[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Interesting. On my system I saw an overall performance increase with Mavericks. Do you have any weird third party daemons running in the background?

Not to my knowledge. I combed through my logs and didn't see anything abnormal, other than mds eating a bit more RAM than normal, but it was still indexing. as of right now, I have mds turned off, and restarted the systemUI process to reset Spotlight (which is a huge RAM hog). I might try updating after I read more on it, and backup my computer again.

ALSO:

No matter what I try, I always overshoot the runway. Following the instructions, burning at the right time with an unmodified orbiter with no cargo.

As for the 90 fuel or less, how exactly is one supposed to accomplish that? Burning it in the engines is just going to change my orbit even further. Do I need a mod that allows me to dump fuel?

I've had success with doing the following from a 75-80km circular and level orbit:

Set up a node opposite of the KSC (it's on the continent that looks like Africa). Adjust until you have roughly a 28,000m periapsis. Move the node until the periapsis is over the Japan-looking island to the east of the KSC. Burn on the maneuver node and you should come in right over the KSC with plenty of altitude to maneuver.

I've come in with over 100 units of LOx and Oxidizer, and landed perfectly. With out MechJeb, I might add.

Due to Mavericks (the new "better" OSX 10.9) eating so much RAM, I was forced to recover my laptop to an older back up, thus losing all of my screenshots and saves.

Mavericks uses more RAM to have quick access to OS things. It doesn't affect my KSP experience at all, and I've seen similar results from before I upgraded (from 10.6). Technically you are using more RAM, but the OS is supposed to be smart enough to dump memory from the OS into KSP. This is also on a 4GB RAM machine, so KSP needs all of the free RAM it can get.

I've come in with over 100 units of LOx and Oxidizer, and landed perfectly. With out MechJeb, I might add.

I can't land a plane of any kind in KSP, so trying to do it with a shuttle from orbit is next to impossible for me.

I really want to do more with this than just launching it in sandbox. Does anyone have any tips on learning how to land planes in KSP? I'd prefer not to use a joystick, desk space is limited.

Mavericks uses more RAM to have quick access to OS things. It doesn't affect my KSP experience at all, and I've seen similar results from before I upgraded (from 10.6). Technically you are using more RAM, but the OS is supposed to be smart enough to dump memory from the OS into KSP. This is also on a 4GB RAM machine, so KSP needs all of the free RAM it can get.

Interesting. I'll have to try again when I get a chance after work.

I really want to do more with this than just launching it in sandbox. Does anyone have any tips on learning how to land planes in KSP? I'd prefer not to use a joystick, desk space is limited.

Learn with the Ravenspear Mk IV. When you're lined up with the runway, keep the prograde marker on the navball on the 90º mark; if you're lined up correctly the runway will be right beneath you. A good approach for me is between -5º to -10º; flare up before touchdown.

Alternatively, Scott Manley has three videos dealing with planes, so you could

if you want.

Jeb said to Bill lets reconfigure the KSO, a much perplexed Bill said with what, let's use those high quality Titan IIIC SRB's from the FASA corporation says Jeb, a slow grin appears on Bill's face lets have some fun.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

These are the pics from Jebs experiment, the SRB's push the KSO to around 23000m before they seperate, mechjeb throttle's the main engines down to around 2/3rds to 1/2 throttle up to 10000m it easly reaches 300km orbit and jettisons the ET on the start of circulisation burn and finishes with the oms engines with bucket loads of fuel left after.

The KSO and FASA are my two favorite mods at the moment

Edited by Virtualgenius

I'm getting errors, and they relate to KSO.

[Warning]: Part ssport1kso cannot load module #1. It only has 1 modules defined
[Warning]: PartModule is null.
[Error]: Cannot load Module ModuleSAS because the associated module on the part doesn't match the saved module
[Error]: Cannot load Module ModuleReactionWheel because the associated module on the part doesn't match the saved module
[Error]: Cannot load Module FSanimateGeneric because the associated module on the part doesn't match the saved module
[Warning]: Part KSO.SST cannot load module #10. It only has 10 modules defined
[Warning]: Part ssport1kso cannot load module #1. It only has 1 modules defined
[Warning]: Part ssport2kso cannot load module #1. It only has 1 modules defined
[Error]: Cannot load Module ModuleTripLogger because the associated module on the part doesn't match the saved module
[Error]: Cannot load Module MechJebRPMVariables because the associated module on the part doesn't match the saved module
[Warning]: Part ssport2kso cannot load module #1. It only has 1 modules defined

I have deleted the KSO file from gamedata and replaced it with a brand new one, from both the folder I have on my desktop, the a new download from the first page. Can anyone help me?

[...]

Any thoughts around KAS grab support for the really small parts (solar panels and mechjeb unit)?

I had a look at that the other day, incidentally, since I wanted the small panel, goo lights and hand hold KAS-attachable for station building. Easy to do, it turns out: In KAS's "addModule.cfg", copy and paste another part's section (preferably from something with a similar shape so the position on a Kerbal's back looks alright), replace the part name (e.g. with sspanelsmallkso for the solar panel) and edit storedSize according to taste. Works perfectly well, though it's perhaps advisable to edit the "title" line in the mystery goo lights' configs so you can tell them apart by name alone.

