[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

How long has it been showing up? Since before version ~2.x.x of Module Manager? Or after?

I'm not sure. Once I get the KSO 25 done and we're testing, I'll run some tests to see.

Nope I haven't messed with anything. Any sure-fire way of fixing it?

The way I do it, is I just re-save my craft files after fixing the engines in the VAB. Seems you only have to do this once. Discard the stock craft files in the ships folders, and replace with the ones you saved (which should be in your saved games ships folder).

Um my game crashes randomly after installing the KSO. The only thing i changed was to add a KAS container module to the station tug, Im not running out of memory? any ideas?

Edit: it has happened twice and is leaving a weird buzzing sound as well which can only be fixed by resarting

Edit2: ksp started again and speakers still buzzing :(

Edited by montyben101

I'm not sure. Once I get the KSO 25 done and we're testing, I'll run some tests to see.

The way I do it, is I just re-save my craft files after fixing the engines in the VAB. Seems you only have to do this once. Discard the stock craft files in the ships folders, and replace with the ones you saved (which should be in your saved games ships folder).

Can you please please do your best to get mechjeb to work right with the super 25. Some of us really need it.

Can you please please do your best to get mechjeb to work right with the super 25. Some of us really need it.

To my knowledge, the only way to get mechjeb to work with the KSO, or anything with the COT offset from the COM, is for mechjeb itself to compensate, as it calculates thrust and steers burns based on the COM of the craft. Or at least, thats the way it worked when I dug through the source a month ago.

To my knowledge, the only way to get mechjeb to work with the KSO, or anything with the COT offset from the COM, is for mechjeb itself to compensate, as it calculates thrust and steers burns based on the COM of the craft. Or at least, thats the way it worked when I dug through the source a month ago.

I use mechjeb all the time and it works great for me. I do nothing special for lunch, but for when I'm in orbit here's what I've done special. I have taken an added a third OMS engine, on the connection node between the two full size engines and make sure they're trim is set to "0" . If it starts to spin in weird ways trying to chase the maneuver node at the end of a burn just let it, seems to work out in the end for me. I use docking autopilot, rendezvous autopilot, and even spaceplane guidance for landing, as well as everything in between.

Let me know if you need pictures illustrating what I'm doing with the engine placement.

As to whether to work with a super 25 I would think so they're designed pretty similar.

I hope this wasn't too long of a reply. :D

P.s. I can't wait for the super 25

It seems like a feature Mechjeb should have is a input that says "offset thrust direction by {x} degrees". Or have three, one for x, y and z.

A better feature would be Mechjeb setting up the nodes and allowing you to do all the work. But I suppose thats not a convo for this thread.

A better feature would be Mechjeb setting up the nodes and allowing you to do all the work. But I suppose thats not a convo for this thread.

In the maneuver planner, click create, rather than create and execute.

Okay question, as you've worked on the super 25 and are using many different mods with it. How does updates to each one effect the build? I know some mods don't effect the flight ability as much but like when they update the engines you used doesn't that throw all the settings out of wack?

Nice work on this mod, I`ve had alot of fun with it, but it eats up alot of my my memory and i want to try out some other mods. One thing i miss though, is the solar panels. Is there any way to install the solar panel parts from this pack, while leaving the rest out? I`ve been trying to copy over the parts from the folder, however my knowledge of modding is limited to a basic understanding of installing mods, and i can`t seem to get it right. If anyone can help me on this matter, i`ll name my space station after them ^^

I've found that it works better if you add a reaction wheel in the payload bay. I have had trouble with the rendezvous autopilot and spaceplane guidance, but everything else seems to work. Does that KSO mechjeb linked in the first post work any better? I downloaded it but I can't seem to get the part to load in the VAB.

I've found that it works better if you add a reaction wheel in the payload bay. I have had trouble with the rendezvous autopilot and spaceplane guidance, but everything else seems to work. Does that KSO mechjeb linked in the first post work any better? I downloaded it but I can't seem to get the part to load in the VAB.

No, there's nothing special about the KSO mechjeb unit. It has a PartModule in it named MechJebCore and that's all that's needed for MechJeb. It doesn't matter how MJ got onto a part, only that at least one part has it. (one whose long axis matches the root of the craft preferably). FYI Myself (and others) use config files that add MJ to every command pod / probe core so we don't have to bother with external parts. This is what I use and it works fine with KSO.

(requires Module Manager)

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebCore]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
name = MechJebCore
MechJebLocalSettings {
MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = flightControl }
MechJebModuleSmartASS { unlockTechs = flightControl }
MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleNodeEditor { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleTranslatron { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleWarpHelper { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleThrustWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
MechJebModuleRoverWindow { unlockTechs = fieldScience }
MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
}
}
}
@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[ProtractorModule]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
name = ProtractorModule
}
}

Um my game crashes randomly after installing the KSO. The only thing i changed was to add a KAS container module to the station tug, Im not running out of memory? any ideas?

Edit: it has happened twice and is leaving a weird buzzing sound as well which can only be fixed by resarting

Edit2: ksp started again and speakers still buzzing :(

That doesn't sound like a KSO issue to me. And there's not enough information available from what you said to advise you what mod it might be either; assuming it's mod related. You should look at your log file when that happens and look for errors. Maybe post in the general mod support area for help. (though memory related issue probably is the best guess here. Do you use the active texture management mod to reduce texture memory footprint?)

To find your log file:

• Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt
  • Mac OSX: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log Aka Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log
  • Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log
  • NOT ksp.log file. Especially not ever.

