[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Not trying to rush you helldiver. Do you have a rough eta on when the super 25 will be ready? Like are we looking at this weekend, 1 week, 2 weeks or like next month? Just wondering so I know if I need to begin deleting mods to make room for the 25.

Looking good! I just hope the last 40% doesn't take as long as the first 40%. :P I do agree with deathsoul97 about the rear gear being a bit far forward, but its not a big deal. I also like the built in docking port cover on the cockpit, it would be nice to have a similar one on the KSO mini.

Something I've been wondering since the start, why are your rear gears so far forward? I can understand the placement if the craft was an SSTO, or meant to take off horizontally at all, but as it is, I would expect the gear to be much further rearward, and it would give a lot more clearance for flaring and landing. Loving the design though, BTW.

It's hard to tell without a side on profile view, but to me they look like they aren't much further forward then the main gear on the real space shuttle.

It's hard to tell without a side on profile view, but to me they look like they aren't much further forward then the main gear on the real space shuttle.

Actually, after doing a quick google images search I think they are the in the right spot compared to the actually space shuttle. 640px-Space_Shuttle_Atlantis_landing_at_KSC_following_STS-122.jpg

Edited by Robotengineer
Fixed the fact that I embedded a 2000 x 3000 image XD

Not trying to rush you helldiver. Do you have a rough eta on when the super 25 will be ready? Like are we looking at this weekend, 1 week, 2 weeks or like next month? Just wondering so I know if I need to begin deleting mods to make room for the 25.

When its done.

It's probably too late to suggest, but...

Can I suggest you make the forward part of the "cabin" area (just behind the nosecone) into a separate RCS fuel tank? That way players can perform a trick the real shuttle used, which is pumping RCS fuel between the rear and forward tanks to affect trim during the re-entry. It's possible to do this (with some cfg-tweaking) for the previous version, it would be nice to do this with the new model!

It's probably too late to suggest, but...

Can I suggest you make the forward part of the "cabin" area (just behind the nosecone) into a separate RCS fuel tank? That way players can perform a trick the real shuttle used, which is pumping RCS fuel between the rear and forward tanks to affect trim during the re-entry. It's possible to do this (with some cfg-tweaking) for the previous version, it would be nice to do this with the new model!

The cockpit, cargo bay, and rear fuselage are all one piece.

AT8qOVb.jpg

So it should be easier (read: less tail-first) for reentry without having to dump all your fuel since it shouldn't be tail-heavy like an empty KSO with fuel in the rear fuselage.

So it should be easier (read: less tail-first) for reentry without having to dump all your fuel since it shouldn't be tail-heavy like an empty KSO with fuel in the rear fuselage.

Fair enough! Anyway, I realise could create a mod-manager .cfg to allow it. Just adds RCS capacity to the nose gear.

Fair enough! Anyway, I realise could create a mod-manager .cfg to allow it. Just adds RCS capacity to the nose gear.

http://i.imgur.com/AT8qOVb.jpg

Hmm, one piece body. No more LES I guess :(

What will be the crew capacity for the super 25?

Eight (8)

I'll be streaming tonight.

Hmm, one piece body. No more LES I guess :(

I want to eventually revisit the KSO and it will get the same treatment as the Super 25, including welding the rear, cargo bay, and cockpit all into one. Part of that update I also want to improve the front window fascia as well as improve IVA visibility. But that won't be for a while.

Edited by helldiver

Uhm, where would you put the LES anyway's? There isn't really a launch escape system on the real shuttle, only various aborts involving either attempting to recover the orbiter or having the crew bailout. Space Shuttle abort modes

Just because the real life space shuttle had no such system is no reason That we have to constrain ourselves. (interestingly enough, the crew compartment of the Challenger survived the explosion of its EFT intact. Given the nature of its construction, it's not outside the bounds of possibility to have given the entire crew compartment a means of separating from the rest of the shuttle to act as an escape pod withs its own parachutes and braking rockets)

Uhm, where would you put the LES anyway's? There isn't really a launch escape system on the real shuttle, only various aborts involving either attempting to recover the orbiter or having the crew bailout. Space Shuttle abort modes

LES on my KSO Heavy attempt, added a decoupler to the pod CFG. The Heavy was more trouble than it was worth, but the LES works flawlessly, and completely automated thanks to SmartParts.

TnGxpGJ.png

e002eah.png

MlOmgVj.png

UCrsrzp.png

DZ9I6kP.png

1oMLO7h.png

I've read those shuttle abort modes before. The idea of rotating the entire stack (minus SRB's) 180* and trying to fly back is just ridiculous beyond Kerbalism.

Just because the real life space shuttle had no such system is no reason That we have to constrain ourselves. (interestingly enough, the crew compartment of the Challenger survived the explosion of its EFT intact. Given the nature of its construction, it's not outside the bounds of possibility to have given the entire crew compartment a means of separating from the rest of the shuttle to act as an escape pod withs its own parachutes and braking rockets)

NASA (very) briefly considered that idea after Challenger but dismissed it as too heavy and expensive. The dirty little secret of the Challenger incident is not only did the crew cabin remain intact through the breakup, the crew survived (switches on the control panel had been moved), and may even have been conscious when the impact with the water killed them.

Irony: None of the contingency procedures implemented after Challenger could actually have helped the Challenger.

Irony: None of the contingency procedures implemented after Challenger could actually have helped the Challenger.

Short of seeing the problem before it happened... I dont think there is much that could have helped Challenger...

Not building it that way in the first place would have....

I dont want to turn this into an argument about Challenger so Im going to leave that comment alone.

Edited by Avalon304

Short of seeing the problem before it happened... I dont think there is much that could have helped Challenger...

The problem was seen before it happened

Edit: concerns were raised about O seal integrity being compromised after a brutally cold night. Engineers were overruled by managers.

This is hardly a new problem either. The same thing happened over 20 years before when Apollo 1 astronauts complained about flammable space suits, hard to open hatches and other fire hazards that they asked to be fixed and never were, until after the fact of their deaths.

Columbia too was avoidable. Concerns had been raised about a possible debris strike during launch. Again, those in authority decided that there was no way to deal with related problems while in orbit so the matter wasnt pursued further.

Edited by Starwaster