[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Remove "KSO.tcfg" from BoulderCo/textureCompressorConfigs

Gorgeous shots! And love the use of the various parts :D

Anyway you can PM me which mods as well as which setup specifically (since it seems that mod is a bit complicated) so I can make some of my crew female? I kind of want to break things up a bit once the station is operational.

Hey helldiver, back in the MechJeb thread you seemed to be asking about efficient ways to rendezvous with stations in orbit as MJ's rendezvous autopilot wants to kick you out to an orbit of 189 km before bringing you back in for rendezvous. Anyway I got around that problem and posted a reply in that thread. My post can be found at #5621 on this page: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/12384-PART-0-23-Anatid-Robotics-MuMech-MechJeb-Autopilot-v2-1-1/page563

Responded, and thanks, I'll try that setup on my next flight :D

Edited by helldiver

helldiver, I dunno if this has been suggested lately, haven't checked because of the ginormous amount of comments! (Not surprised because this mod is awesome)

Is it possible that you make the EFT cut of its nose cone and lower end cap? I feel like this can be awesome as DIRECT. Stock parts will help make it. :D

Some of TSTS-125, Deploying a spare tug, to be used in case of emergency.

http://imgur.com/a/XrjT0#14

EDIT

How do I embed an album?

nvm, helldiver as embedding covered :P

Edited by blackheart612

Some of TSTS-125, Deploying a spare tug, to be used in case of emergency.

http://imgur.com/a/XrjT0#14

EDIT

How do I embed an album?

Use {imgur]XrjT0[/imgur} (replace the {} with [])

For KSO plus MechJeb2 users

vCpG8Ob.jpg

Requirements:

You must have MechJeb2 latest version installed.

Download:

http://www./download/fm4yvd055555ym2/KSO_MechJeb2.zip

Installation:

Unpack archive. Drag and drop the Parts folder contained in the archive into your Kerbal Space Program/GameData/MechJeb2 folder.

-Support for MechJeb2 is a work in progress. A default KSO Block 7 will require a bit of experience and skill to work well with MechJeb. You may need to customize your KSO to take full advantage of MechJeb features. I've tested the KSO plus MechJeb thoroughly and it powers all my missions building the KSS (using Phase II parts). It has not given me any issues and I really didn't add or change anything to a stock KSO Block 7 craft file (aside from my payload). Make sure RCS is off when using MechJeb and the KSO as well as have both the KSO Avionics and the KSO Hinged Radome as they both provide additional needed torque that helps MechJeb torque properly.

-Make sure that the OMS engines are set to Pitch Trim 14 and Speed 100, otherwise MechJeb will not be able to properly control your KSO in vacuum.

-You can place this part anywhere, it does not have to be radially mounted and functions the same as a stock MechJeb2 AR202.

License

Permission is granted to the MechJeb team, to use, modify, re-upload, redistribute, as well as include this asset in their mod package.

Edited by helldiver

helldiver, I dunno if this has been suggested lately, haven't checked because of the ginormous amount of comments! (Not surprised because this mod is awesome)

Is it possible that you make the EFT cut of its nose cone and lower end cap? I feel like this can be awesome as DIRECT. Stock parts will help make it. :D

nvm, helldiver as embedding covered :P

Here are the reasons why I didn't do that although I was planning it:

-I was going to split them a while back. But then I got word from Nazari that having it split into three or more parts would have thrown off a lot of the data values he has set (same for the LRBs). So for now they are one part. It was also done in an effort to reduce the parts counts most folks are experiencing.

-It would have significantly complicated things, particularly the launch and balancing. I think part of the simplicity and ease of use of the KSO compared to other shuttles is the solid EFT and LRBs which solved the whole fuel tank location problem.

-There are numerous fuel tank mods out there as it is. The KSO is fully compatible with the stock jumbo Rockomax stock tank as well as KW Rocketry series of parts. If you recall way back when, the KSO wasn't even going to have a lifter but was going to rely on KW Rocketry parts. Adding another set of general use tanks to the pile, I kind of felt was just, I dunno. So instead I made these specific to the KSO.

-With the use of the KSO Top Mounted, I decided that eventually I'll include an alternate Noseless EFT (cut at the top grey ring just above the fuel radiator) since the EFT has a mounting point on the bottom. This EFT will be specifically targeted at Top Mounted users.

BTW, LOVE the Procedural Fairings mod and it's among the three mods I always install!

For KSO plus MechJeb2 users...

Already using ModuleManager to automagically assign MechJeb to all my command pods... but this part is so sexy I'm downloading it anyway. Thanks helldiver! :)

BTW, suggestion: we need an official KSO flag! Maybe something similar to the badges you've already made?

CiRm55w.pngLclWBqd.png

Is anyone using kerbal joint reinforcement with this? I'm considering installing it since there are so many docking port connections on my station, but I don't want to mess up my save if it's not compatible.

