[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Well, the SSMEs got their fuel from the ET. The orbiter just simply turns around and burns until downrange velocity is killed and the orbiter is headed back to KSC, then it dumps the tank, regardless of the amount of fuel left.

Actually, from what I understand, they would try to drain it at least most of the way down prior to pitch over, otherwise the tank is too heavy and can hit the orbiter when jettisoned. Even so, they need to perform a special high-g maneuver when they do ditch it in order to get safely clear.

Somewhere there's a video someone made in Orbiter where they demonstrated the abort procedure.

Actually, from what I understand, they would try to drain it at least most of the way down prior to pitch over, otherwise the tank is too heavy and can hit the orbiter when jettisoned. Even so, they need to perform a special high-g maneuver when they do ditch it in order to get safely clear.

Somewhere there's a video someone made in Orbiter where they demonstrated the abort procedure.

Video

From tonight's stream:

JjiFDAP.jpg

:D

Version 3.09 is up

-Updated Firespitter.dll to latest version

-Flaps should provide additional lift when activated (default 5 key)

-Updates torque values on KSO 25 fuselage. The wrong cfg file was originally distributed which caused the spacecraft to under-torque, my sincere apologies to everyone.

Edited by helldiver

OK, sweet (I'd been holding off on 0.17 until I knew KSO would work fine). What about the vehicles using transparent windows? With the KSO, it doesn't look weird, but it does seem weird to have a car windshield be opaque.

All vehicles will be opaque. Because I want them to load from the SPH. If we made them translucent then you'd have to attach a pod to them, eva, and then get in them which is rather meh. Vehicles have IVAs and all as seen in the stream.

From tonight's stream:

http://i.imgur.com/JjiFDAP.jpg

:D

Version 3.09 is up

-Updated Firespitter.dll to latest version

-Flaps should provide additional lift when activated (default 5 key)

-Updates torque values on KSO 25 fuselage. The wrong cfg file was originally distributed which caused the spacecraft to under-torque, my sincere apologies to everyone.

Hey just noticed you released v309 and in the zip you placed the ksos_installer.bat file within the KSOS_V309 folder. I have not tested it in that location. I set it up to run next to that folder so it probably won't work there. I can modify it if you like if you'd rather it run from there or even see about making it run from anywhere. I'll dig into it. Just thought I'd let you know.

Phase IV feature list finalized

Partial image list:

ZWE7J35.jpg

Notes

-All parts KAS compatible where possible.

-All vehicles have IVAs, see below.

-Helicopter will be in parts: Fuselage, Main Rotor, Tail Rotor, Landing Skids. Landing Skids are separate allowing you to use your own wheels instead (not included). Kerbostar modeled after Eurocopter A-Star (AS-350 Écureuil). Otherwise helicopter will not be a parts kit. Conversely, helicopter in scale with Sedan more or less.

-Aerospace Rover will be a parts kit. Among them it will include additional fuel modules, science modules, lamps, KAS cargo containers, antennas and additional accessories themed/fitted to the rover

-Aerospace Rover scaled to the Sedan seen in pictures above. Has space for 2 Kerbals. Sorry, if you're looking for gigantic non-Kerbal rovers, don't look this way. Several mods already add that.

-Phase IV includes features such as: Texture switching (powered by Firespitter), Flags on all/most models, and mesh switching when needed in the VAB/SPH.

-Phase IV is very large (as large as Phase I and II combined), as such it will be its own download. Currently about 50mb compressed.

-PSD files for the Sedan and Firetruck will be made available shortly after release so you can make alternate cars or colors scheme designs.

Current IVAs

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Partial image list:

-snip-

I want that Sedan so bad!

This might be a strange question, but will it be possible to install phase 4 on its own? (I'm not familiar with the folder structures of the mod.)

This is because I am rather tight on RAM, but would really love some low part ground vehicles.

Partial image list:

http://i.imgur.com/ZWE7J35.jpg

Notes

-All parts KAS compatible where possible.

-All vehicles have IVAs, see below.

-Helicopter will be in parts: Fuselage, Main Rotor, Tail Rotor, Landing Skids. Landing Skids are separate allowing you to use your own wheels instead (not included). Kerbostar modeled after Eurocopter A-Star (AS-350 Écureuil). Otherwise helicopter will not be a parts kit. Conversely, helicopter in scale with Sedan more or less.

