[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

I've been noticing some heatbuildup during launch. I know the real shuttle had radiators built into the payload bay doors to deal with heat from the launch, how feasible would it be to make the KSO and Super25's payload bay doors act like radiators when opened?

The shuttle needs some work to properly function in 1.0. It doesn't fly as well, but at least it flies. However, here are some bigger issues to focus on fixing:

1. The shuttle needs ModuleAblator on its parts, to stop from overheating in re-entry (and even launch!)

2. The shuttle needs to use ModuleCargoBay to keep its payload shielded.

And a few things about Phase IV:

1. The KAS-compatable parts need to be converted to KIS.

2. Why is the max temp of the vehicles so much higher than the max temp of the KSO?

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

The shuttle needs some work to properly function in 1.0. It doesn't fly as well, but at least it flies. However, here are some bigger issues to focus on fixing:

1. The shuttle needs ModuleAblator on its parts, to stop from overheating in re-entry (and even launch!)

2. The shuttle needs to use ModuleCargoBay to keep its payload shielded.

And a few things about Phase IV:

1. The KAS-compatable parts need to be converted to KIS.

2. Why is the max temp of the vehicles so much higher than the max temp of the KSO?

These are good things to know. Though I do find that the Super 25 actually flies better now than it did in 1.0.

You have either:

A. Installed the mod incorrectly

or

B. Have a conflict with another mod.

These are good things to know. Though I do find that the Super 25 actually flies better now than it did in 1.0.

Near the ground, it flies quite well (when it's low on fuel). But re-entering, I've had mine tumbling out of control. While it is land-able, I have a sneaking suspicion that the real Space Shuttle doesn't like to tumble around like this.

I was going to try editing the configs to add ModuleAblator and ModuleCargoBay, but :confused:.

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

Near the ground, it flies quite well (when it's low on fuel). But re-entering, I've had mine tumbling out of control. While it is land-able, I have a sneaking suspicion that the real Space Shuttle doesn't like to tumble around like this.

I was going to try editing the configs to add ModuleAblator and ModuleCargoBay, but :confused:.

What shuttle are we talking about here? I flew the Super 25 up to orbit and back down (with entry heating turned up to 100%) and on reentry it flew fine with full fuel, and didnt explode with no ablator. Additionally, I added a cargo bay module... and noticed no change in either the flight characteristics or heating characteristics.

What shuttle are we talking about here? I flew the Super 25 up to orbit and back down (with entry heating turned up to 100%) and on reentry it flew fine with full fuel, and didnt explode with no ablator. Additionally, I added a cargo bay module... and noticed no change in either the flight characteristics or heating characteristics.

The Super 25. To be fair, I flew mine on a 52° incline (to my ISS-analogue), which may (?) cause more time or velocity in re-entry. It's when I tried to make sharp turns to try to fly back to the runway that it tumbles for a little bit. Maybe that's just pilot error.

It doesn't tend to explode on re-entry, but the parts are dangerously close to overheating (especially the rudders). Did ModuleCargoBay help with parts inside the shuttle bay on re-entry? That's mainly where I've been having the issues with things exploding.

EDIT: I found this github post by Sumghai about stopping ModuleAblator from darkening the heat shields and other useful information. I hope it helps!

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

The Super 25. To be fair, I flew mine on a 52° incline (to my ISS-analogue), which may (?) cause more time or velocity in re-entry. It's when I tried to make sharp turns to try to fly back to the runway that it tumbles for a little bit. Maybe that's just pilot error.

It doesn't tend to explode on re-entry, but the parts are dangerously close to overheating (especially the rudders). Did ModuleCargoBay help with parts inside the shuttle bay on re-entry? That's mainly where I've been having the issues with things exploding.

EDIT: I found this github post by Sumghai about stopping ModuleAblator from darkening the heat shields and other useful information. I hope it helps!

