[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Yea I made it work with the rockomax adapter, it still just doesnt look quite right,But Im just being picky I guess :P lolz
Wow ok then...I guess I didnt realize that I was being rude or that I was making you mad about it...

Making an adapter wouldn't be an issue. The problem is that, that texture has no more space. It's jammed packed already. Any additional accessories would have to have another texture. KSOS is already pushing people's stuff to the limit, I really don't think we should yet another texture sheet for something only a few people are asking for? What do you think?

Nazari has plans for stuff like that and may eventually fit parts like that in.

Yeah, I tried taking off with an empty KSO (infinite fuel) from the runway with your FAR config and it just doesn't seem to generate enough lift to keep itself airborne. The FAR config will undoubtedly require cheating to manufacture a wing area that generates suitable lift.

Is it supposed to be able to fly? The shuttle was a brick. It didn't fly; it fell with style. (to paraphrase Toy Story)

Is it supposed to be able to fly? The shuttle was a brick. It didn't fly; it fell with style. (to paraphrase Toy Story)

Well, true, it isn't supposed to fly like a conventional aircraft, but I would at least expect it to generate enough lift to keep it in the air. I actually don't know if it was able to do such a thing. I'd have to look up the shuttle's flight characteristics.

It fell slowly enough to land without shattering into a million pieces. This was crashing into the ocean at 300 m/s.

It fell slowly enough to land without shattering into a million pieces. This was crashing into the ocean at 300 m/s.

The Shuttle is not made for powered flight. It's a glider with rockets. That's all it can do is glide.

The Shuttle is not made for powered flight. It's a glider with rockets. That's all it can do is glide.

That's because of the FAR he used. Using stock aerodynamics, the shuttle can glide and even increase it's speed while pulling up at <60 m/s surface speed... You can, in theory and using stock aerodynamics, to reenter at any site and glide to KSC.

Edited by YNM

Well, true, it isn't supposed to fly like a conventional aircraft, but I would at least expect it to generate enough lift to keep it in the air. I actually don't know if it was able to do such a thing. I'd have to look up the shuttle's flight characteristics.

The late-stage glide slope of the RL shuttle was 20deg, which is pretty steep. I imagine a craft like that would have difficulty in level flight whatever power you gave it.

I just grabbed your FAR config from a few pages back. What's the deal with the wing nodes exactly? I think you'd said something about the lift but I'm not sure i understand how moving the nodes and model position around fixes that.

short explanation

edit your save file. find that docking port (s) and set its state to Ready

long answer, if you cant figure out how to do that I'll find the thread that tells you how to fix your ports but I'm on an ipad as I wait for reentry while I test the KSO25 and my heat shield config with RSS/FAR

Edit: and yes, its a known stock problem. more likely to occur with space station structures where you have lots of docking and undocking happening.

it helped, thanks.

I just grabbed your FAR config from a few pages back. What's the deal with the wing nodes exactly? I think you'd said something about the lift but I'm not sure i understand how moving the nodes and model position around fixes that.

FAR uses the center of an object to determine shielding/lift. The way the nodes are (or were at least when I cooked up a FAR config for the V1 KSO) it tricks FAR into believing the wing is inside the bay, which it then declares shielded by the cargo bay, which causes the wing to generate absolutely no lift. In short: it makes it literally fly like a brick. The node/model offset is to un-trick FAR.

FAR uses the center of an object to determine shielding/lift. The way the nodes are (or were at least when I cooked up a FAR config for the V1 KSO) it tricks FAR into believing the wing is inside the bay, which it then declares shielded by the cargo bay, which causes the wing to generate absolutely no lift. In short: it makes it literally fly like a brick. The node/model offset is to un-trick FAR.

I don't remember anything like that being done to the KSO FAR configs... wouldn't that have broken craft files?

Also why isn't the left wing affected? (or was it the right wing; I forget. I was playing around with FAR below and one wing had lift and the other didn't)

I don't remember anything like that being done to the KSO FAR configs... wouldn't that have broken craft files?

