[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

So is anyone else seeing the behavior with the Mun rover, where if you unfocus from it, when you return to it, its wheels have sunk into the ground, and if you get in it, it launches itself into the air? Its harmless on Kerbin, but on Minmus it might not be.

http://i.imgur.com/ioyvkkS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/g79R2rg.jpg

Wheels are upside down.

Wheels are upside down.

So how are we supposed to attach the damned things then?!? I've seen things on here that say 'arrows up, because on launch the wheels will invert themselves and the arrows will (correctly) be pointed down', and then others who say 'no no, the arrows should be pointed down in the editor, that's the only way they'll work.' Well, I've tried both ways, and the wheels sink into the ground/runway no matter what, so the rover and its wheels are essentially useless for me! :(

Here's an idea, Helldiver: Design the parts so that it's more obvious which way is the correct orientation so people stop having this problem! Also, while you're at it, how about some actual, you know, suspension? Or maybe even stop using LANDING GEAR code for the steering and use actual WHEEL code for WHEELS? Just a thought. Lo-Fi seems to have a pretty good handle on this stuff, maybe consult with him?

Yes, this is a critical post, because I have criticisms for certain aspects of this mod. And yes, I'm taking a sarcastic (some might say 'snarky') tone with some of my comments, because that's just how I chose to do it this time. No, it doesn't mean that I hate Helldiver or Nazari or anyone else who've worked very hard on this mostly fantastic mod. :) But the creators of this mod obviously have much more skill designing spaceplanes and related rocketry hardware than they do at designing rover wheels, and that's why I'm choosing to comment on it. This is my opinion. If you disagree, fantastic, more power to you!

Anyway, again, I wanted to give my opinion on a few things.

Otherwise, keep up the great work on the shuttle-related stuff, and hopefully consider some of the things I've said that are not as positive to be intended as constructive criticism.

So how are we supposed to attach the damned things then?!? I've seen things on here that say 'arrows up, because on launch the wheels will invert themselves and the arrows will (correctly) be pointed down', and then others who say 'no no, the arrows should be pointed down in the editor, that's the only way they'll work.' Well, I've tried both ways, and the wheels sink into the ground/runway no matter what, so the rover and its wheels are essentially useless for me! :(

Here's an idea, Helldiver: Design the parts so that it's more obvious which way is the correct orientation so people stop having this problem! Also, while you're at it, how about some actual, you know, suspension? Or maybe even stop using LANDING GEAR code for the steering and use actual WHEEL code for WHEELS? Just a thought. Lo-Fi seems to have a pretty good handle on this stuff, maybe consult with him?

Yes, this is a critical post, because I have criticisms for certain aspects of this mod. And yes, I'm taking a sarcastic (some might say 'snarky') tone with some of my comments, because that's just how I chose to do it this time. No, it doesn't mean that I hate Helldiver or Nazari or anyone else who've worked very hard on this mostly fantastic mod. :) But the creators of this mod obviously have much more skill designing spaceplanes and related rocketry hardware than they do at designing rover wheels, and that's why I'm choosing to comment on it. This is my opinion. If you disagree, fantastic, more power to you!

Anyway, again, I wanted to give my opinion on a few things.

Otherwise, keep up the great work on the shuttle-related stuff, and hopefully consider some of the things I've said that are not as positive to be intended as constructive criticism.

I agree with you, I think having the wheels start out wrongly oriented is not user-friendly, But I think I heard somewhere the rover wheels are bugged right now, as in they don't work at all. I've experienced the very same problem you're describing, but all the other wheels work fine.

Wheels are upside down.

I don't think so, if I attach them any other way they sink through the ground and stay there. as they are in my screenshots, they work I can drive around, its just if I leave them and go outside of physics range they sink into the ground, but then pop out and are perfectly useable.

Helldiver, Nazari, this may seem like a pointless apology, but I'm sorry, I can only use Phase 3 and the Tug from KSOS. I hit the memory wall, and tried switching to x64. It was insanely unstable so now I have to switch back. I had to drop Phases 1 and 4 as they were my least used KSOS parts, and I'll now be able to play in x86 without hitting the memory wall.

I'm apologizing because you put so much work into the mod and I feel bad completely ignoring over 500MB of goodness.

