[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Upper stages aren't on the list in the OP,

Exactly what I said.

badly camouflached feature request.

I was explaining to likke_A_boss what an upper stage actually is just in case he "forgot." I already know Helldiver and Nazarath don't take requests.

The 57th of my STS KSO Shuttle Missions and 13th flight of the Rebellious! STS 157's objectives are to deploy the Laythe Colony Launch Pad2, send the colony off to Laythe, and begin initial setup! Jeb and the Rebels aren't happy about being phased out in favor of the KSO Super 25 EWBCL and have succeeded in lobbying Kongress to move the KSO mini shuttle program permanently to Laythe!

The Rebel Colony on Laythe will initially house 12 kerbals and contain a micro smelter, micro 3d printer, two fuel generators, two nuclear power generators, two ore drills, and a mini EPL Launchpad2.

Thanks to Green Skull Industries (forum user: Green Skull) for his custom space suits and ships and to forum user Doc Shaftoe for his flags!!

Most of the footage shown in 8x speed for quicker viewing.

STS 158 will begin in situ construction of the colony, in preparation for Jeb's arrival in Rebellious!

The Colony Deployment and Transfer to Laythe missions will run STS 150 through STS 157.

Exactly what I said.

I was explaining to likke_A_boss what an upper stage actually is just in case he "forgot." I already know Helldiver and Nazarath don't take requests.

Ahh, alright. I see the cause of confusion now. Sorry if I offended you :)

I know the node on the side of the observation module is for fitting it to the structural adapter for travel. Not sure what node you're talking about on the SST though. :/

I don't think that's what these nodes are for...here's a pic:

CDA0256D1AAD6EFD60F880A57E12371C0C20502C

After some testing, it seems they are vestigial. They appear visually but you can't actually attach anything to those points. I hadn't thought to actually try to attach something before. I thought anything placed in those positions would make the craft off center and unattractive.

I made a config for these part for Connected Living Space

@PART[KSO_Cabin]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]] 
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleConnectedLivingSpace
passable = true
impassablenodes = top , avio , gear
}
}

@PART[cgholdkso]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
impassablenodes = bottom04 , bottom05 , bottom06 , bottom07
}
}

@PART[dockingkso]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
impassablenodes = bottom
}

@PART[dockstandardkso]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

@PART[ss2pointextkso]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

@PART[ss3pointhubkso]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

@PART[ss4pointhubkso]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

@PART[ss6pointhubkso]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

@PART[ssauxfuelkso]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

@PART[KSO_Observation]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
impassablenodes = bottom
}
}

@PART[KSO_DockingModule]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

@PART[KSO_Habitat]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

@PART[KSO_Hydroponics]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

@PART[KSO_KerbaLab]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

@PART[ssport1kso]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

@PART[ssport2kso]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true

}
}

@PART[sspowerkso]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

@PART[KSO_SST]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
impassablenodes = bottom
}
}

Took me a bit to fight around those weird nodes since they aren't labeled in the configs... bottom, bottom01, bottom02, bottom03... not the most descriptive :)

Anyways if you use the cfg, I couldn't get the docking ports working.

Hi all.

First off, many thanks and congratulations for this amazing mod. I've been away since .21, and this mod and EVE are what brought me back in. Amazing stuff.

Next up, I have what is almost certainly a very stupid question. I've seen videos here of people flying this, and while in IVA mode, I've seen them zoom in/out on the instruments in the cockpit.

My question is how? Please tell me there's keys for this, as I use a trackball without a scroll wheel.

Thanks, and again, FANTASTIC mod.

Godspeed, Kerbals.

Hi all.

First off, many thanks and congratulations for this amazing mod. I've been away since .21, and this mod and EVE are what brought me back in. Amazing stuff.

Next up, I have what is almost certainly a very stupid question. I've seen videos here of people flying this, and while in IVA mode, I've seen them zoom in/out on the instruments in the cockpit.

My question is how? Please tell me there's keys for this, as I use a trackball without a scroll wheel.

Thanks, and again, FANTASTIC mod.

Godspeed, Kerbals.

I have an Apple Trackpad instead of a mouse (https://www.apple.com/magictrackpad/) and I use two fingers to zoom in and out. Not sure if your laptop or computer can change the inputs on your trackball, but I would check the setting. Also, double clicking on windows will center their frame in your camera if that's what you meant.

