[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

add CoMOffset = 0,-3,0 (on KSO25_Cabin)

caveat, will affect pitch trim. though interestingly, it looks like 14 degrees now than it was before. in the SPH anyway. not flight tested YET. almost was able to take off from runway so FAR glide ratio should improve. still testing

using your FAR config that puts it just forward of CoL where it belongs on most aircraft

That makes things much better. But you don't even want to know what it does to the RCS balancing...

Edit: here's the config with my latest tweaks.

http://pastebin.com/CEBK9CZD

It can get into the air from the runway, completely fueled up even. But RCS translating will be horribly broken.

Edited by ayana

That makes things much better. But you don't even want to know what it does to the RCS balancing...

Edit: here's the config with my latest tweaks.

http://pastebin.com/CEBK9CZD

It can get into the air from the runway, completely fueled up even. But RCS translating will be horribly broken.

Crap, I forgot about that. Do you use MechJeb? If so, turn on RCS Balancer. I didn't even notice there was a problem because I nearly always have it on. It automatically throttles back RCS based on distance from CoM. The further it is away, the less powerful it needs to be. (although, I've had problems with RCS for everything after build #256, even with properly balanced RCS so #256 is what I use)

Crap, I forgot about that. Do you use MechJeb? If so, turn on RCS Balancer. I didn't even notice there was a problem because I nearly always have it on. It automatically throttles back RCS based on distance from CoM. The further it is away, the less powerful it needs to be. (although, I've had problems with RCS for everything after build #256, even with properly balanced RCS so #256 is what I use)

The Super 25 has most of its RCS thrusters all built into the main body part. So they're all tied to the same throttle, basically. The game isn't clever enough for that. They're all one big RCS thruster as far as it can tell.

That's ok, it has enough separated in the other parts (rudders / nose) that it can throttle back the parts it needs. The game might not be that clever but MechJeb is.

It also occurs to me that we need a plugin to shift CoM (bound to action group)

You know, to simulate pumping resources or moving / ejecting ballast.

Surprised nobody's made one yet. I might have to....

That's ok, it has enough separated in the other parts (rudders / nose) that it can throttle back the parts it needs. The game might not be that clever but MechJeb is.

It also occurs to me that we need a plugin to shift CoM (bound to action group)

You know, to simulate pumping resources or moving / ejecting ballast.

Surprised nobody's made one yet. I might have to....

Better idea. What we need is invisible RCS thrusters to place on crafts to correct stuff like this without ruining the aesthetic.

Edit: Mechjeb didn't handle it too well either.

Edited by ayana

The 68th of my STS KSO Shuttle Missions! STS 168 is the 46th flight of Tenacious. STS 168's objective is to deploy the Laythe Space Station Kerbal Lab Module! Jeb and the Rebels weren't happy about being phased out in favor of the KSO Super 25 EWBCL (Scheduled to fly on STS 171!) and have permanently moved the mini shuttle program to Laythe!

The Laythe Space Station Construction Missions run STS 159-STS 170 and uses the Phase II KSO Station Parts!

Why do you fly into orbit with the ET? I know it gives you more fuel but look a bit weird

yeah, you clearly don't need all that fuel to lift off from laythe, so the ET is just dead weight, why not launch it partially fueled and jettison it prior to orbital insertion?

BTW, working with Mihara, I was able to solve the RPM issue, I suspect that the problem was that the version of RPM bundled with the KSO required newer versions of Scansat and Mechjeb then I had installed.

Thanks for the tip, but leaving the brightness as it is, means it looks more authentic.

EDIT: Additionally, Im just pushing the memory limit and Im afraid adding anything else will push me over it... Im alreayd gonna have to cut stuff to get the trucks when they are ready.

Edited by Avalon304

Here's another question... how the heck do you maintain a 40 deg pitch angle through max Q???? Maybe it's a problem with the FAR config or maybe it's FAR in general. How did the space shuttle do it? Or should I give up on making a KSO reentry perform like the space shuttle would?

I never get more than 20 degrees AOA in any kind of atmosphere below the upper wisps, and usually closer to 10 overall. That said, I don't play with 10x scale RSS, so you may be able to skip around in the upper atmosphere a bit better there. Playing Orbiter I know that's the proper reentry profile for a spaceplane, but KSP's aero model (even with FAR) is not conducive for that.

Why do you fly into orbit with the ET? I know it gives you more fuel but look a bit weird

The original plan was to transfer over the fuel into the station but it didn't go well in testing. I finally added deorbiting engines to the main tank on STS 169 (uploading now)

I'm having an issue with the mod,whenever I install it(its the only mod I am running),when a ship re-enters Kerbins atmosphere(dont know if it happens with other planets as well) it crashes 1km above the surface of the planet.Any ideas guys?Thank you in advance!

i had the same issue twice!

first it was the KAC autosave feature. after deactivating it, it worked fine.

the second time it was an outdated Mechjeb, producing some kind of out of memory crash.

I'm having an issue with the mod,whenever I install it(its the only mod I am running),when a ship re-enters Kerbins atmosphere(dont know if it happens with other planets as well) it crashes 1km above the surface of the planet.Any ideas guys?Thank you in advance!
So any idea on how to fix this?

It crashes? What's it? That's an unqualified pronoun right there. I could interpret that as the game crashes or the shuttle crashes and I would believe both. If the game crashes, you're likely exceeding the memory limit of the game. If it's the ship, you should try reinstalling the mod. Why it would crash 1km above the surface, I don't know why it would happen. Off the top of my head I could see it being overstress, but unless you're using FAR (which appears not to be the case) the shuttle wouldn't fly apart or burn up (although that would require the DREC mod).

The 69th of my STS KSO Shuttle Missions! STS 169 is the 24th flight of Rebellious. STS 169's objective is to deploy the Laythe Space Station Solar Truss #2! Jeb and the Rebels weren't happy about being phased out in favor of the KSO Super 25 EWBCL (Scheduled to fly on STS 171!) and have permanently moved the mini shuttle program to Laythe!

The Laythe Space Station Construction Missions run STS 159-STS 170 and uses the Phase II KSO Station Parts!