[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Or..., you can use a robtic arm to deploy the part.

I've been doing that for a while and it's a great way building space stations.

While it not may be the fastest way, i kinda like it.

I wish I could find a robotic arm that fit in the KSO and had the same looks.

I wish I could find a robotic arm that fit in the KSO and had the same looks.

Here is a screenshot of someone who used a scaled down version of the buran arm for the KSO, it seems to fit.

QVkJ01El.jpg?1

Where can I find that? (Or even better something more like the CanadArm...)

It's part of the robotic arms pack, it has a canada arm too. But to fit the KSO you have to rescale it. The buran arm in the screenshot is 0.5 times the normal size.

I'm not sure if this works but if you use the Tweakscale mod you could add it to it and maybe that works for rescaling it.

Here is a download link.

http://www.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/220273-robotic-arms-pack

It's part of the robotic arms pack, it has a canada arm too. But to fit the KSO you have to rescale it. The buran arm in the screenshot is 0.5 times the normal size.

I'm not sure if this works but if you use the Tweakscale mod you could add it to it and maybe that works for rescaling it.

Here is a download link.

http://www.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/220273-robotic-arms-pack

Did you just add rescale factor of 0.5 to the arms config?

So I got some more time with Kerbal lately and.... here's something.

I've wanted to mess around with some of the different shuttle abort modes for awhile, but a couple of them wouldn't be that interesting to watch (how interesting can a 30minute video be?). Abort to Orbit (ATO), pretty dull. Return to Launch Site (RTLS), that's just an "unnatural act of physics." Transoceanic Abort Landing (TAL), that could be interesting.

So, there are a couple of reasons why I put my stations on inclined orbits. Principally it's because I find it much more interesting to launch and return from then equatorial orbits.... Also, -30degrees (120) is a rather special inclination on Kerbin. This inclination is easy to get to, passes over a couple of ... ahem... special kerbin features. And still offers an alternate landing site in case of aborts.

So here's a Video of the closest you can get to a Transoceanic Abort Landing (TAL) that you can get with KSP (If you aren't resorting to landing in the woods)... It's probably closer to Abort Once Around (AOA) or just a REALLY late TAL... but whatever.

Be warned... there may be a spoiler near the end. If you know what an anomaly is then don't worry about it.

I also rebuilt my KSO/Interstellar Station. Connected Living Spaces caught my eye.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Did you just add rescale factor of 0.5 to the arms config?

Yes, search for the line "specPower = 0.1" and add a new line underneath it with "rescaleFactor = 0.5" and save the file. Start the game and enjoy your perfectly sized Buran manipulator.

Edited by Lekke

The 65th of my STS KSO Shuttle Missions! STS 165 is the 21st flight of Rebellious. STS 165's objective is to deploy the Laythe Space Station Hydroponics Module! Jeb and the Rebels weren't happy about being phased out in favor of the KSO Super 25 EWBCL (now in testing!) and have permanently moved the mini shuttle program to Laythe!

@ helldiver and Nazari:

I just got done checking out the last past broadcast and was watching you dock some parts to your station. You were talking about lining up your station parts and it got me thinking about a thread I read a while ago about making docking ports that have multiple connection points. If I understand this post correctly: if you set up ports (like the one shown there) the port would have four points of contact (essentially four docking ports in one) instead of one (like stock) and would always align along those four points between compatible docking ports and would further prevent you from docking with the rotation off-kilter. I suppose if you add more points like 8 instead of just 4 you could dock at rotations of 45 degree increments (but that may be complicating it on small docking ports) instead of just at 90 degrees. But it would also mean the ports would more than likely not be stock compatible. I just thought you two might find it an interesting read.

Edited by qnistNAMEERF

RTLS aborts are quite possible with the KSO, *without* the external tank. I've done them several times (like when I put too many Separatrons on the boosters, which blew up the EFT - I reverted to VAB, but only after successfully aborting).

RTLS aborts are quite possible with the KSO, *without* the external tank. I've done them several times (like when I put too many Separatrons on the boosters, which blew up the EFT - I reverted to VAB, but only after successfully aborting).

have you tried an abort to island runway? those are fun

have you tried an abort to island runway? those are fun

Never on launch (my launch path has a fairly early gravity turn, so by the time LRBs separate, I'm quite a bit downrange and island abort isn't practical; RTLS is easier). I have used the island as an unplanned backup landing site when I overshoot the KSC (fairly often).

Absolutely, I was just quoting Astronaut Mike Mullane in reference to the maneuver.

Helldriver, how do the collision meshes for your models look like. I found that I was able to really reduce the performance hit of my models by using the simplest possible custom made collision meshes. Maybe this is an option to further boost the performance for these guys' space stations.

Using the main part as collider typically gives you a far too complex mesh.

Maybe you do this already. Just a thought.

Hey brother, always love to hear from you.

Collision meshes are their own thing. They are designed to be high resolution enough to be able to attach things to the KSOs without looking weird and at the same time look "flush" with the walls. One of the streams shows how these were done for the KSO Super 25 :D

I like the new picture of phase two. The one with the station that's missing a truss because I screwed up... Hey you still can't fire me.

You forgot the docking port. And you went to get a sandwich in the middle of an operation :D