[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Question: Can the cars and trucks be made to support RPM 0.17's transparent windows? More generally, will the RPM in KSO be modified to support RPM 0.17 (or does it work already as-is?)

Question: Can the cars and trucks be made to support RPM 0.17's transparent windows? More generally, will the RPM in KSO be modified to support RPM 0.17 (or does it work already as-is?)

KSO uses the latest version of RPM

We really only use the plugin at this point as well as parts of the CFGs and the pages obviously. I update it all the time.

However if you want full RPM functionality (such as screens on stock pods) then download it normally and drag and drop everything as normal overwriting what the KSOS installs.

Phase IV will update KSOS (such as to the latest version of Firespitter).

The IRL Shuttle, when it was around, had an abort option called RTLS (Return to Launch Site) that would be used for Florida launches. Basically, the Shuttle, after SRB separation, would turn tail and burn back towards KSC for a landing ~25 minutes after launch. So I decided to take on the challenge.

A little while after normal flight and LRB separation, I flipped the orbiter 180 degrees, and burned until I was headed back to KSC.

8nypFhS.png

But an error during EFT separation (Nothing to do with KSO) resulted in...

dlLHTHR.gif

...until I splashed down near KSC

wyRO6WU.png

Trust me, I would have made it if I did not flip out during EFT separation. But I now see why so many Shuttle pilots were afraid of the RTLS abort option.

And finally, I managed a reentry down to a safe landing altitude and speed. Nowhere near the runway, but I'm working on that. Be very, very careful during reentry with FAR and you won't break off one or more wings.

Wait until you're subsonic for any quick maneuvering, or you'll regret it.

Edited by ayana

The IRL Shuttle, when it was around, had an abort option called RTLS (Return to Launch Site) that would be used for Florida launches. Basically, the Shuttle, after SRB separation, would turn tail and burn back towards KSC for a landing ~25 minutes after launch. So I decided to take on the challenge.

A little while after normal flight and LRB separation, I flipped the orbiter 180 degrees, and burned until I was headed back to KSC.

http://i.imgur.com/8nypFhS.png

But an error during EFT separation (Nothing to do with KSO) resulted in...

http://i.imgur.com/dlLHTHR.gif

...until I splashed down near KSC

http://i.imgur.com/wyRO6WU.png

Trust me, I would have made it if I did not flip out during EFT separation. But I now see why so many Shuttle pilots were afraid of the RTLS abort option.

You probably didn't burn long enough to drain the tank. They didn't just flip the orbiter around after SRB sep, the tricky part was they actually kept flying away for quite a while to drain the EFT, then once it's sufficiently drained, they'd flip the orbiter, and burn again to turn around. Once that was complete, they had a special maneuver to jettison the EFT so it wouldn't come back and hit them. I imagine that the RTLS would probably be easier in the KSO then the real shuttle, because you have a larger onboard fuel supply.

They didn't just flip the orbiter around after SRB sep, the tricky part was they actually kept flying away for quite a while to drain the EFT, then once it's sufficiently drained, they'd flip the orbiter, and burn again to turn around.

Well, the SSMEs got their fuel from the ET. The orbiter just simply turns around and burns until downrange velocity is killed and the orbiter is headed back to KSC, then it dumps the tank, regardless of the amount of fuel left.

The 70th of my STS KSO Shuttle Missions! STS 170 is the 25th flight of Rebellious. STS 170's objective is to deploy the Laythe Space Station Observation Module! Jeb and the Rebels weren't happy about being phased out in favor of the KSO Super 25 EWBCL (Scheduled to fly on STS 171!) and have permanently moved the mini shuttle program to Laythe!

The Laythe Space Station Construction Missions run STS 159-STS 170 and uses the Phase II KSO Station Parts!

