[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Just quick question. Jhe engines for the mod do not work for me. it wont let me connect them to anything. any help?

They dont work in what version of KSP? If they arent working in version 1.0+ then we know and we are currently working on updating the mod to function properly in version 1.0+ (most likely 1.0.2+). They should otherwise work in version .90 of KSP.

Not to be a totally noob, but how do I edit the part?

- - - Updated - - -

ok thank you im running the most current version of KSP. Glad to know they are working on update this mod.Would love to fly the shuttle!!!!

Unfortunately for a good lot of us, the ram costs for this great shuttle Mod is to high. Would like to see the DL numbers rise, but that's going to take a switch to .DDS format. I remember when Helldiver started working on the first shuttle Model, he was so concerned about everyone liking them :cool:. They were the best "kerbol" visions for a shuttle then, and still are.... very Kerbol Esque. Then you add the tug system.... slam you got a great team. To bad the Ram cost between the two packages totals more than 1/2 of my Mod allowance ;.;

Unfortunately for a good lot of us, the ram costs for this great shuttle Mod is to high. Would like to see the DL numbers rise, but that's going to take a switch to .DDS format. I remember when Helldiver started working on the first shuttle Model, he was so concerned about everyone liking them :cool:. They were the best "kerbol" visions for a shuttle then, and still are.... very Kerbol Esque. Then you add the tug system.... slam you got a great team. To bad the Ram cost between the two packages totals more than 1/2 of my Mod allowance ;.;

Install ATM. I have Phases 1-3 installed with several other mods, and I can run just fine.

Agreed a switch to DDS textures would make this mod essential. There is almost no need for any other part pack with this. Station parts, boosters, engines, of course shuttle parts, cars, helicopter parts, lights, docking ports. I mean this mod covers all the bases and does so beautifully and functionally. So a ram reduction could make this mod essential for a lot of players, and I know a lot of players don't download this (myself unfortunately included) because of how big it is, my computer just can't handle it. Believe me I have tried. So part of the update it seems that a texture switch would be vitally important.

Agreed a switch to DDS textures would make this mod essential. There is almost no need for any other part pack with this. Station parts, boosters, engines, of course shuttle parts, cars, helicopter parts, lights, docking ports. I mean this mod covers all the bases and does so beautifully and functionally. So a ram reduction could make this mod essential for a lot of players, and I know a lot of players don't download this (myself unfortunately included) because of how big it is, my computer just can't handle it. Believe me I have tried. So part of the update it seems that a texture switch would be vitally important.

Also agreed, When this mod is updated it's going right back on my game. IMPO it is the best shuttle mod on the forums.

Install ATM. I have Phases 1-3 installed with several other mods, and I can run just fine.

I have.

In my past save though, KSO was by far the largest mod in terms of size. 600 MB is not feasible, even with ATM aggressive. I'd take RAM space over high graphics any day, so I would welcome a "light" version of the mod.

I have.

In my past save though, KSO was by far the largest mod in terms of size. 600 MB is not feasible, even with ATM aggressive. I'd take RAM space over high graphics any day, so I would welcome a "light" version of the mod.

My gamedata folder for .90 is 3GB in size. I run ATM Aggressive, Full Res textures and I force OpenGL usage. And I only ever get a crash because Nvidia's openGL drivers arent the best. And again I run the first 3 phases of the KSOS in addition all my other mods.

~~~~

Anyway, I ran DDS4KSP (which Im sure you can find here on the forums) and converted the KSOS textures to DDS, and I noticed great memory savings. ~1100MB used in OpenGL, ~1400MB used in DX11 and ~2500MB used in DX9. And there were no major issues with the textures. All appeared correct on their models. Please understand however, that these numbers are from my dedicted KSOS 1.0.2 test install, there is nothing installed other than KSOS and ATM (and ATM does not mess with DDS textures). I will be reporting this to helldiver and naz as well.

I have a KSP 0.90 install that the only game files i have in it is a few stock squad parts and all phases of this mod. All the rest have been removed as KSOS Has all that I need. For example ALL the large engines and tanks are removed, a large portion of the wings, and all. I can not recall what all was removed due to not using that special KSOS Ksp version in a while/

My gamedata folder for .90 is 3GB in size. I run ATM Aggressive, Full Res textures and I force OpenGL usage. And I only ever get a crash because Nvidia's openGL drivers arent the best. And again I run the first 3 phases of the KSOS in addition all my other mods.

~~~~

Anyway, I ran DDS4KSP (which Im sure you can find here on the forums) and converted the KSOS textures to DDS, and I noticed great memory savings. ~1100MB used in OpenGL, ~1400MB used in DX11 and ~2500MB used in DX9. And there were no major issues with the textures. All appeared correct on their models. Please understand however, that these numbers are from my dedicted KSOS 1.0.2 test install, there is nothing installed other than KSOS and ATM (and ATM does not mess with DDS textures). I will be reporting this to helldiver and naz as well.