-Aerospace Rover will be a parts kit. Among them it will include additional fuel modules, science modules, lamps, KAS cargo containers, antennas and additional accessories themed/fitted to the rover

-Aerospace Rover scaled to the Sedan seen in pictures above. Has space for 2 Kerbals. Sorry, if you're looking for gigantic non-Kerbal rovers, don't look this way. Several mods already add that.

-Phase IV includes features such as: Texture switching (powered by Firespitter), Flags on all/most models, and mesh switching when needed in the VAB/SPH.

-Phase IV is very large (as large as Phase I and II combined), as such it will be its own download. Currently about 50mb compressed.

-PSD files for the Sedan and Firetruck will be made available shortly after release so you can make alternate cars or colors scheme designs.

Current IVAs

http://imgur.com/a/r9Hw8

A helicopter? Nice! I'm very excited for the new phase.

ram shouldnt be an issue after .24 if your on windows we get a 64 bit exe to use

If you're on 64bit Windows, that is (and actually have, or can afford, more than 4GB of RAM). Remember that the 64bit isn't the panaceum for the memory problems, it would fix those issues only for those with the proper hardware to benefit from this. If you're still on 32bit, you're out of luck. That said, RAM is cheap if you do have a 64bit system.

Just launched the mini KSO to work alongside my CSS. God it looks nice... amazing work. Also if you install the agressive version of active texture management and dont want it to make the KSO look horrible then go into the boulder co config and delete the KSO file!

Keep getting a malicious software warning when downloading 3.09, will try again later...

Yea it is because there is a .bat file in there I think is for the install mod some one is working on, to get around it, if you use chrome is to go to your settings and turn off the phishing filter then download and re enable the filter. If you use a different search engine I don't know if you will have to do all that or not.

Keep getting a malicious software warning when downloading 3.09, will try again later...

It's the script included in the download for those that want individual phases. It just copies files. You can read the actual script (.bat file) in this post. Or once you get it downloaded, you can just edit the .bat file to read it, or even delete it if you don't need it.

I like it! Also, what mod did you use to reduce the ambient lighting? Could you tell me and put a link to it? Thanks in advance!

I am not sure which mod it is, but it is either the Environmental visual enhancements mod with the Astronomer's pack or it is the distant objects enhancements mod.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55905-0-23-5-7-3-EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-NEW%21-VolumetricClouds%21

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/69907-0-23-Distant-Object-Enhancement-v1-3-Planets-satellites-in-the-night-sky!-(3-3)

It's an effect gotten from putting an atmosphere layer on a Planet in EVE. There is a mod that does reduce ambient lighting on Kerbal Stuff though.

Finished STS-4 today:

http://imgur.com/a/A0GuS

I need to find an alternative to imgur.... they only show the most recent 225 images on the account...

Does anybody have tutorial on how to make custom names for the shuttle? I'll probably put my own name on the Super 25 when I know how. Your station also reminded me I need to put a docking module on mine. I have mostly just been getting the shuttle to within a few hundred meters, undocking the payload, and sending the SST out to get it.

Does anybody have tutorial on how to make custom names for the shuttle? I'll probably put my own name on the Super 25 when I know how. Your station also reminded me I need to put a docking module on mine. I have mostly just been getting the shuttle to within a few hundred meters, undocking the payload, and sending the SST out to get it.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/68429-0-23-5-Kerbin-Shuttle-Orbiter-System-v3-09?p=1191571&viewfull=1#post1191571

Im having an issue modding the KSO, basically all I am trying to do is to replace the KSO booster effects with the effects from the Super 25. From what I understand, it should be possible to tell KSP to use the new effects with the older parts, but I cant get it to work.

I have tried copying over the EFFECTS block from the super 25 booster and overwriting the same block in the older booster, however when I try to fly the KSO after this, the booster flames dont show, only the smoke effects. The code for running the effect seems to use the same names (powersmoke and powerflame etc), but still, nada...

Has anyone tried to do this and got it to work? Its most likely something small that Im missing but I cannot see it.

Thanks in advance.