[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

I personally think that tugs are more economical and easier to use than arms (I'm talking about KSP not irl)

Agreed if you screw up the robotic arm it tends to have a catastrophic result if you screw up in the tug its generally recoverable

I really do hope, and I mean it... I really do hope the developers are taking note of what you are doing here. (Flame guard on) I think your style suits KSP more than the stock items do. You put more attention to detail into your parts it seems and besides... they just look better!

Everyone here saying Squad shouldn't hire him because of the way the B9 pack was abandoned when they hired Bac9, but you have to look at it from a modders enjoyment perspective. Helldiver does this (I assume of course) because it's enjoyable for him. Once you are working for Squad, much like Bac, all the stuff you wanted to do pretty much goes out the window, eg. you get stuck designing new girders for the SPH interior. How much time do you think was spent on the yellow vehicle that annoyingly drives through your space while you are trying to build a ship - rather than new parts.

You also have to remember, Developers are not allowed to run modded versions of KSP. So technically, Bac9 can't even use his own mod on his development version of KSP (as far as I understand) So even if Helldiver was to be hired, he could not develop this pack using the developer version he would have access to, and they would have him doing other important stuff, like designing new flower beds for the front of the VAB.

Who knows, maybe they already offered him a job and it didn't pay well enough, consider that too :)

Helldiver and Nazari, you work yourself too hard... :)

All of it looks really, really nice as always. Take your time, we're not forcing you to rush.

EDIT: FREEMANtsinq, can you post a screenshot of the formatting for the lines that say texture = "...".tga? I'm having trouble, I have the parts in game but they are just the KSO cockpit colored solid white. Here are screenshots of the syntax I used, feel free to point out my errors. :)

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Woopert

Woopert you're not the only one having that issue. Let's keep it to PMs though to avoid unnecessarily cluttering the thread.

If you're going to restrict this to PMs could you please Cc me? After the two brilliant responses to my initial request I followed the posts to the letter but cannot resolve the issue of the solid white cockpits. I've decided to give up and just use the KSO as intended. But if there is a solution I'd be very interested to hear it, I just didn't want to clutter this thread with more of my questions.

Edited by Martin_Baker
correcting auto-correct

Helldiver and Nazari, you work yourself too hard... :)

All of it looks really, really nice as always. Take your time, we're not forcing you to rush.

EDIT: FREEMANtsinq, can you post a screenshot of the formatting for the lines that say texture = "...".tga? I'm having trouble, I have the parts in game but they are just the KSO cockpit colored solid white. Here are screenshots of the syntax I used, feel free to point out my errors. :)

http://imgur.com/a/TNMMV

Woopert you're not the only one having that issue. Let's keep it to PMs though to avoid unnecessarily cluttering the thread.
If you're going to restrict this to PMs could you please Cc me? After the two brilliant responses to my initial request I followed the posts to the letter but cannot resolve the issue of the solid white cockpits. I've decided to give up and just use the KSO as intended. But if there is a solution I'd be very interested to hear it, I just didn't want to clutter this thread with more of my questions.

I have updated my original Tutorial. I believe the error that has been made, judging from Woopert's screenshot, is that the .cfg files are in the "textures" folder, instead of in the "Parts" folder. Please direct PM's my way if you have further trouble so that we may keep this thread focused for the mod authors. Thank you.

And thank you Helldiver and Nazari for their continued dedication and work to such an awesome mod. I very much look forward to phase 2.

Edited by qnistNAMEERF

One issue I can see with ditching/pickup by the tug is if the module gets into a spin. How are you going to steady it? With that in mind I was thinking of clipping this package into each of these things simply to provide some stability before the tug pickup. The other option would be fitting a 1.25m port onto the "top" and using that as the tug attachment point.

http://i.imgur.com/BMMJxpn.png

Couldn't you just timewarp for a second so it stops the spinning and keep doing that until you get a good dock.

Couldn't you just timewarp for a second so it stops the spinning and keep doing that until you get a good dock.

I suppose, but that's kinda cheaty imo. Prefer overcoming a design challenge to exploiting an oversight in game mechanics.

at lest go into advanced mode and use a spoiler tag.

and yes, Helldiver you did understand what i was trying to say and i understand it more. Does not make sense to release a custiom texture made by a player for old outdated items. But maybe relaxing the copyright to allow only certain textures to be placed up in your thread alone.... wait no same problem .... Nvm It makes more cents to have the players do there own vrs people shairing due to outdated textures on new part.

I hate to nitpick, but is there anyway to install this under one folder? I like keeping the GameData folder quite light-weight and un-cluttered and it kills me to have the 7+ folders in this mod lying around.

Otherwise, congratulations on one amazing mod!

I hate to nitpick, but is there anyway to install this under one folder? I like keeping the GameData folder quite light-weight and un-cluttered and it kills me to have the 7+ folders in this mod lying around.

Otherwise, congratulations on one amazing mod!

Yes, but you're just asking for bugs. The KSO uses several very popular mods/plugins. If it isolated it's redistributed plugins into its own mod folder, then this creates the possibility of duplicate mods doing the same thing for those who use those mods, which could potentially cause game breaking behavior.

Quick semi final update.

All the artwork is now mastered! (That means no more changes or additions or 3D modeling or baking, or UVing...)

Finally... It's been three-four solid weeks of constant modeling and doing this stuff..

To do

-Minor texture details and touchups on the Observation Deck IVA (which is about 90% completed), mostly dealing with the camera details.

-Collision meshes.

-Specular Map.

These last two (Specular and collision) only take a few minutes to an hour to do.

-Get it in game.

Don't want to announce a release date, but suffice to say very soon.

rjJ1HAb.jpg

p7qHjwb.jpg

WYb4wpU.jpg

Given the size of these parts compared to stock 2.5m modules AND their awesome looks, I think it's safe to say that I know what I'm making my interplanetary space stations out of.

The cameras are a fun little thing to add. Very Kerbalesque way to observe the universe, using a handicam. This observation module is going to be hell to attach to a station though. There's only one attachment point, so you can't use the space tug from start to finish as you can with the modules with two attachment point. Might have to maneuver the entire station to dock with a free-floating Observation Module (or use other mods like the robotic arms).

Previously on Proot's ravings (ALCOR thread):

Oh, my, god. Would be awesome use that Kanon with my Bob Hadfield and take pics from it!

Great idea!!

Suggestion: Timed triggered screen-shots from that point to make time lapses. Don't know if it's possible, but if it is... wouldn't be that the most awesome feature in any mod?

Quick semi final update.

All the artwork is now mastered! (That means no more changes or additions or 3D modeling or baking, or UVing...)

Finally... It's been three-four solid weeks of constant modeling and doing this stuff..

To do

-Minor texture details and touchups on the Observation Deck IVA (which is about 90% completed), mostly dealing with the camera details.

-Collision meshes.

-Specular Map.

These last two (Specular and collision) only take a few minutes to an hour to do.

-Get it in game.

Don't want to announce a release date, but suffice to say very soon.

http://i.imgur.com/rjJ1HAb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/p7qHjwb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WYb4wpU.jpg

I'm simply amazed by your modding level. Both of you: ALCOR and KSO projects are the awesomeness.

All hail If that part gonna be functional.