[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

I've looked for the following bug report on the few last pages, but found nothing. My apologies if this is already a well-known bug and I'm re-reporting it. :)

From the KOS mod, I'm only using a single part: The OA-850 Liquid Fuel Booster (boosterkso.cfg). With that, I've installed the boosterkso.mu file, the "kerbin_lifter(...)" TGAs and the entire FX folder.

Even though, I'm experiencing no FXs coming out from the booster's exhaust. There's no flame coming out of it, nor the exhaust becomes red as it gets hot.

I've also tried installing the whole KSO folder in a fresh .90 copy, got the same problem.

I know this mod hasn't been officially updated to .90 yet, but is anyone else going through this?

Thank you, and happy holidays! :)

0.90 does have more parts and textures, so if you were just under the limit before, the new content may be enough to push your memory usage over the edge.

I assure you, I'm not running on some borderline rig that can only run stock KSP with all the settings at minimum or it pukes. :) Hell, I just rebuilt it a few months back, so it's bleeding edge! Not that that matters, thanks to 32 bit architecture, just trying to say I'm not trying run KSP and KSOS on half a gig of mem. If I hadn't had the entire KSOS package running fun with dozens of other parts heavy mods in .25, I'd jump on the memory issue bandwagon...but it doesn't make sense that after an update now I can't even get KSOS to work by itself. Nothing has changed in KSOS, and Squad hasn't added so many parts to push my memory limit. As stated, this only happens when I try to install the parts for the shuttles, I can add 30 unrelated mods (MKS and everything else put out by roverdude included, which adds an extreme amount of parts), along with the two packs from KSOS, vehicles and stations, and it doesn't even hiccup. Heck, with the new ATG it loads much quicker than in .25. If I try to run the KSOS shuttle packs it CTDs about 10 seconds in. That makes me think I'm running into a different conflict.

Welcome to the strange and wonderful world of C#, this output is likely spat out too late in a catch all situation (I do not know my way around C#, Mono or Unity3D but have been subjected to that error in the past).

Even though total memory on a 32 bit address space has to access your game data (in physical mem) and graphics data (in your graphics card), just running this mod without ATM and any other mods (Including Smokescreen, Klockheed_Martian, JSI and Firespitter) should run fine by providing the parts with no additional functions (eg, leave out the requirements and you will still get the parts without any functions/effects).

Adding ATM into the mix is a great thing to do - but can also run into problems (which I doubt you are running into) - that is the conversion of one graphic type into another not only requires CPU time - but more importantly, memory... and lots of it ...the initial ATM conversion can eat up ALL your memory processing a single image before it moves on to the next.

If you are willing to continue testing and wanting to try and catch the cause, make a brand new folder for KSP containing ony the default stock Squad and NASAmission folders - Then add just the KSOS folders you require... IGNORE all the other folders... and then start KSP.

If all goes well (sandbox), you should have some parts with no additional functions.

From there, add the required mods one by one... not from the KSOS zip - but from the original latest sources (e.g. mentioned above is Firespitter and Klockheed replacements).

*Note that things are in limbo during the 0.25 to 0.90 transition and some mods have patches mentioned later in their forum threads (JSI rasterprop is a good example but can safely be excluded from installation in this state should problems occur).

Once you have manually added KSOS to the stock 'vanilla' game and added the other mods by searching the relevant places in the forum, you should be able to push it through ATM and save memory when you add other mods.

Yeah I know it's a bit cruddy with some 'relied on' mods being up in the air for 0.90 - but until the holiday season settles a little, the only way to keep your KSP addiction alive is to go step by step prioritising your mods and re-testing after every install (at this point i say 'CKAN is a bloomin fantastic idea... more mod devs need to be on there).

Anyways, long post... i hope i may have helped somewhat into pointing some direction... hope everyone is having good holidays!

Define "then add just the KSOS folders you require"? I don't require any, I just want them all ;) Hahah. Are you talking about removing everything but the parts?

I normally do a lot of testing before I post "CDT ERMAHGERD HALP!" without just cause. I'm more than willing to spend time figuring it out. Previous versions of KSP I was able to figure out what part was causing the issue (it would hang while trying to load something), or figure out what was conflicting with what. To be honest, I can't say I can recall actually running into the out of memory issue in the past...all my crashes were related to conflicts (which is pretty rare) and outdated or broken mods. I did prioritize the mods the first time around, that's how I came to the conclusion it was KSOS causing the trouble, and even down to the fact that it was the shuttle bundles.

I'm currently only using mods stated to be updated to .90, not trying to use anything that's outdated...and I'm only trying to use KSOS because others say it should be working fine. I tend to restart every new update anyway. :) The speed at which it dumps me back to the desktop and the fact that I have no issues with other mods causing out of memory issues is pointing to something else...and hopefully something that can be fixed! I'll try running with just KSOS again and see what happens, and shuffle through the folders to see if I can narrow it down.

The full KSOS system (that is Phases 1-4) require ATM to run, even with no other mods installed (at least this has been my experience, and yes, this includes all dependencies. Never leave them out.).

I've ran it fine in the past without ATM, just to see what it looked like without compressed textures. I don't think I had anything else added though, just stock ksp and KSOS. It might have been before they added phase 4, cars and trucks, so maybe that pushes it over the edge?

