inventing more than remembering), a shiny new SSD drive, and win 8 64 bits. So that's my exact setup, in which this works. Oh, and an Nvidia 9800 GT that shows its age but still runs most stuff without issues, especially KSP. Have you tried inigma's MkII drive? Because if that doesn't work, nothing will.

Well... voters can rest assured, we have a K-Drive shuttlecraft... in practice.

http://i.imgur.com/ankNIGu.png

http://i.imgur.com/FmHOZUg.png

Yeah, I've been playing with your drive, and in the surface at least it's by far the most reliable and smooth I've tested. If it holds like that in orbit trials, I think I'm just forgetting about the rest...

Still having no luck with the stock warp drive though. :( I'm convinced its possible!

And if its impossible i'll make it anyway. ;)

Weirdly enough, if I was allowed to choose which one was possible to do in KSP, I think I would choose the 20Gs propellantless thruster over the Warp drive. I dunno, the first just seems more like magic, for the other one we have a theoretical, hypothetical explanation. Plus, that's a staple of the oldest, most classic sci-fi.

Rune. Plus, my thing was Star Wars anyhow.

So, I've been playing KSP since about 0.18, and I've been an avid reader of the forums since then, but in a 'Oh, I'll get round to registering at some point' sort of manner. I'll admit that I was firmly in the 'that'll never work' camp, until I read this thread.

I only registered just to say how awesome this invention is. I know that it'll probably only last until the next physics update, but it's still fantastic nonetheless.

Yeah, so that's basically it. Wow. Just wow. :D

Here's my latest and greatest...I think I have the concept more or less mastered.

Seriously amazing.

First person to slap 2 of those on the back of a particularly iconic shape, which has a space shuttle named after it gets a cookie.

I seem to having an issue with the legs after they make contact with the 'pusher plate.' They start pushing then stop completely and i lose the ability to retract and redeploy them. Im using a modified version of Aramchek's model.

When they become uncontrollable it means they have broken, if there is a kerbal on your ship you can get them out to fix it, if not then revert the flight.

Well, I've been experimenting with this and have got a drive that'll do 25G with about 95% reliability, however she is far more restrictive than the others I see here. Anything more than 4 command seats, 4 RTGs and a small cone adapter on the front cause 100% failure, cant be launched in-atmo and she screws up the launch vehicle requiring any crew to be brought up separately. Interesting actually requires 3 of the 4 legs to break to work, anything else causes horrible spins or just one 400m/s pulse. Interesting bit of information, putting on physics warp doesn't actually change the rate the speed numbers go up. Therefore 4x warp actually reduces acceleration 4 times, although the G indicator acts like the acceleration has gone up 4 times. Under real time the imbalance caused by the 3 broken legs means she can't quite hold a heading, setting 3 or 4 times warp allows it to, meaning she's actually easier to steer under physics warp.

sDJ3gaY.jpg

Here she is on the way to Eeloo, still inside Duna's orbit, with Eeloo one and a half days away. 30 odd minutes were wasted trying to get crew on her, but Jeb accidentally fired the de-orbit engines before transfer. Makes you realise how fast the speed of light is, after 1 hour of thrusting it still hasn't reached 0.003C.

After seeing some of these in practice and trying one of the provided ones out for myself, I decided to try building one myself. Although at points I managed to cause the effect momentarily, I have so far been unsuccessful in replicating the success of others' efforts. I won't just give up, though. Not when the dream of a 1-day flight to Eeloo is so close to reality.

Here's my latest and greatest...I think I have the concept more or less mastered.

How are you getting it to do that? i can only get one push and then it stops, then i can press "g" 2 times and i get one push more. Is there some secret trick or something? Do i have to buy a DLC? ;D

Edited by OneEyedShark

How are you getting it to do that? i can only get one push and then it stops, then i can press "g" 2 times and i get one push more. Is there some secret trick or something? Do i have to buy a DLC? ;D

The placement of the parts is EVERYTHING, specifically the spacing of the metal plate and the two pusher plates below it in relation to the landing gear, if you get it all placed just so, you have enough room for the landing leg to spring the parts apart and be pushed back without being broken. And just enough flexibility in those three parts to keep it all going.

And at the point where you find that sweet spot, it seems to be 100% reliable, even in groups.

(Although the more drives you add, the more chance there is for phantom forces to destabilize the whole thing.)

welp Ive spent the better part of this evening toying around with a design heavily influenced bu Aramchek's model. Mine has 8 legs and four pusher plates plus a shroud to give it a neat and tidy look. After being satisfied with the design and function from the launch pad I put it on a flat bed and tried to launch it with a Kerbal (only one is crazy enough for such black magic, Jeb!) on top.