Well, considering it's her first fly and that the gears didn't obey when I pressed "g" And most important that I made a full scale skygliding I consider this first flight as a success. Super 25 flight more or less like a brick but still fly :sticktongue:

Uo5pFKa.png

It's really surprising when managing a full IVA landing and BLAM! shuttle shaked like hell, explosion sounds and a bit of sideslip. clic onc "c" and... Super 25 wingless and on her belly. What the hell? Landing gear break down? And I saw the LG box so I understood. Like the guy say in Welcome to Zombieland, rule 2 doubletap!

By default does the KSO or Super 25 have enough fuel to make it to orbit? I've attempted multiple times with both launch vehicles but even in the VAB I'm seeing less than half of what's required to get to orbit (under 2000 dV for the KSO and 2200ish for the Super 25). Just curious how folks are getting these to orbit without editing configs.

The 70th of my STS KSO Shuttle Missions! STS 170 is the 25th flight of Rebellious. STS 170's objective is to deploy the Laythe Space Station Observation Module! Jeb and the Rebels weren't happy about being phased out in favor of the KSO Super 25 EWBCL (Scheduled to fly on STS 171!) and have permanently moved the mini shuttle program to Laythe!

The Laythe Space Station Construction Missions run STS 159-STS 170 and uses the Phase II KSO Station Parts!

I like it! Also, what mod did you use to reduce the ambient lighting? Could you tell me and put a link to it? Thanks in advance!

By default does the KSO or Super 25 have enough fuel to make it to orbit? I've attempted multiple times with both launch vehicles but even in the VAB I'm seeing less than half of what's required to get to orbit (under 2000 dV for the KSO and 2200ish for the Super 25). Just curious how folks are getting these to orbit without editing configs.

Yes, both the standard KSO and the Super 25 have enough fuel to make it to orbit with their stock configs and layouts. The standard KSO has a slim margin of error, but it is possible. The Super 25 on the other hand is more than capable of making it to orbit with plenty of fuel.

Just wanted to say what awesome sauce this mod is. It does a fantastic job of fitting right into the kerbal style, it works great and doesn't melt my computer when I run it. Thanks for taking the time to do it right.

I dont know why but I dont think thats reported accurately

Possibly due to fuel sharing between the LFBs, the EFT, and the shuttle itself. Every time I launched with it even with a full cargo hold of "spare" tanks they'd get sucked down along with the EFT. Mind you this is the craft files that come with the download. Will have to-reinstall at some point and see about separating out the fuel tanks with TAC's balancer so that there's a clear demarcation of Booster burnout. That's probably the main issue that I'm seeing; the boosters are on for entirely too long during the ascent with the base craft files.

Mod is great though, don't get me wrong; the models, textures, hell all of it shows a lot of love and effort went into it :D

Possibly due to fuel sharing between the LFBs, the EFT, and the shuttle itself. Every time I launched with it even with a full cargo hold of "spare" tanks they'd get sucked down along with the EFT. Mind you this is the craft files that come with the download. Will have to-reinstall at some point and see about separating out the fuel tanks with TAC's balancer so that there's a clear demarcation of Booster burnout. That's probably the main issue that I'm seeing; the boosters are on for entirely too long during the ascent with the base craft files.

Mod is great though, don't get me wrong; the models, textures, hell all of it shows a lot of love and effort went into it :D

The LRBs on both the standard KSO and Super 25 do NOT draw fuel from the EFT, shuttle, or payload. If you are loading fuel into the cargo bay its recommended that you disable crossfeed from it.

Also, please make sure you arent overloading the shuttle. The Super 25, as stock has a payload-to-orbit limit of less than 20 tons. The standard KSO is even less than that.

KSO uses the latest version of RPM

We really only use the plugin at this point as well as parts of the CFGs and the pages obviously. I update it all the time.

However if you want full RPM functionality (such as screens on stock pods) then download it normally and drag and drop everything as normal overwriting what the KSOS installs.

Phase IV will update KSOS (such as to the latest version of Firespitter).

OK, sweet (I'd been holding off on 0.17 until I knew KSO would work fine). What about the vehicles using transparent windows? With the KSO, it doesn't look weird, but it does seem weird to have a car windshield be opaque.