[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Hey guys just downloaded this mod today. Do we need the modulemanager.DLL for this to work? also can i create a KOS folder inside the gamedata and move all KOS and plugin contents inside it. Just to keep all the mod pieces together in one folder. trying to clean up my gamedata folder a little.

I believe that's a yes and no.

Helvetica is the correct font used by NASA.

The KSO uses Arial Bold 24

I decided to take more in-progress shots since you guys have been awesome!

http://imgur.com/a/HnNkw

-Removed the "boatish" look of the front lower half of the fuselage. I didn't like the look.

-Made the KSO Super 25 look Sportier and slightly more aerodynamic. Matches the previous KSO a bit better.

-Completed the detailing of the Cargo bay. I'm keeping it simple.

-Completed the detailing of the mun-door bay.

-Still have actuators and struts on the control surfaces to do. Must do one final review with Nazari regarding splitting. If I do end up splitting the rear end off, I'd have to do some minor modeling for the bulkheads you'd see while in the VAB.

Aside from the that, the 3D model is about 90% finished. Once those things are out of the way, it's on to UVW mapping, Normal Map generation, and texturing. The fun part :D

So I had a question about the cargo bay. I notice on this model (and the current KSO too) that you model in some kind of square bump on the front and rear surfaces of the cargo bay. What is the reason for this? IMHO, those surfaces should be flat, since you are going to be putting on a docking port on the node(s) on each end anyway. Removing those little bumps gives you a few more inches of space in the cargo bay since the nodes will be slightly further apart, and would make the look a little cleaner too since the docking parts you add on do not always match the square bump in the model (round docking port, octagon, small docking port, etc).

Was there some specific detail you were going after when putting those little bumps in? It would seem to be they are a little redundant given you included a variety of attachment parts in your recent packs. And like I said it would give you a little extra room on either end.

I launched a 0.7x scaled version of the Cacteye telescope using the current KSO and it *just* fits in the cargo bay. Removing those baked in bumps would have given a little more breathing room on either end when maneuvering it out using the arm I made.

Otherwise the shuttle(s) are looking great

So I had a question about the cargo bay. I notice on this model (and the current KSO too) that you model in some kind of square bump on the front and rear surfaces of the cargo bay. What is the reason for this? IMHO, those surfaces should be flat, since you are going to be putting on a docking port on the node(s) on each end anyway. Removing those little bumps gives you a few more inches of space in the cargo bay since the nodes will be slightly further apart, and would make the look a little cleaner too since the docking parts you add on do not always match the square bump in the model (round docking port, octagon, small docking port, etc).

Was there some specific detail you were going after when putting those little bumps in? It would seem to be they are a little redundant given you included a variety of attachment parts in your recent packs. And like I said it would give you a little extra room on either end.

I launched a 0.7x scaled version of the Cacteye telescope using the current KSO and it *just* fits in the cargo bay. Removing those baked in bumps would have given a little more breathing room on either end when maneuvering it out using the arm I made.

Otherwise the shuttle(s) are looking great

I think you're referring to the attachment pads. Those are my trademark and they aren't going anywhere.

Aside from that, they help myself and later Nazari keep the weight and pivot point (you guys call it root?) and the entire object centerline along the Z axis since they act as a guide.

Helldiver:

I'm not sure how hard or easy this would be to do, but instead of having a straight name on the side of the shuttle, could you not use the new toggleable flag decal? Simply, why not designate an area for the name, then use the mission flag selector in the VAB to select what your shuttle will be named? Mission flags save with the craft file, so it would be the same every time it was loaded.

Like I said, I don't know how difficult this would be, so I don't really mind if you just shoot it down off the bat.

The 44th of my STS KSO Shuttle Missions and 8th flight of Phase II! STS 144's objectives are to deploy the Laythe Propulsion Module and land on Laythe. Jeb and the Rebels aren't happy about being phased out in favor of the KSO Super 25 EWBCL! All of Kerbin's media and attention is focused on the rebels. So much so that Kongress has promised to pass a law allowing for 30 more KSO missions (to move the base to Laythe), but only if Jeb succeeds in landing! Jeb can keep the KSO alive by planting a rebel flag in the Laythean sand. If he succeeds, a rocket will be sent to refuel the Propulsion module to bring him home.

Thanks to Green Skull Industries (forum user: Green Skull) for his custom space suits and ships and to forum user Doc Shaftoe for his flags!!

The KSO Manned Laythe Mission will run STS 141- STS 145.

Most of the footage shown in 8x speed for quicker viewing.

STS 145 will bring Jeb back from Laythe!

Helldiver, can you integrate deadly reentry in your minishuttle?

As has been said before, the KSO is compatible with DRE (though not exactly optimized for it). Each part on the underside comes with 250 ablative shielding and it can handle reentry with both DRE and FAR installed, you just have to be careful with it.

