[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

I've wrecked enough of them that I built the whole thing with rockets instead.

Still having trouble with landing? What part of the landing is giving you problems?

Edited by Lekke

I'm just checking in here to express my appreciation for the KSO. One of the highest-quality mods for KSP, possibly any game, I've ever seen. Looks great, works great and is so fun to fly I'm running out of excuses for the constant launches. :D Love the fluff from a few pages back, too.

Here's a beauty shot of my Resolute coming in for docking on her first post-refit (i.e. Phase 2) flight, with just a few KAS boxes and the AFM onboard. I'll probably have to start building a station soon-ish to justify future launches...

TlwpoSu.jpg

Probably FAR and the lack of a joystick to control it with better.

I thought landing with FAR was easier... but it has been awhile since I landed without a joystick. Where have you been crashing? Final Approach?

Finally I shut RCS and SAS off and just let the craft coast the final 10 or so meters.

The best part about this method is your ship will more quickly rotate so the docking ports are flush if the ship is tilted off-axis at all. I'll watch people make videos where they dock and you can watch the ship fighting against the player, resisting docking, because the player still has SAS locked on an off-axis orientation. The magnets can do all the work for you if you just let go.

I thought landing with FAR was easier... but it has been awhile since I landed without a joystick. Where have you been crashing? Final Approach?

Pretty much. Flaps would probably help but I'm juggling enough keys as it is at that point.

Pretty much. Flaps would probably help but I'm juggling enough keys as it is at that point.

I don't remember the Default actiongroup bindings but I have flaps next to the airbrake on my setup (3 & 4). I usually lower the flaps before final approach. Touchdown usually with both Airbrake and Flaps deployed (unless I was low on airspeed to begin with but usually not the case).

I don't remember the Default actiongroup bindings but I have flaps next to the airbrake on my setup (3 & 4). I usually lower the flaps before final approach. Touchdown usually with both Airbrake and Flaps deployed (unless I was low on airspeed to begin with but usually not the case).

Airbrakes maybe, but flaps won't help, they're purely visual at this time. I know the problem I always have is that I get too much lift and come in over KSC way to fast and high. When FAR compatibility does come it may actually help to make the KSO's flight characteristics a bit more brick-like.

Airbrakes maybe, but flaps won't help, they're purely visual at this time. I know the problem I always have is that I get too much lift and come in over KSC way to fast and high. When FAR compatibility does come it may actually help to make the KSO's flight characteristics a bit more brick-like.

I also might suggest what kind of cargo ayana has in the bay. Might be causing too much drag.

Haven't had the overshoot problem. Where are you aiming during your deorbit burn? With FAR, I aim short of KCS.

I ended up doing a descending circle but I could of just dove with the airbrake a little earlier and came in sooner then with the descending circle.

I'm still making practice attempts without cargo and trying out various deorbit burns. I can't overshoot too much or I can't get it around with enough speed left. Trying for completely unpowered landings, so all the fuel gets dumped before reentry.

I'm still making practice attempts without cargo and trying out various deorbit burns. I can't overshoot too much or I can't get it around with enough speed left. Trying for completely unpowered landings, so all the fuel gets dumped before reentry.

Don't forget about the Island Airfield if you don't have enough energy to get back to KSC. A shorter and more hazardous runway but is arguably better then the water.

Are you typically overshooting KSC?

Don't forget about the Island Airfield if you don't have enough energy to get back to KSC. A shorter and more hazardous runway but is arguably better then the water.

Are you typically overshooting KSC?

In my recent attempts, by 50 kilometers or so. I'd try more often but reentry takes such a long time it doesn't seem worth it.

In my recent attempts, by 50 kilometers or so. I'd try more often but reentry takes such a long time it doesn't seem worth it.

Quicksave with F5 and reload with F9 to mess around with different deorbit burns. Are you aiming short of KSC or long? You can safely deploy the airbrake around 500 m/s (actually at 1000m/s but the g-load gets higher)

In the video, I'm just west of KSC at 450-500 m/s with a good amount of altitude as well. I enter into a descending turn holding around 200-250m/s while loosing altitude and lining up with the runway. (I could of just hit the airbrake and used a steep dive... but oh well) Also the ScanSat Map in the cockpit will give a good estimated flightpath and landing location. Great for navigating. Edited by SaSquatch

Quicksave with F5 and reload with F9 to mess around with different deorbit burns. Are you aiming short of KSC or long? You can safely deploy the airbrake around 500 m/s (actually at 1000m/s but the g-load gets higher)

In the video, I'm just west of KSC at 450-500 m/s with a good amount of altitude as well. I enter into a descending turn holding around 200-250m/s while loosing altitude and lining up with the runway. (I could of just hit the airbrake and used a steep dive... but oh well) Also the ScanSat Map in the cockpit will give a good estimated flightpath and landing location. Great for navigating.

How did you have the control surfaces set up for this?

Just everything at the default settings? I know I didn't do that.

Is your cargo hold absolutely empty? The cargo hold doesn't prevent drag from cargo and it can stack up pretty fast and have dramatic effects on the reentry profile. Most loads I bring back I try to have in a stack in the bay, with a nosecone or other cap even. Otherwise I'll end up in the water far far away from KSP.

Is your cargo hold absolutely empty? The cargo hold doesn't prevent drag from cargo and it can stack up pretty fast and have dramatic effects on the reentry profile. Most loads I bring back I try to have in a stack in the bay, with a nosecone or other cap even. Otherwise I'll end up in the water far far away from KSP.

There is a fix for that in the FAR configuration I used. But I left the bay empty anyways, until I can reliably get the thing down in one piece.

There is a fix for that in the FAR configuration I used. But I left the bay empty anyways, until I can reliably get the thing down in one piece.

What's the Fix? (PM me or something if this is too off topic)

I just ran a keyboard only landing with a "mostly" empty cargo hold (I had some stuff in there... like a KAS winch).

A couple of tips maybe.... KSO gets twitchy when you're above 150m/s or so during Final (maybe just my cargo drag). Keeping airspeed lower near 100-120m/s during final makes it much more stable. Also the Velocity Vector on the Hud in IVA is really handy for lining up with the runway.

Edited by SaSquatch

What's the Fix? (PM me or something if this is too off topic)

I just ran a keyboard only landing with a "mostly" empty cargo hold (I had some stuff in there... like a KAS winch).

A couple of tips maybe.... KSO gets twitchy when you're above 150m/s or so during Final (maybe just my cargo drag). Keeping airspeed lower near 100-120m/s during final makes it much more stable. Also the Velocity Vector on the Hud in IVA is really handy for lining up with the runway.

The cargo bay is defined as a winglet in it's configuration, so FAR ignores it being a cargo bay. Has to be set as "part".