[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Shiny!

So question: are the lifters interchangeable on the KSO and Super? I.e. shared mounting bracket - can I put the Super external tank onto the KSO and vice versa?

Shiny!

So question: are the lifters interchangeable on the KSO and Super? I.e. shared mounting bracket - can I put the Super external tank onto the KSO and vice versa?

Yes, technically.

However, the super 25 might clip into the lower mounting bracket of the standard KSO's EFT. Also, I'm not certain at this time, but the way the LRB's attach to the EFT on the S25 may be different than the surface attach method used in the original KSO.

Yes, technically.

However, the super 25 might clip into the lower mounting bracket of the standard KSO's EFT. Also, I'm not certain at this time, but the way the LRB's attach to the EFT on the S25 may be different than the surface attach method used in the original KSO.

Cool, thanks for the reply.

Someone said on the livestream chat yesterday that was so that you could add fuel lines and asparagus them if you wanted to. I think it'd be rather easy so swap out the propellant if you wanted to turn it into an SRB though.

Just out of curiosity, why did you decide to go with LFO boosters instead of true SRBs? I personally always swap out the LFO boosters for the ARM SRBs.

KSOS project will always use LRBs as opposed to SRBs. This is do to Center of Lift, and launch profile issues. LRBs allow Nazari to keep things simple for both himself in a configuration standpoint, keeps download footprint small do to the lack of needing special fuel plugins, and keeps things simple for end-users/players. Basically LRBs allow us to "plug and play" the shuttles included in the mod. :D

-Easier to balance TWR's

-Easier to adjust amounts and fuel efficiencies.

-Scalability with other mods (MechJeb)

-Easier to fix Center of Lift/Center of Mass issues.

-Are more precise in terms of maintaining the weight location during ascent.

SRBs work differently in terms of how their weight works. Nazari can chime in. I believe they tend to be nose heavy during the ascent instead of tail heavy?

SRBs also have an issue regarding thrust to weight, being significantly heavier for the amount of thrust they produce.

SRBs nozzle for a while couldn't be managed properly by thrust vectoring plugins. Although I believe Nazari said those are no longer issues since the latest plugins allow gimbaling of SRBs. Either way, I'd rather keep things simple. Aside from aesthetics or "just because" I haven't seen a need to make them true SRBs.

KSOS project will always use LRBs as opposed to SRBs. This is do to Center of Lift, and launch profile issues. LRBs allow Nazari to keep things simple for both himself in a configuration standpoint, keeps download footprint small do to the lack of needing special fuel plugins, and keeps things simple for end-users/players. Basically LRBs allow us to "plug and play" the shuttles included in the mod. :D

-Easier to balance TWR's

-Easier to adjust amounts and fuel efficiencies.

-Scalability with other mods (MechJeb)

-Easier to fix Center of Lift/Center of Mass issues.

-Are more precise in terms of maintaining the weight location during ascent.

SRBs work differently in terms of how their weight works. Nazari can chime in. I believe they tend to be nose heavy during the ascent instead of tail heavy?

SRBs also have an issue regarding thrust to weight, being significantly heavier for the amount of thrust they produce.

SRBs nozzle for a while couldn't be managed properly by thrust vectoring plugins. Although I believe Nazari said those are no longer issues since the latest plugins allow gimbaling of SRBs. Either way, I'd rather keep things simple. Aside from aesthetics or "just because" I haven't seen a need to make them true SRBs.

Fair enough. I was just curious. Swapping out the ARM SRBs works equally as well for me. I can still reach orbit very easily with that set up. So it's nice that they're mostly interchangeable, but it's also nice to learn your design philosophy on why you made that choice.

I made a variant of the KSO with the ARM boosters as well, I even rescaled bobcats nosecone down to fit the tops, it works great. Its nice being able to have alternatives and the craft still performs flawlessly great credit to Helldiver and Nazari here is a pic

VHHZAwu.jpg

N6SlGyo.jpg

Edited by Virtualgenius

Someone said on the livestream chat yesterday that was so that you could add fuel lines and asparagus them if you wanted to. I think it'd be rather easy so swap out the propellant if you wanted to turn it into an SRB though.

That was probably me Capt.Hunt. I use the KSO LFO boosters w/ the NASA parts to build an SLS-like lifter. I don't like the pencil-thin SRBs that come with the NASA pack - and I can cross feed from the LFOs to the main stage for asparagus staging.

I'll upload a pic later.

That was probably me Capt.Hunt. I use the KSO LFO boosters w/ the NASA parts to build an SLS-like lifter. I don't like the pencil-thin SRBs that come with the NASA pack - and I can cross feed from the LFOs to the main stage for asparagus staging.

I'll upload a pic later.

And a picture of the NASA + KSO LFO boosters. It's my go-to heavy lifter... asparagus staging w/ the LFOs.

gUR8EZ2.png

Sorry if this has been answered before, I saw some people had a similar issue but didn't see any resolutions in this thread. I'm unable to launch the game with the KSOS mod installed. I thought it might be a mod conflict so I created a clean KSP 0.23.5 directory and only added KSOS and it's dependencies. The game starts to load and then exits back to desktop. As an experiment I removed just the KSO folder from GameData keeping the dependancy mods and the game was able to load just fine.

I'm running Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit with 12GB of RAM (10 were free at launch) and 64 bit KSP so doubting it's a memory issue. Any help would be appreciated, this mod looks so awesome! Will try it out on Windows as well and see what happens.

Sorry if this has been answered before, I saw some people had a similar issue but didn't see any resolutions in this thread. I'm unable to launch the game with the KSOS mod installed. I thought it might be a mod conflict so I created a clean KSP 0.23.5 directory and only added KSOS and it's dependencies. The game starts to load and then exits back to desktop. As an experiment I removed just the KSO folder from GameData keeping the dependancy mods and the game was able to load just fine.

I'm running Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit with 12GB of RAM (10 were free at launch) and 64 bit KSP so doubting it's a memory issue. Any help would be appreciated, this mod looks so awesome! Will try it out on Windows as well and see what happens.

Far as I understand it, when that happens the game is running out of memory. Run active texture management.

And a picture of the NASA + KSO LFO boosters. It's my go-to heavy lifter... asparagus staging w/ the LFOs.

http://i.imgur.com/gUR8EZ2.png

I like that heavy lifter. It looks a lot like my XLS-330+ "Progress" Mun rocket. My rocket however uses the stock NASA SRBs, and only uses one pair of them.

Also I just found out today that you can turn off the trim on the KSO... Yeah my last flight with the KSO was way more pleasant than any previous flights now that I know that.

Far as I understand it, when that happens the game is running out of memory. Run active texture management.

Thanks, I ran a quick test using the 64-bit KSP client on linux:

• KSP clean install
  • Added KSO + depencies the game doesn't load properly.
  • Added Active texture management, game will load.

Originally I wanted to add this to my exsiting modded KSP but it looks like it can't even be run by itself? Is anyone else able to use this + other large mods like interstellar?

Thanks, I ran a quick test using the 64-bit KSP client on linux:

• KSP clean install
  • Added KSO + depencies the game doesn't load properly.
  • Added Active texture management, game will load.

Originally I wanted to add this to my exsiting modded KSP but it looks like it can't even be run by itself? Is anyone else able to use this + other large mods like interstellar?

Just run active texture management in your modded install. I have tons of mods installed and I can run the game ok (and Im on Windows...)

Just run active texture management in your modded install. I have tons of mods installed and I can run the game ok (and Im on Windows...)

Thanks again. I was but it failed prompting my original test and post. Must be a direct mod conflict somewhere I'll have to go through it all and see which one is causing the issue.