Hi Helldiver. First, thank you for taking up my initial suggestions a long time ago for adding the ablative shielding and such.

I now have another request I think you might like...

For the Hex Truss, how bad would it be to add two more attach nodes? These truss segments are the perfect size to fit the default round "TAC Life Support" containers.

Ala:

NJ0rvCZ.png

Here is how I did it:

node_stack_bottom01 = 0, 0, 0.75, 0, 0, 1, 1
node_stack_bottom02 = 0, 0, -0.75, 0, 0, -1, 1

node_stack_bottom03 = 0.75, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1
node_stack_bottom04 = -0.75, 0, 0, -1, 0, 0, 1

node_stack_top = 0, 1.526, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1
node_stack_bottom = 0, -1.526, 0, 0, -1, 0, 1
node_stack_top01 = 0, 1.3, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1
node_stack_bottom05 = 0, -1.3, 0, 0, -1, 0, 1

node_attach = 0, 1.526, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1

The 45th of my STS KSO Shuttle Missions and first flight of the Rebellious! STS 145's objectives are to return to LKO from Laythe, Dock with KSO Rebellious, and land on the KSC runway. Jeb and the Rebels aren't happy about being phased out in favor of the KSO Super 25 EWBCL! The Rebels have succeeded in extending the KSO mini shuttle program! However, there was some Loyalist interference. Jeb has gotten a little crazy after the Loyalists forced him to ditch his habitat module and is now on a quest to stamp out any Loyalist sentiment among the kerbalnaughts, starting with the Duna Scout Base!

Thanks to Green Skull Industries (forum user: Green Skull) for his custom space suits and ships and to forum user Doc Shaftoe for his flags!!

The KSO Manned Laythe Mission will run STS 141- STS 145.

Most of the footage shown in 8x speed for quicker viewing.

STS 146 will be the first of three Duna Scout Base Crew Swap (Totally Not a Hostile Takeover) Missions!

I noted some issues with the solar panels on the Observation Module station part. They generate power when closed (covering the windows) and when deployed, they only generate power facing away from the Sun. Not sure if this is a known issue, but I thought I'd point it out incase it's been overlooked.

Edited by Einarr

Would it be possible to have the elevons integrated into the wing on the EWBCL so that they don't have to be placed on manually? Or, at least, can you make them attachable by nodes?

(Same with the SRBs. It'd be nice to have an exact spot (a node) for those to go.)

Is it possible to use the docking camera with RPM by adding an external camera or does that currently not work? Also, the monitors in the KSO seem to function like 2 in one spot, as two screens meshed over eachother.

Edited by CactusLynx

Beautiful mod, love sending stuff up in style, just keep loosing my front gear upon deadly reentry, but turns out it's not necessary anyway, 80% kerbals survival rate, and flies fair enough with FAR.

The blue flames are brilliant.

I adore this mod, but have recently removed it because I can't use the KSO displays in other crafts, despite them being imposed onto them.

Ooh! Ooh! What if you collaborated with the guy who made the ALCOR capsule and added some extra functional IVA buttons?

The 46th of my STS KSO Shuttle Missions and 2nd flight of the Rebellious! STS 146's objective is to deploy the Duna Scout Base Crew Swap Fuel Module and return to the KSC Runway! Jeb and the Rebels aren't happy about being phased out in favor of the KSO Super 25 EWBCL and have succeeded in lobbying Kongress to extend the KSO mini shuttle program! However, there's been some Loyalist interference and Jeb has gotten a little crazy (after they forced him to ditch his habitat module last mission) and is now on a quest to stamp out any Loyalist sentiment among the kerbalnaughts, starting with the Duna Scout Base!

The Duna Scout Base Crew Swap Missions will run STS 146- STS 148.

Most of the footage shown in 4x speed for quicker viewing.

STS 147 will deploy the Crew Swap Lander, head off to Duna, and Land at the Base!

Beautiful mod, love sending stuff up in style, just keep loosing my front gear upon deadly reentry, but turns out it's not necessary anyway, 80% kerbals survival rate, and flies fair enough with FAR.

The blue flames are brilliant.

Try about a 45 deg angle of attack while your re-entering. The ablative shielding is directional, and this seems to work pretty well for me.

Progress Updates

-2.09 is in the works. Will have some improvements to the airstair on the KSO and the RCS Boom on the SST in regards to the animations not firing correctly when you switch between nearby spacecraft/EVAs.

-2.09, Nazari is working on Flap functionality using firespitter. The Flaps will function in the KSO/KSO Super 25 without the need for FAR on a stock KSOS installation, that is our goal. Flaps will be simple: On, provide extra lift, Off, default lift values.

Phase 2.5

-KSO Super 25 3D model is done.

To Do

-UVW and texture mapping.

-Normal map, and texture map generation.