Thanks for the reply, but no, that's not what I meant. I am trying to zoom in and out of the instrument panel in IVA mode. I don't have an apple machine or trackpad, and I don't have a mousewheel on the trackball I use.

I know in the construction screens you can use PGUP/PGDN to do what the mousewheel does, but that doesn't seem to work in flight.

I can't find the answer to this, and reading 154 posts is a bit much:

What is the RCS boom for on the Tug? Is there some special clip on the end that "grabs" parts?

No no, you dock whatever you want to move to the front of the tug, then extend the RCS booms to keep your RCS balanced around the center of mass.

Update

-High Res is done, AO is done, the big stuff is out of the way for the exterior.

-Have to do some cleanups and put it back together as I move along.

[iMAGE SNIPPED]

The Super 25 looks great. I would have to say that if there was anything that made its way to the Mini Shuttle it would be that built in top mounted docking port.

Also, as a feature request, I'd love to see command modules for both shuttles that turns them into something resembling the X-37B. (Basically the command modules with the windows and hatches removed, and made unmanned.)

Looking good there, helldiver. Also I flew the KSO for the first time a few days back it flies incredible. But what is with the long glide with it and the low (almost 53m/s) glide speed? Is that something that you have put into the model itself?

First launch I had zero troubles with it, rolled over upside down for the gravity turn, rolled over to dump the external tank, changed over to the smaller "space" engines and boosted up into 100km orbits with easy with other KSO station parts. And to top it off it had enough fuel to make a de-orbital burn for a landing back at KSP. I've been able to land it with-out breaking apart, although recently I've landed too soon and busted both wings off. I've nearly hit the tallest peak in the mountains that are just before KSP three times now, as I've adjusted to take it in without an overshoot 180 turn into landing on the runway in reverse. I've also put it down on the island runway a few times. And somehow I had an abort-to-orbit were some odd reason one of the shuttles main engines blew up. Once I ditched the external tank I de-orbited and came back in for a landing. Was forced to engage the smaller two engines to take over for the larger one. Looked back in the log and it sad the engine hit the launch pad!?!?!?

I look forward to the Super 25 and to what it will bring to space soonâ„¢

Update

-High Res is done, AO is done, the big stuff is out of the way for the exterior.

-Have to do some cleanups and put it back together as I move along.

http://i.imgur.com/FgYzwOq.jpg

Looking great! I can't remember if this was asked before but figured I'd ask anyway. Will the wings have the ailerons and flaps built in or will the ailerons have to be placed manually like the original KSO?

nobody answered when i asked this last, so ill ask one more time. Is the KSO not FAR compatible? and if not any guesses as to when it will be?

I have just started reading this thread again today. I deleted KSO Phase 1 version because Jeb deemed it as far too dangerous with FAR (Ferram Aerospace). I downloaded KSO again today because I wanted to take a look at the Phase 2 station parts (and they are wonderful). Just for a laugh, or so I thought, I launched it in sandbox (outside my main career save) and was very pleasantly surprised that it was as beautiful to fly a re-entry and land smack on the KSP runway threshold as it is beautiful to look at. The old Phase 1 had an unhandle-able FAR-installed stall speed of around 150 m/s. I had this version floating across the grass on final approach at well below 100 m/s. Presumably FAR started being possible somewhere around 2.04 and it is probably due to work done in the last 2 months on both mods. I have now incorporated KSO into my career game. DRE (Deadly Re-Entry) can make things a bit tricky but I can manage that challenge. I am currently testing out this...

Give this one a try. I've a few concerns about it but I think it should do... unless it's for RSS? Not sure if it will do for that.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9n4d9g6e7u6jbr/dre_KSO.cfg

I am not (yet) using or experimenting with this config file posted earlier...

Looked back in the log and it sad the engine hit the launch pad!?!?!?

KSP chooses the wrong error message for some reason. Apparently, that means "physics went really mad and KSP couldn't work out what went wrong". KJR tends to increase the probability of that happening when extra-stiff joints cause momentary accelerations of numerical-overflow proportions.

Okay cool!! Will the super 25 be its own thread/download pack? Or will you bundle it with the KSO? I'd like it if you could make them separate packs, as the KSO already pushes my game data over 1gb by itself and I'd guess adding the super 25 to that pack will push that number past 2gb. leaving little room for any other mods:( not saying you have to do that. Just giving a thought.