Your Opinion On Dark Chocolate?

xoknight

How dark was the chocolate you ate though? The higher the level of cacao, the more bitter it gets. I like dark chocolate, but in small doses. It's better for for you, but not as satisfying to the sweet tooth imo.

If I can recall, it was about as dark as a clean, brand-new automotive tire.

Edited by Flymetothemun

Dark chocolate is the real thing.

Milk chocolate is dark chocolate with sour-tasting milk mixed in.

This. There's no need for milk chocolate, especially the rubbish vegelate that gets makes up most of what's sold as "chocolate" here in the UK. Chocolate is definitely something our continental cousins get right and we get very, very wrong.

This. There's no need for milk chocolate, especially the rubbish vegelate that gets makes up most of what's sold as "chocolate" here in the UK. Chocolate is definitely something our continental cousins get right and we get very, very wrong.

Considering Fry's invented the chocolate bar and Cadbury were early pioneers along with them, I doubt that very much. Not saying that some of the continental chocs aren't nice, mind you. I just dare you to sample the output from, for instance, a Thorntons shop and tell me it's not choc.

The US FDA might say that if it has some of the cocoa butter (note: not cocoa, cocoa butter) replaced with vegetable oil then it can't be called chocolate. I not so humbly suggest that the FDA doesn't know what they are talking about in this instance.

The "sour tasting milk" is a Hershey's thing, pretty much exclusive to the US and Canada.

As far as I'm concerned, it's all gorgeous. Just different types of gorgeous.

And yes, Lindt is indeed excellence.

Considering Fry's invented the chocolate bar and Cadbury were early pioneers along with them, I doubt that very much. Not saying that some of the continental chocs aren't nice, mind you. I just dare you to sample the output from, for instance, a Thorntons shop and tell me it's not choc.

I agree, the boutique places like Thorntons and Hotel Chocolat get it right. What gets sold as "chocolate" in the supermarket by Cadbury's and the like is just awful though. I ate a Yorkie bar the other day, it was just sloppy, fatty, rubbish. Won't be doing that again.

Dark is the only kind to pass my lips. I've found some cheap Belgian extra dark sold by the half-kilo from a local shop. Stays in the cupboard until a rainy day. I can't imagine how murkins can eat the "milk" chocolate. I certainly can't.

I not so humbly suggest that the FDA doesn't know what they are talking about in this instance.
There's a lot of instances where the FDA doesn't know what they're talking about. Knowledge is not geographic, so when we consider that so much of America's food and drug policy is at odds with the worldwide scientific consensus, we look to the FDA for explanation. And what do we see? An anti-vaxxer and a couple former Monsanto executives are the most recent additions to the FDA, and that's under Barry's administration. It's a political organization masquerading as a scientific committee. The decay of that great rotting empire of theirs has spread throughout its institutions. Even Russia isn't as bad.

Dark is the only kind to pass my lips. I've found some cheap Belgian extra dark sold by the half-kilo from a local shop. Stays in the cupboard until a rainy day. I can't imagine how murkins can eat the "milk" chocolate. I certainly can't.

There's a lot of instances where the FDA doesn't know what they're talking about. Knowledge is not geographic, so when we consider that so much of America's food and drug policy is at odds with the worldwide scientific consensus, we look to the FDA for explanation. And what do we see? An anti-vaxxer and a couple former Monsanto executives are the most recent additions to the FDA, and that's under Barry's administration. It's a political organization masquerading as a scientific committee. The decay of that great rotting empire of theirs has spread throughout its institutions. Even Russia isn't as bad.

No one should be surprised about that. After all, there are GOP members on the house science (!!!!!!!!!!) committee who outright claim the earth is only 6k years old.

Doesn't matter whether you're on the left or right, if someone tells you the earth is 6k years old, you might just as well have a good laugh and walk away.

I'm always having a good laugh when I'm in places like Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand...where the FDA would FREAK OUT! Yet after 8 weeks of eating mostly street food, I never got sick once. Didn't care what they called the food either as long as it was tasty.

Edited by John Crichton

Swiss & Belgian chocolate > the rest.

Cadbury and Hershey are AWFUL in comparison. If Cadbury and Hershey were movies, they'd be C-movies, if that.

I can just see the taglines now:

"Hershey's - the 'Sharknado' of chocolate"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.