I noticed parts in the cargo bay were still heating, though nowhere near max temperature. Perhaps Ive just implemented the cargobay module wrong... but it seems to do nothing. As for ablator its easy enough to add... but it gets consumed by any heat... including sep motor generated heat.

I noticed parts in the cargo bay were still heating, though nowhere near max temperature. Perhaps Ive just implemented the cargobay module wrong... but it seems to do nothing. As for ablator its easy enough to add... but it gets consumed by any heat... including sep motor generated heat.

ModuleCargoBay may be a bit of a problem, considering that the cargo bay is in the same part as the command module and a bunch of things. I'd suggest adding it to the small KSO to test it. And also, it may require using the stock animation modules.

As for Ablator, and that problem, that seems good to me. It will help protect the orbiter from sep motors too.

Here's some screenshots:

2e088bf944.png

This is heat from an ascent.

af19a88a44.png

I took this just as I started to re-enter, but the parts had the same heat they'd gotten on ascent. Later, the KSO spontaneusly exploded. And it's done that on ascent for me before too.

(I noticed another concern. Why is the KSO so weak? It has 5m/s crash tolerance. The stock Mk3 cockpit has a crash tolerance of 60m/s.)

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

Here's what I came up with for updating the cargo bays, though I haven't flown it very much yet so it may need some further tweaking. It does remove FSanimateGeneric in favor of stock animation, but I believe the only advantage was being able to open the cargo bay doors in the VAB, which stock supports.

@PART[cgholdkso]:FIRST
{
!MODULE[FSanimateGeneric] { }
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
animationName = Take001
startEventGUIName = Open Cargo Bay
endEventGUIName = Close Cargo Bay
actionGUIName = Toggle Cargo Bay Doors
allowManualControl = true
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleCargoBay
DeployModuleIndex = 5
closedPosition = 0
lookupRadius = 1.8
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleSeeThroughObject
transformName = fuselage_cargo_door_left
shaderName = KSP/Bumped Specular (Transparent)
screenRadius = 1.0
leadModuleIndex = 5
leadModuleTgtValue = 0
}
MODULE
{
transformName = fuselage_cargo_door_right
screenRadius = 1.0
leadModuleIndex = 5
leadModuleTgtValue = 0
}
}

@PART[KSO25_Cabin]:FIRST
{
@dragModelType = none
!MODULE[FSanimateGeneric]:HAS[#animationName[Take003]] { } // Removes module index 3
!MODULE[FSanimateGeneric]:HAS[#animationName[Take002]] { } // Removes module index 3
MODULE // Becomes module index 10
{
animationName = Take003
startEventGUIName = Open Cargo Bay Doors
endEventGUIName = Close Cargo Bay Doors
toggleActionName = Toggle Cargo Doors
}
MODULE // Becomes module index 11
{
animationName = Take002
startEventGUIName = Open Docking Port Doors
endEventGUIName = Close Docking Port Doors
toggleActionName = Toggle Docking Doors
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleCargoBay
DeployModuleIndex = 10
closedPosition = 0
lookupCenter = 0.0, -2.90912, 0.0
lookupRadius = 2.75
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleCargoBay
DeployModuleIndex = 11
closedPosition = 0
lookupCenter = 0.0, 0.4896, -1.1682
lookupRadius = 1.1
}
MODULE
{
transformName = KSO_25_Cargo_Bay_Doors_Anim_Root
screenRadius = 1.7
leadModuleIndex = 10
leadModuleTgtValue = 0
}
MODULE
{
transformName = KSO_25_Mun_Door_Anim_Root
screenRadius = 1.0
leadModuleIndex = 11
leadModuleTgtValue = 0
}
}

This also makes the cargo bay (and docking bay) doors transparent on mouseover, when they're closed and in the VAB/SPH. In any case, this will needed pasted in to a .cfg file somewhere in GameData and requires Module Manager.

Disclaimer: Do with this patch as you will, but at your own risk. Please do not ask the KSOS team for support involving this patch.

