[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Oh, just a PSA for anyone interested: Disable fuel flow on the auxiliary fuel module until you need it. For some reason, the KSO will use that fuel to start instead of the EFT.

I'd recommend doing the same thing. The OMS engines are far more fuel efficient than the SSME's, so saving that fuel is essential for orbital operations.

Last night using this strategy I was able to haul up the heaviest payload buildable in Phase II (the auxiliary fuel module plus the SST) to an orbit of 75km, which I them boosted up to 200km to rendezvous with my space station. This left me with just enough ÃŽâ€v onboard to deorbit without having to touch RCS.

To get it to connect properly you have to use the turn keys untill it's green. And as for wich way is up, I guess you can go of the writing on the side.

To open the shutters right click on the observation module and click open window shield.

I forgot to mention i was using KSO 2.04 (don't know if this informations is relevant).

Two of the sides of the 6 ways coupling refuse to connect whatever the direction they are and the modules i want to connect. I will try a complete reinstall of KSO to see if it solves something (i had similar issue with LLL in the past).

For the shutters, it worked properly once restarted the game, thanks :wink:

For the writing, what is disturbing is to have the EVA hatch under the module (i'm considering to use them for a small base on the Mun).

I forgot to mention i was using KSO 2.04 (don't know if this informations is relevant).

Two of the sides of the 6 ways coupling refuse to connect whatever the direction they are and the modules i want to connect. I will try a complete reinstall of KSO to see if it solves something (i had similar issue with LLL in the past).

For the writing, what is disturbing is to have the EVA hatch under the module (i'm considering to use them for a small base on the Mun).

Strange I didn't have any issue with the 6-way coupling in 2.04. What might be the issue for the shutters, in 2.04 there is a bug if you richt click on the KerbalLab you can't right click on anything else. It's fixed in 2.05.

It's a great idea using them as base modules but they were designed to be space station parts. Maybe if you elevate them high enough and put the station docking module near to the ground your kerbals can use that as an entry point. To move from module to module you could use crew manifest. (Just an idea :))

Has anyone ever made it to another planetary body like Mun or further with this craft yet?

yes... minmus (i encountered the Mun then burnt the wrong way and got a minmus encounter) but now the kso is stranded and is one wing less of a kso XD

yes... minmus (i encountered the Mun then burnt the wrong way and got a minmus encounter) but now the kso is stranded and is one wing less of a kso XD

Interesting. Have you been able to make it to Minmus or the Mun and get back to KSC?

Interesting. Have you been able to make it to Minmus or the Mun and get back to KSC?

no i've tried getting it to the mun but i only crash...

also Helldriver hate to be a pain again but the laptops work... kinda... it shows up the letters and everything (like "press Afor Flight info" etc and also fromthe "press 1 for ADI" but if i press one i'm only greeted with a very dark green blank screen with "press menu to go back to the menu" at the bottom. all text is white. i could get some pics if your intrested.

Edited by AntiMatter001

also Helldriver hate to be a pain again but the laptops work... kinda... it shows up the letters and everything (like "press Afor Flight info" etc and also fromthe "press 1 for ADI" but if i press one i'm only greeted with a very dark green blank screen with "press menu to go back to the menu" at the bottom. all text is white. i could get some pics if your intrested.

Wich numbers are you using? You have to use the numbers on the numpad not the top row number keys.

The Block 7 still has the KSO Avionics in the Radome, meaning it has double reaction wheels.

I left in there. I found that with the additional torque the KSO was much easier to maneuver and translate in space. Hence the default KSO has the avionics in there to help new players.

More experienced players tend to remove it and put a docking port in there or something else. :D

Amazing station building set, thank you, helldiver and nazari!

But I have a problem with SST. It behaves better in most recent version, but I still find it barely controllable. It seems to be incapable of turning. When you try to rotate it, it just does strafing. So, I can strafe with it to left, right, up, down, but when I strafe for a couple of seconds or more, SST begins to change its direction. It tries to compensate this with rcs and completely fails, strafing even further instead of rotating.

v2.06 should have improved its handling. It is the same version I'm using. Keep in mind that if you upgraded and had the SST already in space, odds are the changes didn't take. If that's the case recover it or terminate it and fly up a new one and test.

I'd recommend doing the same thing. The OMS engines are far more fuel efficient than the SSME's, so saving that fuel is essential for orbital operations.