Here we have Jeb and the Aramchek KrakDrive on top of a flatbed (I named it Aramchek because as I said, his design heavily influenced mine)

tYpoeBE.png

Jeb climbing up to the command seat (which has egress capabilities)

PeZ6xM5.png

Ready for Kerbed test One

BCLB4l9.png

I bet you thought it was gonna take off from the flatbed didnt you :-p

wr0ZQqg.png

TOO FAST! BAIL OUT!!!

SgZoHo8.png

Overall a somewhat successful test other than forgetting to decouple the Krakdrive from the Mobile Launch System.

Word of caution gents, it seems that once the Kraken has been poked it is reluctant to go back into slumber. Shortly after Jeb punched out and touched down he was flung from where the test occurred, past the launch pad, and into the KSC runway.

Gotta say gents this is an awesome find. Im having a blast toying around with this tech!

Edited by flyin_ruski

It works!! :D.. or kinda, its max speed is 20m/s and the pusher plate don't do the "animation", but it just need some work :)

Edit/Update: Got it up to 30 and got the "animation" by adding a few struts, if you add to many it stops working :)

Edited by OneEyedShark

Download .craft

Here's an oddity for you: the spiral drive, which converts rotation into translation.

Roll counter-clockwise to move forward, clockwise to reverse. Yaw to move up and down.

I've gotten spiral drive type action from several imprecisely-assembled vibrating-landing-gear assemblies. It's not an artifact of the VAB's rotational symmetry, either: it worked when built in the SPH using mirror symmetry, too.

rbcbeRT.jpg

TíÃÂî̂hÉ̗̯̟̖̻̹eÙ̟̟̱̖̪ãì̌̉̇ ̥̲ÉÎ̞å̊̿ìp̬Î̱ÃÂ̚Åo̩ÚÕÓ̘Ãâ€Ã¡ÂºÆ’̘Ã¥ÌÂeÙÎÖ̖̻̱̗ïär̳̤̻̭̓ã̉ ̼̰ÌÂÌ“Ì¿Ì‚ÌÂío̲Éí̉fṴ̳̘̳̮̰̀Ã¥é̀̎ççÒ ̤ÃÂÌ­Ãâ€Ãâ€Ãâ€ÃŒÂ²Ã‹Ì‘ÌŽÌ„k̟̟̳̽ÃÂ¥ÃÂÆÃ¥ÅrÚÙ̽̒ìÃ¥éî̽á¸ÂÃâ„¢Ãâ€Ã©ÃŠÌ…Ì¿k̯Ú̽ē̊éÃÅ’n̂̽Ëé̇ ÃÂ̯̱̺ÃÂÇï̅̀c̅̋×̄̽̀oÇæmÑ̓pÕÖ̪̪̬É̱æÌ̓ÃÂeÃŽÃâ€ÃŒÅ¾ÃŒÂ³Ãâ€ÃŠÌ‘lÌ¥ÃÂ̳ÌÂ̹̹Öíìs̤̭ÌÂÆ̒Ìâ€Ã‚× ÈÃ¥Ì̒̉ì̚y̹Õ̫Ãâ€ÃŒÅ½ÃŠËÌÂ̈oÓ̲̯ÌÂu̲××æ×Ë̽æ

TíÃÂî̂hÉ̗̯̟̖̻̹eÙ̟̟̱̖̪ãì̌̉̇ ̥̲ÉÎ̞å̊̿ìp̬Î̱ÃÂ̚Åo̩ÚÕÓ̘Ãâ€Ã¡ÂºÆ’̘Ã¥ÌÂeÙÎÖ̖̻̱̗ïär̳̤̻̭̓ã̉ ̼̰ÌÂÌ“Ì¿Ì‚ÌÂío̲Éí̉fṴ̳̘̳̮̰̀Ã¥é̀̎ççÒ ̤ÃÂÌ­Ãâ€Ãâ€Ãâ€ÃŒÂ²Ã‹Ì‘ÌŽÌ„k̟̟̳̽ÃÂ¥ÃÂÆÃ¥ÅrÚÙ̽̒ìÃ¥éî̽á¸ÂÃâ„¢Ãâ€Ã©ÃŠÌ…Ì¿k̯Ú̽ē̊éÃÅ’n̂̽Ëé̇ ÃÂ̯̱̺ÃÂÇï̅̀c̅̋×̄̽̀oÇæmÑ̓pÕÖ̪̪̬É̱æÌ̓ÃÂeÃŽÃâ€ÃŒÅ¾ÃŒÂ³Ãâ€ÃŠÌ‘lÌ¥ÃÂ̳ÌÂ̹̹Öíìs̤̭ÌÂÆ̒Ìâ€Ã‚× ÈÃ¥Ì̒̉ì̚y̹Õ̫Ãâ€ÃŒÅ½ÃŠËÌÂ̈oÓ̲̯ÌÂu̲××æ×Ë̽æ

Ancient language of the Duna people!!!!

Maybe the Kraken wiped them out when they poked it too much and left SSTV's to warn us!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.