Thats excellent news! Consideration is all that I ask for. Good luck and thank you for all your work.

For the Tug and the chubby shuttle pack it comes to 409mb's. As much as I appreciate someone telling me to run ATM, I have been playing since .13 and loving every minute of it, until it became a game of musical chairs just to get the mods I NEED, not want but need. 409mb for the two packs is appalling. I sound like I'm being a bit of a jerk, not the way I want people to think of me. Helldiver should know by now, how much I love the great job and his personnel skills. But its time to trim this baby down so everyone can put it back in the "Mandatory" list of mods. If this was cut down by 2/3rds I wouldn't play KSP without it ever again.

Pack #2 = 194mb

Pack #3 = 214mb

Just for a Shuttle and Tug packs = 408mb

Kosmos = 294mb

KW = 233mb

Nova = 172mb

FASA = 223mb

For the Tug and the chubby shuttle pack it comes to 409mb's. As much as I appreciate someone telling me to run ATM, I have been playing since .13 and loving every minute of it, until it became a game of musical chairs just to get the mods I NEED, not want but need. 409mb for the two packs is appalling. I sound like I'm being a bit of a jerk, not the way I want people to think of me. Helldiver should know by now, how much I love the great job and his personnel skills. But its time to trim this baby down so everyone can put it back in the "Mandatory" list of mods. If this was cut down by 2/3rds I wouldn't play KSP without it ever again.

Pack #2 = 194mb

Pack #3 = 214mb

Just for a Shuttle and Tug packs = 408mb

Kosmos = 294mb

KW = 233mb

Nova = 172mb

FASA = 223mb

There are multiple ways you can reduce memory usage. You can run in DX11 or OpenGL. You can also turn the texture res down in KSP's settings. All in addition to running ATM aggressive.

But more over... each of the Phases of the Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System are practically self contained mod packs in themselves. There is nothing to trim down within those packs, and in fact each of the phases by themselves dont actually use that many textures. And some of the phases (mainly the shuttles) share a few textures. And adding two phases together and then comparing them to a single mod pack is a bit disingenuous.

Also... do you use those 4 packs you listed? They all seem to add the same thing to the game...

People have asked for low res textures before, or for stuff to be 'trimmed down'. And from what I can remember, helldiver shot them down then too. Its (probably) not gonna happen.

It's pretty unanimous that something needs to be done. Everyone is well aware that mod makers do not get paid and share their mods out of the kindness of their hearts. A lot of time and effort has been spent to create this mod. That being said it is unanimous that something needs to be done about the size of these wonderful parts. I can only speak for myself but I have a Mac. I have been playing ksp for 3 years and on these forums for nearly two. Each subsequent release has reduced the breathing room in my gamedata folder everytime. Having a Mac my computer automatically runs OpenGL but the gains are immediately lost but the Mac memory leaks that squad has failed to address in each subsequent release. There are also people who standard pcs and laptops who love mods like this and just can't use them because they game freezes, fps drops, and game crashes. That's with the textures looking like crap and anti aliasing turned off and aggressive ATM making the game look grainy. To me there is an aesthetic I won't sacrifice and that might be to my own fault but I don't see the point of making beautful parts look like crap and the game look like crap just to use parts. That all being said a switch to DDS textures has proven very effective in trimming down fat mods and making them playable again. I needed to be very selective about the mods I put into my gamedata folder now that FASA has DDS textures I can start putting more mods in my gamedata folder. I think people who say "it works fine for me" are being unproductive. Especially if they neglect to mention theyight have a Frankenstein gaming computer or just simply a computer that isn't a stock PC. So again I am fully aware that you guys could pull support tomorrow and just enjoy it all yourselves. So if you choose not to make a change then I will totally understand. Once again good luck.

I never have a problem with this mod's size and I run without ATM. How you ask? I created a dual boot system and run Linux-64 bit when I want to play KSP IT'S NOT THAT HARD (AND IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!) - Pun intended.

Consider it...

I never have a problem with this mod's size and I run without ATM. How you ask? I created a dual boot system and run Linux-64 bit when I want to play KSP IT'S NOT THAT HARD (AND IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!) - Pun intended.

Consider it...

I think people who say "it works fine for me" are being unproductive. Especially if they neglect to mention they might have a Frankenstein gaming computer or just simply a computer that isn't a stock PC.

I just want to play KSP man. I am sure there are ways to make every mod ever made to run smoothly but come on some people just want to play. You want me to create a dual boot system and run it on a linux 64 bit system just to play ksp? Im sorry and I am not trying to sound contemptuous but saying it works for me just isn't productive. Because I am assuming that yes there are alot of players who gaming computers and modified pcs to mod ksp unrecognizably. But there is larger portion of average players who want mods like this for fun but cant use it in tis full glory because it memory prohibitive.