Edited by Starwaster

I looked there but absolutely nothing. It does go up to the time of the crash but nothing else. It's definitely not memory as the crash report says 60% memory in use

That's not a reliable indicator though, especially if it goes by total memory instead of memory available to KSP. Also, I don't believe that Mono is very good at managing memory. It has trouble in that area before memory use is actually at capacity and can cause memory related faults as it nears maximum memory use and not necessarily at the point that you are actually out of memory.

Nice work on this mod, I`ve had alot of fun with it, but it eats up alot of my my memory and i want to try out some other mods. One thing i miss though, is the solar panels. Is there any way to install the solar panel parts from this pack, while leaving the rest out? I`ve been trying to copy over the parts from the folder, however my knowledge of modding is limited to a basic understanding of installing mods, and i can`t seem to get it right. If anyone can help me on this matter, i`ll name my space station after them ^^

I wrote a little guide earlier in the thread for helping others pick and choose parts. Glancing at the cfg's for the panels it doesn't appear that they use firespitter for their animations so you can probably get them alone in your game with just the cfg's, models, and texture files.

Update

-I know I said I wouldn't put up any more previews until my testing streams. But I decided to post some progress shots since I know a few folks appreciate them.

Notes

-KSO S25 had the crew reduced to 6. This was because the 6 chairs in the crew deck looked too crowded/busy. So I reduced it to 4. Gives me space to fit more space junk in there.

-KSO S25 flight deck fashioned after 787. Uses touch screens.

-Has a simulated EICAS display

-Does not have analog gauges, but relies on RPM displays

-FMCs are the actual RPM screens. Additional screens are hardset/cardcoded to specific displays. S25 uses 4 "real" RPM screens as opposed to 6 like the standard KSO uses.

-Touchscreens

-Panel hood is really low, for improved visibility.

c9XWfNG.jpg

mfVGDcI.jpg

Update

-I know I said I wouldn't put up any more previews until my testing streams. But I decided to post some progress shots since I know a few folks appreciate them.

Notes

-KSO S25 had the crew reduced to 6. This was because the 6 chairs in the crew deck looked too crowded/busy. So I reduced it to 4. Gives me space to fit more space junk in there.

-FMCs are the actual RPM screens. Additional screens are hardset/cardcoded to specific displays. S25 uses 4 "real" RPM screens as opposed to 6 like the standard KSO uses.

-Touchscreens

http://i.imgur.com/c9XWfNG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mfVGDcI.jpg

Looks amazing!

Update

Notes

-Touchscreens

http://i.imgur.com/c9XWfNG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mfVGDcI.jpg

Thank you so much for the dev shots of the S25 cockpit and crew deck! They look amazing so far. Will you be implementing a HUD like on the original KSO?

Superb work as always, though I feel like the compartment labels are not kerbaly enough. Surely they wouldn't carry mundane things like "water" or "utilities" into orbit? More snacks and board games! And maybe compartments for junk, rubbish, refuse, and trash. But, seriously, *drool.*

Great work like always. I was wondering, could you put windows on the roof and looking at the cargobay (very useful for IVA only missions) ?

http://api.ning.com/files/y5QJXh00VZn8HWX6DoG7UTdbL6aBLSKCU5DnnxhBkYSGs03pWZcGnST-mnnsGlneDRGKs96ku0G9WvNdg0*GYNOtbpCvZkHP/i12_028388.jpg

Edited by SrFancyMustachio

Hey all, just wanted to give a huge thanks to helldiver and all involved for an awesome design! I'm having a blast with the ships, and am going to start a mission log based off of Jeb and companies exploits in their orbiters. I do use mechjeb for takeoff and plotting maneuvers, but am hands on with everything else. I follow a slightly different takeoff checklist though. My ascent profile has the turn starting at 1k, leveled off by 70k, shooting for an 80k orbit. By doing this, I can usually empty the EFT after apoapsis, and have well over 500 Dv to use for orbital operations. I've found that I'm in good enough shape to just use the OMS thrusters alone to circularize. On re-entry, let's just say the island runway is seeing a lot of use, I keep overshooting KSC. I'm getting better, although it might be because I'm deorbiting at 200k instead of 75-80k. Regardless, I'm getting the hang of it, I'm getting closer each landing.

A few things I was curious about though:

1. I'm having problems with my SST, I saw some of the twitchyness some people were complaining about, but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. Although I'm still not sure how it suddenly ended up sailing 2k away from my station, but I got it under control. No, my problem was that I couldn't get the pilot out after I was done maneuvering. My plan was to drop off the tug, EVA someone out of the orbiter, pilot the tug a bit, then get out and head back to the orbiter. But for some reason I can't get him to EVA, there's no picture to click an EVA button on. I am using Ship Manifest andConnected Living Spaces, so I'm not sure if one of them is causing problems.

2. On the Super25's, would the be big enough to fit say, a module from the Fustek Station Parts pack? I only ask because I really like this pieces, and am planning out a couple of stations the will be mixing the 1.25 and 2.5 sized parts together. Although, if your planning a series of larger modules yourself, I could always be swayed to tweak my designs. ;)

3. Are your docking ports proprietary, or will the work with other parts? I'm a fan of the Fustek IACBM's, but if your ports don't play well with them (or stock parts for that matter), that's no big deal, I'll just have to work up some adapters.

If any of these were answered previously, I apologize. I'm trying to backtrack through the posts, and I'm up to mid April right now. I just wanted to post before i was caught up to give some kudos! :)