The animations were all switched to stock at one point, but I guess it messed up the landing gear animations for some since they were exported for use with firespitter. They were switched back to firespitter in another update. Check the changelog.

The animations were all switched to stock at one point, but I guess it messed up the landing gear animations for some since they were exported for use with firespitter. They were switched back to firespitter in another update. Check the changelog.

We may have done that at one point... but the Super 25 at least is still using FSanimategeneric for its docking port and cargobay.

Yes, they're all switched back to the firespitter animation modules. When sp+ was rolled into ksp i recommended we adopt the stock animation module since firespitter was looking more and more abandoned back then, so we did, but like i said it messed up the animations for some folk and people started complaining in the thread so we switched them back.

Yes, they're all switched back to the firespitter animation modules. When sp+ was rolled into ksp i recommended we adopt the stock animation module since firespitter was looking more and more abandoned back then, so we did, but like i said it messed up the animations for some folk and people started complaining in the thread so we switched them back.

I thought you meant just the landing gear... either way, did a test flight with the above patch (launched up to about 400km and reentered with out circularizing), the cargobay is shielding its cargo (atleast the cargo doesnt generate drag when its closed). And the Super 25 atleast still doesnt explode on reentry, nor does its cargo) even going really really fast... (I think I saw 2000m/s). I'll forward it on to Naz.

What Id really like to figure out now, is if the gear can only generate drag when deployed, as they currently generate drag even while up. Could it be as simple as making them cargobays?

What Id really like to figure out now, is if the gear can only generate drag when deployed, as they currently generate drag even while up. Could it be as simple as making them cargobays?

Unfortunately, I don't think this can work currently. ModuleCargoBay relies on a "deploy module" to determine when parts are shielded or not. (The stock ModuleAnimateGeneric is, of course, but Firespitter's FSwheel (and FSanimateGeneric) are not. It would require a code change to Firespitter to support the necessary plumbing code to allow ModuleCargoBay to work with it.

I don't believe the stock ModuleLandingGear can do everything FSwheel can as far as complex wheel setups - IIRC the EWBCL main gear, especially, gave the team some trouble even with FSwheel's features.

I don't believe the stock ModuleLandingGear can do everything FSwheel can as far as complex wheel setups - IIRC the EWBCL main gear, especially, gave the team some trouble even with FSwheel's features.

I dont remember having any issues with the EWCL gear (other than it popping through the wing on especially hard landings), and there was the time where we switched to stock anims, that Freeman pointed out above. But it was awhile ago, so Im not discounting the possibility.

I dont remember having any issues with the EWCL gear (other than it popping through the wing on especially hard landings), and there was the time where we switched to stock anims, that Freeman pointed out above. But it was awhile ago, so Im not discounting the possibility.

I think it'd be better to just forego FS completely, eventually, and switch to the stock configs, if possible.

I think it'd be better to just forego FS completely, eventually, and switch to the stock configs, if possible.

Even if er were to do that for the animations there are other things that rely on firespitter.

All of you creators do so purely by the sweat and blood.

I hate to necro this post, but you know what this implies right? Blood and sweat refers to fighting in a war, or at the very least, suffering to a great degree. I realize your goal is to pat the creator on his pee pee but this is one of those cases of extreme hyperbole that needs to die a swift and painful death. No blood was shed over this mod. None. Zilch. You can just say thank you for your hard work and time. I think we're all fine if Nazari doesn't shed any blood in the name of this mod.

I hate to necro this post, but you know what this implies right? Blood and sweat refers to fighting in a war, or at the very least, suffering to a great degree. I realize your goal is to pat the creator on his pee pee but this is one of those cases of extreme hyperbole that needs to die a swift and painful death. No blood was shed over this mod. None. Zilch. You can just say thank you for your hard work and time. I think we're all fine if Nazari doesn't shed any blood in the name of this mod.

Hyomoto, please don't over dramatize this, it is a turn of phrase.

Now you will excuse me, as I have a paper cut and need a shower after my run.