[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

In fact I don't refuel my station with the KSO and instead made a stock fuel spacecraft which I take up with the Kerbal X. Dock with the KSS (Kerbin Space Station), and then destroy it on re-entry (it's unmanned).

Hmmm... that's exactly like Cygnus used in real life! Neat idea. :)

I've had great fun in launching stations in one go, sort of like Skylab, but these stations are far bigger and more complex. It's quite fun, and the components are quite light so some of the less powerful Munshine rockets get the job done (they always do!). Going to try taking a space station to the Mun or Minmus. :)

NxroKxq.pngfJFBejA.png
Edited by Woopert

Thank you, helldiver! I use the KSO as my primary resupply and crew rotation vehicle. I've landed my orbiter for the first time (in one piece and on the runway, that is) today, which was more rewarding than docking ever was.

I'm waiting for the 2.5 Orbiter to be honest. I love your parts, but I have to keep the part count down, as my Mac is running above 80C when I try to build anything above 250 parts. So I've had to be frugal and build to function over aesthetics.

EDIT: I also added supplies to the power modules for TAC-LS, a water purifier to the hydroponics lab and an air scrubber to the lab. I'd suggest adding an utilities module to the parts that would regulate power, LSS, and water purification. I also need to find a way of adding a Waste recycler, but thats for another thread.

Will pass along the suggestion to Nazari, thanks!

Helldiver, this might seem like a silly question, but is it possible to include a part that's the size/shape as your standard-size docking part, but instead of it being a docking port could it instead have hatch functionality? This might seem silly since the KSO obviously has a hatch already, but I wouldn't mind having a hatch in the payload bay on a t-junction like the STS had. Just an idea that popped into my head while servicing the KSS. :)

Helldiver, this might seem like a silly question, but is it possible to include a part that's the size/shape as your standard-size docking part, but instead of it being a docking port could it instead have hatch functionality? This might seem silly since the KSO obviously has a hatch already, but I wouldn't mind having a hatch in the payload bay on a t-junction like the STS had. Just an idea that popped into my head while servicing the KSS. :)

If only we could do that. There's no plugin that allows that, and we'd have to add another plugin to the download.

I mean we could just make a Kerbal habitable part and make it look like a hatch, but that would be cheesy.

Get Crew Manifest Mod. It allows you to easily transfer crew between parts of a spacecraft without having to EVA :D

god these station parts are awesome but i feel that it is missing only three things:

one: a logistics module please which should be easy by just retexturing an existing module

two: a greenhouse which should be a lot harder but will be very useful for life support mods and making monopropellant

three: simple hubs for the square and octagonal truss which should no be as difficult as the greenhouse but more than the logistics

just suggestion although at this point i think that you (helldiver) and Nazari probably have this planned which if you do ignore this but if not then food for thought...

can't wait to see where this will lead to :cool:

god these station parts are awesome but i feel that it is missing only three things:

one: a logistics module please which should be easy by just retexturing an existing module

two: a greenhouse which should be a lot harder but will be very useful for life support mods and making monopropellant

three: simple hubs for the square and octagonal truss which should no be as difficult as the greenhouse but more than the logistics

just suggestion although at this point i think that you (helldiver) and Nazari probably have this planned which if you do ignore this but if not then food for thought...

I agree with all of the above suggestions. These would be very nice additions to the modules we already have.

a logistics module please which should be easy by just retexturing an existing module

-What's the difference between the Habitat in Phase II and a Logistics Module? I'm assuming you mean the MPLM or PMM on the ISS, which really is just another Hab but with more boxes and cargo bags. Unless you want a module that has a blank name on the side of it?

a greenhouse which should be a lot harder but will be very useful for life support mods and making monopropellant

Didn't know that was a function in KSP. I asked Nazari and he said that's part of a different mod that isn't stock. Part of the problem with a greenhouse is to get a reasonable affect you'd have to be able to look inside. That's a no (regardless if there are plugins that let you do that). As such I made the GreenLab which works fine as a greenhouse since it's 50/50. An actual sci-fi type greenhouse or one you'd see down here on earth is probably something way down the line (as in phase 7+).

simple hubs for the square and octagonal truss which

Octagonal Truss Hub is already made. It's coming in Phase III with the KSO EWBCL 2.5

PVoO4Gi.jpg

I agree a square hub would be good if only to match the stuff you have already.