I just want to play KSP man. I am sure there are ways to make every mod ever made to run smoothly but come on some people just want to play. You want me to create a dual boot system and run it on a linux 64 bit system just to play ksp? Im sorry and I am not trying to sound contemptuous but saying it works for me just isn't productive. Because I am assuming that yes there are alot of players who gaming computers and modified pcs to mod ksp unrecognizably. But there is larger portion of average players who want mods like this for fun but cant use it in tis full glory because it memory prohibitive.

I don't want you to DO anything but consider options, so chill. Just because you don't want to consider it, doesn't make it unproductive. With all of the new players nowadays, some, who had not thought about dual booting, and who aren't intimidated by the thought of using a different OS will find my suggestion VERY PRODUCTIVE.

Im sorry and I am not trying to sound contemptuous but saying it works for me just isn't productive.

What would be more productive other than the mod maker downsampling his textures (something you can do yourself). This person has essentially found a solution and tested it for you.

What kind of solution are you looking for?

I don't want you to DO anything but consider options, so chill. Just because you don't want to consider it, doesn't make it unproductive. With all of the new players nowadays, some, who had not thought about dual booting, and who aren't intimidated by the thought of using a different OS will find my suggestion VERY PRODUCTIVE.

As I said I wasn't trying to sound contemptuous or angry. I am simple person who just wants to play KSP. I am knowledgable enough to put mods in the game and thats it. I am not doubting there are ways complicated or simple to make everything work. I was simply trying to say that there are quite a few players on here who are unwilling and incapable of trying the methods that you described. I have seen it far too often on these forums, a person says "hey my game is crashing" or "this doesn't work for me", or "this mod is just too big for my memory needs", then someone undoubtedly will say, "it works just fine for me I don't know why its not working for you." So your solution might seem simple however to some people it might seem daunting and unhelpful because its a solution that might seem unrealistic. Yes I know that sounds lazy, and "if you don't want to try and get it to work by using a simple......" yea I get it. Im sorry if I sound or am sounding like a indignant child. I swear its not my intention. Please dont read it as such.

- - - Updated - - -

What would be more productive other than the mod maker downsampling his textures (something you can do yourself). This person has essentially found a solution and tested it for you.

What kind of solution are you looking for?

I asked that they CONSIDER a conversion to DDS textures to make the this mod memory friendly for all. The makers have said numerous times that ATM is a requirement. If a texture compression mod is required, why not just compress the textures and save people alot of space and memory? Again I am fully aware that they dont have to listen to me. I feel I have emphasized this plenty of times. I know they don't have to do it. I am simply suggesting it and I think it could benefit everyone.

With dds textures & opengl you should not have much of a problem running ksp. My .90 install with dds textures and ddsloader was running 78 mods and I had memory to spare. Never had a crash. ATM is nice and I have used it in the past but my .90 install would run out of ram using ATM instead of ddsloader. This KSO mod is very detailed with very nice detailed interiors with high res textures. As mentioned above convert the textures to dds and resize them if you want. Or the dual boot with linux option. I do that also. There really isn't any other options.

Edit: using DDS4KSP you can convert all the textures yourself very easily. I used it for everything since .90 and it works great.

As mentioned above convert the textures to dds and resize them if you want. Or the dual boot with linux option. I do that also. There really isn't any other options.

Thats what I mean. You said that there really isn't any other way. Why is that? Wouldn't a texture conversion make sense for everyone, and no one would have to jumps through loops to get it to work flawlessly? I know that the solution is easy I 100% get that. But it doesn't address the problem. I am going to shut up now because I hate spamming threads, its not nice.

I think the textures will be converted to dds in the next update. I remember seeing that mentioned above somewhere. If not, DDS4KSP is very quick and easy.

Ok guys, lets take a step back and cool off. We're working on it.

I think the textures will be converted to dds in the next update. I remember seeing that mentioned above somewhere. If not, DDS4KSP is very quick and easy.

Options are being discussed. I can tell you that the memory savings just from swapping to DDS textures are not as huge as you might believe. 300-400MB at most. That being said, IF we do wind up converting textures to DDS it wont be every texture in the mod, as RPM seems to dislike using DDS textures for some of the screens we have on the KSO. (mainly the important ones like the ADI and the HUD in the windscreen, so yea).

Im trying to keep everyone in the loop here, but please understand, I make zero decisions on what should be done with the mod, and can only answer vaguely and based on past experiences with similar questions.

The memory savings just from swapping to DDS textures are not as huge as you might believe. 300-400MB at most.

400MB for a 32bits game is really really huge!

Since with a x32 build the game can't use more than 4GB (or maybee less like 3.5GB,I don't remember exactly...),400MB in comparison is great.

Using 400MB less would make my game run without any out of memory...

I've been putting together a new version with Avalon's help and I plan to have it ready for the weekend. The new aero seems to work ok, and the reentry on both shuttles is working just fine. Yes, it uses DDS! I will have to take another look at everything tomorrow.