Last night using this strategy I was able to haul up the heaviest payload buildable in Phase II (the auxiliary fuel module plus the SST) to an orbit of 75km, which I them boosted up to 200km to rendezvous with my space station. This left me with just enough ÃŽâ€v onboard to deorbit without having to touch RCS.

Try taking up a full SPM (Station Power Module) and KSO Auxilliary Fuel Module all full, I think that's a little more challenging and I've yet to do it. I usually have to empty out some of the propellant.

v2.04 to v2.06 didn't really change anything in terms of nodes. I have no problem with it and in fact my current mission is taking up a 6-way all-docking port hub. So you need to keep playing with it or put the square truss in the cargo bay and build your pay load off of it, removing it afterward.

laptops work... kinda... it shows up the letters and everything (like "press Afor Flight info" etc and also fromthe "press 1 for ADI" but if i press one i'm only greeted with a very dark green blank screen with "press menu to go back to the menu" at the bottom. all text is white. i could get some pics if your intrested.

Laptops don't show ADI graphics just flight information.

-If you're getting the return to Menu screen, then hit the Menu button.

-If it's stuck and not returning to menu, then that part is affected by the lights out bug. You'll need to either recover the parts (all KSOS Phase II parts) or start a new game. Also before you do that make sure you're at v2.06.

I spent about 10 hours working on a space station in 2.04, but when I updated I needed to find a replacement. So I built the space station in one piece in the VAB, strapped on a Munshine rocket (they're really handy!), and voila... new space station, super easy, and a time saver. I also had some fun with sumghai's Service Module system, it pairs nice with this mod. Distant Object Enhancement also makes looking through the observation module's windows really worth it. :)

Oh, and once again... thanks helldiver and Nazari for all your hard work on this!

fJFBejA.pngNxroKxq.png
Edited by Woopert

Has anyone ever made it to another planetary body like Mun or further with this craft yet?

I put some Bobcat Modules in my cargo bay and took the stock KSO to a Jool system flyby.

Laptops don't show ADI graphics just flight information.

-If you're getting the return to Menu screen, then hit the Menu button.

-If it's stuck and not returning to menu, then that part is affected by the lights out bug. You'll need to either recover the parts (all KSOS Phase II parts) or start a new game. Also before you do that make sure you're at v2.06.

thanks alot... lil too late to try it now but i'll try when i'm back home. also i wasn't complaining about the ADI i just can't see anything including the flight info.

The 35th of my STS KSO Shuttle Missions and 31st Flight of the Tenacious! STS 135's objective is to deploy the KSO Duna Scout Base Rover and return to the KSC Runway! The Duna Scout Base will house two kerbals, two greenhouses, a communications tower, and a rover.

The construction and deployment missions run STS 131 through STS 136.

Most of the footage is shown in 4x speed for quick viewing.

STS 136 will deploy the Duna Scout Base Communications Tower and land on Duna! (and be the last of the Phase 1 KSO's!)

Try taking up a full SPM (Station Power Module) and KSO Auxilliary Fuel Module all full, I think that's a little more challenging and I've yet to do it. I usually have to empty out some of the propellant.

My first trip to orbit in 2.0.6 was with the SPM and auxiliary fuel module. I managed to get it up to 200km pretty easily and took the SST up on my second trip. Though if memory serves, isn't the SPM a touch lighter than the SST or am I remembering wrong?

My first trip to orbit in 2.0.6 was with the SPM and auxiliary fuel module. I managed to get it up to 200km pretty easily and took the SST up on my second trip. Though if memory serves, isn't the SPM a touch lighter than the SST or am I remembering wrong?

Well hrm, dunno what you did. But a lot of the changes in 2.06 was because no matter what I did I couldn't achieve circularization with a full SPM+KSOAFM. Then again that was in 2.05. I haven't done a full SPM+KSOAFM in 2.06 yet. When I put up my space station core I cut back the fuel in those two parts by about 50%.

Oh right, make sure fuel flow through is off :D

Oh right, make sure fuel flow through is off :D

Yup! The tweaks that you made in v2.0.6 will actually allow you to make a pretty respectable orbit with a full payload on the OMS after MECO / ET jettison provided that the SSME's don't burn through all your onboard propellant first. :)

Well, I have designed and started construction on my new LKO space station, the KNSS, and I have already launched the core and the SST. (This is early-ish career though, so I am doing this without the KSO.)

nKogDHI.png

O1WAh4M.png

UMdAi4O.png

Edited by Deathsoul097

I'm a bit confused. The large solar panels I got are gold, but in a lot of pictures people are using blue ones. Is there some alternate texture included that I didn't know about?