Edited by Vladthemad

Alright, after many many attempts, I was able to get it to load to the main menu. It appears to have been either something with the JSI (raster prop monitor) folder, or smokescreen folder. Both only contain DLLs and I had removed them both at the time it worked. Also, I've updated the firespitter plugin (I had done this previously, but it bears mentioning).

I've found updates to both the raster prop monitor and smokescreen dlls, and installed them. About to start sticking rockets together to see what happens. For anyone interested:

RPM dlls hotfix: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/57603-0-25-RasterPropMonitor-putting-the-A-in-your-IVA-%28v0-18-3%29-8-Oct?p=1610931&viewfull=1#post1610931

Smokescreen: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/71630-0-90-SmokeScreen-2-5-3-Extended-FX-plugin-%28Dec-12%29

Edit: Tested a big shuttle off the runway and it took off without incident. My attempt to belly land it into the ocean on the other hand had an incident or six. I double checked the folders again, and saw I had also removed the BoulderCo files, and that's all stuff for ATM configuration isn't it? Reinstalling to test. Sure enough crashes. *facepalm* Was there a post somewhere I missed saying I needed to remove that? :/ Testing a complete reinstall to see if that was it...

Edit 2: Did a fresh install, just to make sure, as during testing I was using the separate packs. With the full install, replaced the firespitter, JSI, MoudleManager, and SmokeScreen files with the updates. Deleted the BoulderCo folder, installed ATM. Starts up just fine now. No clue as to why, it was all trial and error. If it matters I can run more tests, but I need to know what I should be looking for ;)

Edited by Vladthemad

Anyone know why these textures aren't displaying? Everything else in the pack seem to display correctly.

Edit: I made sure the textures were in the correct place and used hex edit to double check the file names, all is correct.

EDIT 2: I re-saved the textures using GIMP, that fixed the problem.

NUxhOzY.png

Edited by Eskandare
additional

2 problems I've found on .90 is landing gear don't work and the cabin lights don't work either but everything else works great

How are you attempting to turn on the cabin lights? As for the gear they should be working just fine.

I'm just right clicking the command module and their is no option and for the gear I've tried right clicking and the G on the key board and their is not option to close them I'm thinking it maybe be firespitter becaus one of my other command modules for an other mod won't give me the option to open/ close the main door Any advise is appreciated (:

Have you updated Firespitter for .90? If not, do so.

As for the cabin lights, they can only be turned on from inside the IVA, by clicking on a button. There is no option for right clicking the command modules to turn on the cabin lights. I do not currently have pictures of the location of these switches for each orbiter, but I believe that in both cases, for both orbiters, the cabin light switch is on the upper instrument cluster above the pilots (or co-pilots) head and are clearly marked as cabin lights.

Have you updated Firespitter for .90? If not, do so.

As for the cabin lights, they can only be turned on from inside the IVA, by clicking on a button. There is no option for right clicking the command modules to turn on the cabin lights. I do not currently have pictures of the location of these switches for each orbiter, but I believe that in both cases, for both orbiters, the cabin light switch is on the upper instrument cluster above the pilots (or co-pilots) head and are clearly marked as cabin lights.

thanks for the respond I'll have to try for the capon lights but for the landing gear I did upgrade firespitter to .90 maybe I did the wrong one can you pm me a link?

thanks for the respond I'll have to try for the capon lights but for the landing gear I did upgrade firespitter to .90 maybe I did the wrong one can you pm me a link?

This is the .90 DLL for Firespitter: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24551-Firespitter-propeller-plane-and-helicopter-parts-v6-3-5-%28Sep-1st%29-for-KSP-0-24-2?p=1603900&viewfull=1#post1603900

I can confirm that the gear works (although the nose gear for both orbiters are buggy in that its deploy animation is skipped completely, but they retract properly), the main gear for both the KSO and Super 25 deploy and retract properly.

I have indeed noticed that the nose gear on both the KSO and Super-25 are very flaky, under otherwise stable conditions in 0.25. In my case, they never stayed retracted through reloads in the VAB/SPH and in-flight, lemme tell you how annoying that was.

I have also found out that removing the landing light on the nose gear in the CFG appears to make the nose gear work properly, though I'm not sure if this is a fix that will work for everyone or not.

I hate to be that guy and bump my own post, but I'd like to know if is someone else also not seeing the boost FX coming out of the OA-850 Liquid Fuel Booster's exhaust, or is it just me? Thank you. :)

http://i.imgur.com/2BWIKcK.jpg

Make sure Smokescreen is installed (it should be if you installed the KSOS properly). If it is, try updating it to the latest version.

I have indeed noticed that the nose gear on both the KSO and Super-25 are very flaky, under otherwise stable conditions in 0.25. In my case, they never stayed retracted through reloads in the VAB/SPH and in-flight, lemme tell you how annoying that was.

I have also found out that removing the landing light on the nose gear in the CFG appears to make the nose gear work properly, though I'm not sure if this is a fix that will work for everyone or not.

I'll give it a go. I'd much prefer a smooth deploy over a landing light :wink:

I can confirm that the gear works (although the nose gear for both orbiters are buggy in that its deploy animation is skipped completely, but they retract properly), the main gear for both the KSO and Super 25 deploy and retract properly.

And your running .90 on the 32bit version?