[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Update

http://i.imgur.com/Q1d7W8E.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/isXLjCG.jpg

To Do

-Nosecone Flight control systems texture details.

-Any additional art support that may come up.

-All Unity/KSP integration (Nazari's end). First flights have already begun which returned some issues that have been solved but required some art assets.

-Interior

-Lift vehicle (possibly Energia inspired)

Optional

-If time permits, I will include the Airstair truck so your Kerbals can disembark from the KSO EWBCL

-KSO EWBCL does not have an airstair

Oh my... the Ascension looks great... I cant wait to fly her... do want.

Update

To Do

-All Unity/KSP integration (Nazari's end). First flights have already begun which returned some issues that have been solved but required some art assets.

-Interior

Optional

-If time permits, I will include the Airstair truck so your Kerbals can disembark from the KSO EWBCL

That's looking great. I look forward to seeing what you have in store for the interior. Great work helldiver and Nazari!

Update

To Do

-Interior

Optional

If you choose to do an Energia-like launch vehicle, you should seriously consider placing four attachment points on the bottom of the EFT. That would allow us to remove the engines from the Super 25 and place them under the EFT, like on the Buran-Energiya/Energia/Energya.

Hey people, I have a problem with my KSO.

When I get in the SmartAss section in the RPM, I have "Autopilot software not installed". But I have the last mechleb version and I've fixed the mechleb controler on my shuttle... Any idea?

Hey people, I have a problem with my KSO.

When I get in the SmartAss section in the RPM, I have "Autopilot software not installed". But I have the last mechleb version and I've fixed the mechleb controler on my shuttle... Any idea?

Are you using the latest version of Raster Prop Monitors? Might just need to update it.

Helldiver could you maybe make two different lifters? Like an Energia launcher and a regular shuttle stack? I like the energia but I'd rather have a shuttle style launcher. Like the look of the booster main fuel tank better.

You know, the only time Energia was used for a payload other then Buran, the payload was still mounted on the side of the vehicle. Personally, I'd prefer the STS style ET/SRBs, could you keep both options? Maybe include an version of the phase 1's ET/LRBs? Or maybe, take the best of both worlds and just make the ET with a swappable bottom. one with extra fuel and one with mounts for engines.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

If you do the Energia launcher can you make the cone detachable so that people can use it for regular launches?

Energia wasnt a normal stack. It was designed to have the payload hang off the side, just like the space shuttle lift system. Even the Polyus satellite was mounted on the side of the launcher, as was Buran the one time it was launched.

Energia wasnt a normal stack. It was designed to have the payload hang off the side, just like the space shuttle lift system. Even the Polyus satellite was mounted on the side of the launcher, as was Buran the one time it was launched.

Like this! Imagine getting recon photos of that stack during the cold war? "The Russians are planning on the Nuking the moon!!"

polyus.jpg

Edited by sp1989

Like this! Imagine getting recon photos of that stack during the cold war? "The Russians are planning on the Nuking the moon!!"

http://ninfinger.org/models/vault2004/polyus.jpg

Yep, just like that. Energia (atleast the version that carried Polyus and Buran) was also fully expendable. There were plans for a reusable version, but they never came to pass since the Energia system was cancelled.

EDIT: I do wonder how Energia-Buran dealt with the odd center of mass that a side mounted payload was give the entire stack, given that Buran didnt have any main engines like the Space Shuttle did.

Edited by Avalon304

interesting, obviously didn't know lol.

Now it would only be Energia style because the S25 had main engines so it would only look like the Energia.

Thank you.

I believe there was a misunderstanding. I'm not making Energia from Buran. To make the Energia boosters and design, would take too long for the amount of time I have available for this project. This project is already taking way too long as it is. Energia type boosters are also 4x more complicated to balance than the KSO Lifter 2 LRB+EFT design.

The design of the Super 25 lifter's boosters are inspired by Energia in looks only, but not in function.

I prefer not to split the lifter up into sub-components for the following reasons:

-If you want a lifter that comes in parts (cones, bottom end, mid section), download any number of awesome mods that provide that. Adding yet another EFT, SRB, LRB parts kit is a waste of my time.

-It makes it difficult for Nazari to balance properly since you end up with fuel in various sections all being used up in different ways complicating things significantly.

-We have enough complaints in this thread from people not even able to fly the stock KSO that comes in the download... the thread would fill with complaints about a multi-part LRB/EFT solution that doesn't function well for them.

-This project isn't designed to cater to advanced KSP users. I'm trying to target folks that want a shuttle that's easy to use and is an addition to gameplay content that doesn't become a chore on its own.

Hope that clarifies things.

Edited by helldiver

interesting, obviously didn't know lol.

In the best tradition of Soviet engineering, they conceived it as the lift system for Buran, but then said 'We should use this for ALL THE THINGS!' and so they did. And they made it completely expendable... I really do wonder how they dealt with the center of mass being off to one side like the space shuttle... I wonder if Energia's 4 main engines were gimbald like the SSMEs on the shuttle...

I like the external look of the Energia system but Im not a huge fan of the engine layout on the bottom. 4 LRBs with 4 exhaust nozzles each and then 4 main engines in the central stage... 20 engine nozzles on the bottom of that thing... very cluttered.

In the best tradition of Soviet engineering, they conceived it as the lift system for Buran, but then said 'We should use this for ALL THE THINGS!' and so they did. And they made it completely expendable... I really do wonder how they dealt with the center of mass being off to one side like the space shuttle... I wonder if Energia's 4 main engines were gimbald like the SSMEs on the shuttle...

I like the external look of the Energia system but Im not a huge fan of the engine layout on the bottom. 4 LRBs with 4 exhaust nozzles each and then 4 main engines in the central stage... 20 engine nozzles on the bottom of that thing... very cluttered.

There were plans for a reusable Energia rocket (completely reusable, not just partially). One of those were called Energiya-Uragan, which would make the four LRBs capable of flying back to launc site and land on a runway, and the same with the main stack - they'd simply stick modified Buran wings onto the Energiya.