Yup, the Buran is closer to how big KSO Super 25 will be. So is CSS, so don't suggest using KSO instead of it until Phase III comes out. :)

Yup, the Buran is closer to how big KSO Super 25 will be. So is CSS, so don't suggest using KSO instead of it until Phase III comes out. :)

No friend not at all.

KSO EWBCL (KSO Super 25) is just about 10% larger than the KSO you have now.

Cargo bay is 25% longer or 5.1 Meters long (5.2 from Pad to Pad).

Cargo bay is rated at 2.6 Meters (2.65 to outside). Plenty of space for 2.5 components.

Cargo Bay cannot fit a Rockomax Jumbo tank inside it.

Built in Standard Docking Port from KSOS Phase II on top. No need to take up space in cargo bay for docking port accessories, the Super 25 has a built in Moon Roof (MunRoof)

Built in Standard Docking Port can be placed in the front. Front of nose opens to reveal node for KSOS Standard Docking port.

2 Kerbals Flight Deck

6 Kerbals Crew Deck

All new IVA

Edited by helldiver

Talk about stubby... :) I hoped it'd be bigger, in line with other 2.5m-rated Shuttles. That said, it'd be a little small for a whole lot of radial stuff to fit. Also, 25% cargobay stretch while the rest is stretched 10%? Wouldn't that look a bit odd? Anyway, looking forward to it.

I know how long it was. The problem is proportions. They're fine now, but with such modifications, it might start looking a bit weird. That said, it'll probably look fine, since it's Helldiver modeling it.

Cargo bay is rated at 2.6 Meters (2.65 to outside). Plenty of space for 2.5 components.

Built in Standard Docking Port from KSOS Phase II on top. No need to take up space in cargo bay for docking port accessories, the Super 25 has a built in Moon Roof (MunRoof)

Built in Standard Docking Port can be placed in the front. Front of nose opens to reveal node for KSOS Standard Docking port.

2 Kerbals Flight Deck

6 Kerbals Crew Deck

All new IVA

*mega drool*

No friend not at all.

2 Kerbals Flight Deck

6 Kerbals Crew Deck

All new IVA

I love the idea of the MunRoof! I've found myself looking for those windows on more than a few launches! :D

One thing I have to ask, Helldiver... Have you considered putting in an additional window or two on the flight deck that look into the payload bay? Granted the KSO already has an RPM camera in the payload bay, but I figured I'd at least ask about an STS-like window. :)

No friend not at all.

2 Kerbals Flight Deck

6 Kerbals Crew Deck

All new IVA

This sounds like it will be a great addition. I do hope you'll share some development shots of it if you have time. Keep up the great work, helldiver and Nazari.

Earlier someone posted that if you put a 3rd OMS engine on the shuttle it would reduce the node dancing. I've tested this out and it works pretty well, it's not perfect but a big improvement over only 2 OMS engines. If you increase the tolerance in the maneuver planner to 0.5 you'll have almost no node dancing. Also you have to disable the trim on the engines.

No friend not at all.

2 Kerbals Flight Deck

6 Kerbals Crew Deck

All new IVA

How many cup holders? How many more snacks will the galley carry? These are the questions my Kerbals want to know! :P

How many cup holders? How many more snacks will the galley carry? These are the questions my Kerbals want to know! :P

Snacks in the galley? Pfft. Too small. Jeb says that's what the payload bay is for! :D

Learn with the Ravenspear Mk IV. When you're lined up with the runway, keep the prograde marker on the navball on the 90º mark; if you're lined up correctly the runway will be right beneath you. A good approach for me is between -5º to -10º; flare up before touchdown.

Alternatively, Scott Manley has three videos dealing with planes, so you could

if you want.

Thanks, I'll watch them soon. Once I'm lined up with the runway, it's not too hard - my problem is getting to that point from orbit. I usually either overshoot or come up very short (many km). I am getting better but it's more luck than practice.

What do you mean by "flare up"? I've heard this term before but have no idea what it means or how to do it.

Hello, im still having issues with the KSO mod. None of the buttons in the cockpit seem to work such as lights. The MFD's also seem to not want to work. MFD's in the other moduels like the tender and such work but nothing in the orbiter's cockpit will work. i have started over, reinstalled, clean installed and removed various mods and reinstalled the KSO mod only to have the same problem. i even tried getting the stand alone MFD mod as well as the custom MFD mod but still the problem persists. is there anyone who could possibly help me?

On a side note: the tender craft seems to have issues with its RCS with all of the RCS on one side of the craft firing at once and making it rather difficult to manuver and control once you have captured a station part such as the habitat moduel for example.

The node dancing is a known issue, what helps is in maneuver planner set the tolerance from 0.1 to 6.0. Your burns aren't as precise but it improves the node dancing.

Mucho gracias. That helped a lot.