Helldiver, Nazari, this may seem like a pointless apology, but I'm sorry, I can only use Phase 3 and the Tug from KSOS. I hit the memory wall, and tried switching to x64. It was insanely unstable so now I have to switch back. I had to drop Phases 1 and 4 as they were my least used KSOS parts, and I'll now be able to play in x86 without hitting the memory wall.

I'm apologizing because you put so much work into the mod and I feel bad completely ignoring over 500MB of goodness.

depending what other mods you use, try ATM and texturereplacer, the OpenGl variant and maybe reduce the textures in the config. At the moment i run 38 mods including KSO, all Roverdude Mods, RT2, Robotics and other smaller mods and reach 2.5GB of RAM on a machine with 4GB in total.

And still it looks quite good.

I would like to start my Kerbal forum posting career by saying thanks for such an incredible mod, keep up the great work!

Due to the memory problem I was having trouble using the large shuttle and the space station mods together, so had to choose one or the other. I was wanting to find out if its possible to use specific parts from the space station pack alongside the shuttle mod. I found that the Docking ports from the mod seem to work a lot better than the default kerbal ones when attaching them to the shuttle cargo bay?

Any info or help on this would be much appreciated

Thanks, Alan.

I should have done a more thorough search of the forum, I found a list of items I can remove!

Edited by AlMacTavish
Ignorance.

I would like to start my Kerbal forum posting career by saying thanks for such an incredible mod, keep up the great work!

Due to the memory problem I was having trouble using the large shuttle and the space station mods together, so had to choose one or the other. I was wanting to find out if its possible to use specific parts from the space station pack alongside the shuttle mod. I found that the Docking ports from the mod seem to work a lot better than the default kerbal ones when attaching them to the shuttle cargo bay?

Any info or help on this would be much appreciated

Thanks, Alan.

I should have done a more thorough search of the forum, I found a list of items I can remove!

I assume you already found what you're looking for, but for the sake of any one else interested you can find a list of parts here if you're interested in separating parts yourself. The windows installer also has this capability if you go that route.

Can anyone point me to the page with the KSO25 FAR config?

EDIT: I see FAR parameters in the .cfg of the wings,surface and tail rudder. Would un-// them out make this FAR friendly?

Edited by Woodstar

^ I also would like to know this - the one popular pastebin config file previously posted in this thread has been removed. As it stands it seems FAR doesn't read the Super25's cargo bay as being aerodynamically shielded which makes flying this otherwise beautiful craft a chore.

I assume you already found what you're looking for, but for the sake of any one else interested you can find a list of parts here if you're interested in separating parts yourself. The windows installer also has this capability if you go that route.

Yeah, I found a parts list and removed them manually, thanks for taking the time to get back to me.

EDIT: I see FAR parameters in the .cfg of the wings,surface and tail rudder. Would un-// them out make this FAR friendly?

I just tested this, and well, it seems as if that config was commented out for a reason as it made the shuttle fly even worse for me.

It seems that KSO Station internal Laptop prop does not allow to have steerable cameras, like the one bundled with ALCOR capsule. If this is correct, is it possible to edit cfg file to add pitch and yaw buttons for cameras?

Thanks a lot!

I just tested this, and well, it seems as if that config was commented out for a reason as it made the shuttle fly even worse for me.

Well crap, looks like it's a page by page search, I know it wasn't an official patch but someone wrote one and posted it in this thread will edit with link.

EDIT:

If anyone wants to try their luck landing this thing with FAR, here's a config file I put together. It's not perfect, but it should work.

http://pastebin.com/wUMiWKLT

Looks like he deleted it, I pm'd him about if he finished it or not.

Edited by Woodstar

The problem I keep having, is once I put a KSO part (space station tug, for example) on my ship, when I go to launch, the staging UI disappears and I can no longer stage/launch the vehicle. Also, the g-meter goes crazy and the roll/pitch/yaw markers go back and forth over their axis.

The problem I keep having, is once I put a KSO part (space station tug, for example) on my ship, when I go to launch, the staging UI disappears and I can no longer stage/launch the vehicle. Also, the g-meter goes crazy and the roll/pitch/yaw markers go back and forth over their axis.

I've experienced similar issues in the past. For me, the problem was I was using a part who's IVA I had deleted, but the part was still calling that IVA as I hadn't changed the part's cfg. It seems that KSP doesn't like a part calling out to an IVA that doesn't exist and that causes issues like the ones you described. Not sure if this is your exact issue but it's probably worth taking a look at. Try reinstalling the kso pack and see if that helps.