Also why isn't the left wing affected? (or was it the right wing; I forget. I was playing around with FAR below and one wing had lift and the other didn't)

That still puzzles me as well. Even with the node and the model offset, FAR isn't consistent about deciding if the wings are inside the cargo bay or not. I couldn't figure out why.

Just thought I would share... 8 large arrays and a power module from phase 2. Works pretty well at keeping that 2.5m Antimatter container and collector charged and running. There's enough charge and total capacity to last the dark side of kerbin, but i have a small reactor on board... just in case.

Now the station is patiently orbiting and collecting at the same time.

bHJ9XMu.png

That still puzzles me as well. Even with the node and the model offset, FAR isn't consistent about deciding if the wings are inside the cargo bay or not. I couldn't figure out why.

You know what would be cool is if there were an override property you could set on a FAR module (wing/controllable/etc) that says 'never shield'

Maybe there is one and we don't know it. Gonna check that out.

EDIT:

Just occurred to me that this could be why my KSO25 had so little drag. My BC was something like 40,000 at 54km altitude. I kept waiting for it to decelerate more and stuff started burning off. It was kind of frustrating because this was hours and hours of testing of my heat shield config that I'm working on and I even ended up tripling the values (because it was also RSS) and stuff still started burning off. I was left with just the fuselage coming up on 14 km altitude, still had rising heat problems and only decelerated to 3000 m/s. Now I see it, it was the dang wings being shielded.

So concerned about the lift, I forgot about the drag.

Edited by Starwaster

You know what would be cool is if there were an override property you could set on a FAR module (wing/controllable/etc) that says 'never shield'

Maybe there is one and we don't know it. Gonna check that out.

EDIT:

Just occurred to me that this could be why my KSO25 had so little drag. My BC was something like 40,000 at 54km altitude. I kept waiting for it to decelerate more and stuff started burning off. It was kind of frustrating because this was hours and hours of testing of my heat shield config that I'm working on and I even ended up tripling the values (because it was also RSS) and stuff still started burning off. I was left with just the fuselage coming up on 14 km altitude, still had rising heat problems and only decelerated to 3000 m/s. Now I see it, it was the dang wings being shielded.

So concerned about the lift, I forgot about the drag.

I have a similar problem to yours, minus RSS since I don't use it. Yeah, it doesn't create enough drag even angled up to slow itself through the atmosphere. I also get a strange bug where the fuselage survives an impact at several hundred m/s with the water.

Making an adapter wouldn't be an issue. The problem is that, that texture has no more space. It's jammed packed already. Any additional accessories would have to have another texture. KSOS is already pushing people's stuff to the limit, I really don't think we should yet another texture sheet for something only a few people are asking for? What do you think?

Nazari has plans for stuff like that and may eventually fit parts like that in.

Question do we need it textured, or just undercoated so to speak with the colour provided when the model is made?

Lifesaver! Thanks to you, the newly-renamed Britannia can finally do everything it needs to do!

No problem. Glad to hear it worked for you too.

Question do we need it textured, or just undercoated so to speak with the colour provided when the model is made?

Without a texture the part will be stark white without any sort of detail like this. It'll definitely stand out, unless of course you're running everything without textures.

Phase IV, Work in progress

-Fleshing out bugs and finishing features

We decided to take a field trip :D

Javascript is disabled. View full album

So Nazari and I were minding our own business working on our trucks. Nazari was running them around the airfield I suppose racing them... When this shows up:

Click to enlarge

tsfrjjC.jpg

Edited by helldiver

http://imgur.com/a/SRDPa

So Nazari and I were minding our own business working on our trucks. Nazari was running them around the airfield I suppose racing them... When this shows up:

Click to enlarge

http://i.imgur.com/d26N9rU.jpg

Haha sweet, now all we need is someone to make a Kerbal police uniform :D

http://imgur.com/a/SRDPa

Click to enlarge

http://i.imgur.com/d26N9rU.jpg

Haha, aw man the police cruiser is just icing on the cake with these trucks. That's awesome. The stairs look great with the Super 25.