Is anyone using kerbal joint reinforcement with this? I'm considering installing it since there are so many docking port connections on my station, but I don't want to mess up my save if it's not compatible.

I am. Haven't experienced any problems with it (least that I'm aware of). Bear in mind though, it might become redundant with the upcoming ARM patch. Either way, no harm in backing up your save file and giving it a try. :)

Helldiver, in any future phases (as if you don't already have enough on your plate!) have you considered creating a Spacelab module for the KSO?

In my mind it would be 1/3 to 1/2 the length of the KerbLab module (hopefully you'd be able to reuse existing assets in it's construction). Ideally it's smaller size would allow you to put a docking port and a KSOAFM in the payload bay as well. This would allow players to do science from the KSO just like we did with Spacelab on the STS prior to the ISS' construction. It'd also be very useful for any player that wants to take the KSO beyond LKO. Just an idea!

If it isn't asking too much and to add to this excellent mod(s)... could a KSO "tilting decoupler" be provided as an optional KSO equipment?

Since I lack of the proper words to describe it... basically is a decoupler which tilts vertically from its default horizontal position (default during transport) allowing Sats/other payloads to be shoot up vertically from the cargo-hold. Like the NASA shuttles used...

You can find my request and pictures of what I'm talking about under the following link. Cheers

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/58029-Tilting-decoupler-for-shuttle-cargo-hold

Helldiver, in any future phases (as if you don't already have enough on your plate!) have you considered creating a Spacelab module for the KSO?

In my mind it would be 1/3 to 1/2 the length of the KerbLab module (hopefully you'd be able to reuse existing assets in it's construction). Ideally it's smaller size would allow you to put a docking port and a KSOAFM in the payload bay as well. This would allow players to do science from the KSO just like we did with Spacelab on the STS prior to the ISS' construction. It'd also be very useful for any player that wants to take the KSO beyond LKO. Just an idea!

Why do you need both a docking port and a AFM if all you're doing is science? You don't need to dock with anything if the mission is anything like the real Spacelab ones. The AFM isn't even needed for such mission, as you can get quite a long way with the Orbiter in the latest update. You can get a 300km orbit with a lab and some science stuff in the cargobay and come back safely.

When I try to acces the cameras through the laptops they all say no signal. Aren't they supposed to show the IVA of the other modules that I have on the station or am I missing something?

This is probably how the RCS booms are intended to work, right?

cr6JagZ.png

But with the thrusters I added it can actually rotate and turn using only RCS. I don't really want to put RCS on every payload though...

5QUEd1Z.png

Applying thrust in separate directions like this is how the SST would be much less frustrating to use.

Edited by ayana

So have you guys seen the player flag decals that were on various parts during the livestream? No idea how much of a headache those would be to implement, but I think they sure would look snazzy in place of the standard KSP logo as seen on the side of the KSO and tug.

After playing a bit with v2.07 I noticed that after you right click on the KerbalLab the right click function won't work on any other part unless you revert flight.

Have you tried to go back to the space center and then tracking station to reload the vessel and try it then?

Have you tried to go back to the space center and then tracking station to reload the vessel and try it then?

Yes that works too, but the bug means you can't use the Kerballab. The bug was in v2.05 I think it was but got fixed in v2.06.

Edited by Lekke

After playing a bit with v2.07 I noticed that after you right click on the KerbalLab the right click function won't work on any other part unless you revert flight.

This issue was also present in 2.04 and 2.06 (not sure about 2.05).

This issue was also present in 2.04 and 2.06 (not sure about 2.05).

Yes, but there was one version where it was fixed. I thought that was v2.06. I've played all versions so bit difficult to keep track wich is wich :P

Applying thrust in separate directions like this is how the SST would be much less frustrating to use.

We're well aware of this. Thing is, rcs thrusters are set up correctly, and the game doesn't like our little tug. The modules in 2.07 have torque on them, and making this change immediately made them easy to control for helldiver. When you move something light, like a truss, go ahead and retract the booms.

Why do you need both a docking port and a AFM if all you're doing is science? You don't need to dock with anything if the mission is anything like the real Spacelab ones. The AFM isn't even needed for such mission, as you can get quite a long way with the Orbiter in the latest update. You can get a 300km orbit with a lab and some science stuff in the cargobay and come back safely.

The reasoning behind asking for room for all three items is just to give more options to players.

Additionally, my initial idea was for the proposed Spacelab module to act like the 0.23 lab module in that once manned, that it could process science and clean experiments. So the docking port would be required to dock with the other craft and the KSOAFM might be useful in reaching not only a higher orbit, but also topping off the fuel in said craft as well.

I like your idea too though, i.e. letting the Spacelab module do science by itself like the stock science parts. As long it's takes biomes into account so you can do more than one or two experiments before it starts giving 0 science points.

Has anyone managed to compare the cost of the KSO vs other rocket builds? Is it worth it making and using and at what point in its service time does the vessel pay itself off?