No artwork is harder or easier. In fact, the more complicated the model the easier it is actually since it generates more shadows and makes textures a lot more interesting. The Simpler models require more hand-drawn work since you have to be creative in bringing detail to a simple model.

The MechJeb part for MechJeb2+KSO users awaiting permission. It is just the artwork and config file. You will have to have MechJeb2 already installed.

ah3Db5y.jpg

Edited by helldiver

Awesome! But would it be possible to have a solid 6 way hub for the octo parts? I know there is a 6 way hub using the cylindrical parts already, but I think that a proper crewable looking hub for in between modules and as a junction would be awesome.

Your content is brilliant!

Some shots of the successful TSTS-105, Taking an ALCOR lander capsule for re-entry testing.

Click on the pictures to enlarge.

5298d76852230095e8caa6b9c12e7dca_thumb.png

ec99345ebc33ffdc51cc698f46e5502a_thumb.png

6a095bebe4c9764b78adf014a38d451d_thumb.png

9d0ef34deb3ea92784acd09f34f625c2_thumb.png

194c4efe209291637b0e8beb9417425b_thumb.png

EDIT

I would also like to suggest (if it has not been already) a miniature telescope, to fit into the cargo bay of the Orbiter.

Edited by Sir_Tramalot

Notice!

The KSO Block 7 Craft files contained in 2.07 may have "forgotten" the Pitch Trim to 14, speed to 100 for the OMS engines. It seems that changing plugins or something seems to affect craft files and for what ever reason, Shuttle Engine mod will sometimes forget settings.

Before launch make sure your OMS engines are both at Pitch Trim 14 and Speed 100.

A node/variant on the lab or hab module with integrated side connections/berths. Analogous to the Tranquility and Unity Nodes on the ISS?

Tranquility-node3.JPG

n8d5saK.png

Possible to makeshift now with surface attached Cubic Octagonal Strut, and then just attach a docking port to it. Still fits in the Bay even... in one orientation.

This thread needs more user-based screenshots. Heres my poor attempt at doing so.

Part mods used: Trusses from Talisar's Spherical Tanks, trusses from Jafer's THSS, KSO v2.6/2.5/1.7, and Sumghai's Fustek and SDHI parts (Oops! I forgot to add KAS and the Cacteye Telescope, but those are on a different save [Oh, and I forgot zzz's spherical tanks]).

http://imgur.com/a/zYKB3

I agree... may I add some misc. screenshots of my own.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

i know this will inavertably crash my KSP save file (i backed it up so worth a shot) but how do i make texture compressor (or whatever it's called) ignore the KSO file?

Remove "KSO.tcfg" from BoulderCo/textureCompressorConfigs

You guys are way more ahead than I am. It takes me hours to get a module in place. Here's my humble album:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Regarding additional modules and station parts.

-Guys just have to be a little patient. I'll make more modules and parts in future phases, I think this is a good start.

-Phase III will mostly be focused on the KSO EWBCL, moon lander, and rover.

-Additional station parts may be something for Phase IV since it would be things not needing an IVA.

Phase III details

-KSO EWBCL, a 2.5 meter rated KSO.

-Moon lander will really only be about three parts; capsule, fuel tank, and end frame.

-Moon lander will include a new engine; the Orbitz 64

-Struts in game are perfectly fine as it is. I don't see the need to make struts for it.

-The rover is a kit that will allow you to construct it how ever you want. Will include a wheel, a frame, and a motor.

Wow. Hours? For me it really doesn't take too long to get my stuff to orbit and docked, even with the SST being slightly unbalanced with my module designs, though that may be because I'm not using the KSO, as I am playing in career and haven't unlocked it yet. Maybe I'm just good at these things, or maybe I'm just really inefficient. Either way, I don't think I could stand waiting that long to attach a module to my stations. My station should be around 46 parts when complete, and it is actually a decent size, thankfully I have Editor Extensions so I made loads of partcount savings.