[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

okay Firespitter is now in folder No idea how Tweakablestging and Todacius tools was packaged and km_gimbal is now in folder

*Image*

Just to clarify:

km_Gimbal should be in:

\GameData\Klockheed_Martian_Gimbal\Plugins

Firespitter should be in:

\GameData\Firespitter\Plugins

(additionally there are other files needed for Firespitter)

and ToadicusTools should be in:

\GameData\ToadicusTools

Just to clarify:

km_Gimbal should be in:

\GameData\Klockheed_Martian_Gimbal\Plugins

Firespitter should be in:

\GameData\Firespitter\Plugins

(additionally there are other files needed for Firespitter)

and ToadicusTools should be in:

\GameData\ToadicusTools

I did all this and still no FX...:(

okay umm... this breaks the VAB snd SPH and all other buildings...and still no FX on my testing platform,

I might just do a clean install and see how it goes from there...

That link was for version 1.0.2 of KSP. If you are currently using version .90 of KSP you should use the links in the OP of this topic. Otherwise, yes, it would be best to cleanly install KSP and install your mods again.

That link was for version 1.0.2 of KSP. If you are currently using version .90 of KSP you should use the links in the OP of this topic. Otherwise, yes, it would be best to cleanly install KSP and install your mods again.
YA finally working! so here is a pic that I took after testing. no sound but that is an issuse with my system itself...

dose it fly good with far? is there a way to fix it if not

If youre playing on KSP .90 with the proper version of FAR for .90 then you can find FAR patches for both shuttles here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entries/1770-FAR-NEAR-DRE-etc-Support-for-KSOS-by-helldiver

Keep in mind we can not provide official support for these patches.

If you are playing in KSP 1.0.2 with nuFAR, then no. KSOS does not support nuFAR. Im not even sure where to begin with nuFAR support.

~~~~

Also guys, I did speak with helldiver briefly. He is currently busy with his other project (I wish I could tell you about it, it looks amazing), but when that is in a good position, there will be more work done on the KSOS (also stuff I wish I could talk about).

Ok, it took a while but I've found out why texture switching hasn't been working properly on my KSOs. It turns out Norton AntiVirus has been eating .dlls from KSP mods and I've been missing the warning messages. So now I've solved a bunch of these little errors that have been cropping up.

Norton flagged these .dlls as WS.Reputation.1, if I recall correctly, that means that not enough Norton users have used the file in question, so Norton doesn't know if it can be trusted and quarantines it.

I posted on Norton's forum to ask if there's a way to exclude the entire KSP folder so it doesn't happen again.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

Except for the overzealous filter it's worked well for me for years.

The biggest change I noticed that effects the KSO is the new heat model. I suspect we'll need to add ablator to he shuttle parts. Reentry heating in 1.0.3 is much more intense and longer lasting then before. I've lost four orbiters so far and am experimenting with different reentry profiles (thank god for quicksave). I'd strongly recommend not setting reentry heating to 125%, I haven't had a chance to test at 100% yet, but I suspect a very gentile reentry will be needed even then.

I'm also seeing a return of the floating phantom IVA.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

Reentry heating in 1.0.3 is much more intense and longer lasting then before.

Why cant squad just leave things alone... *sigh* Thats going to be obnoxious to get working... gonna recommend that no one update to 1.0.3 right now if you at all rely on the KSOS in intend to leave reentry heading on...

Also Im not sure what you are referring to about the IVA.

Edited by Avalon304

the IVA model sometimes floats outside the cabin, usually during timewarp, but I've seen it in 1x time aswell. We had this problem a while back, like in .23.5, but I don't remember how they fixed it.

I can understand why Squad would change the heating system, they have been getting a lot of feedback that it wasn't working as intended. Heat wasn't being properly radiated or transferred between attached parts, leading to parts not cooling off. This update should help with that. They were also getting a lot of complaints about how heatshields weren't really necessary unless you were coming in way fast, so I can see why they'd rebalance that. On the other hand, this is going to cause trouble with spaceplane SSTOs too, since none of the spaceplane parts have heatshields either.

I will continue to experiment with alternate reentry profiles, before I called it a night I still hadn't managed a landing on 125% heating yet, but I've edited my persistant file to turn it back down to 100%, so we'll see if I do any better then. I think it's safe to assume the best solution would probably be to add ablator to all the parts with heatshield tiles.

Unfortunately, the orbiter I have up right now is carrying a load of tourists, so I can't abandon it. I'll have to keep trying until I recover it safely, or else get creative and attach a heatshield with a claw or something. As soon as I can recover it, I'll see if I can figure out how to add ablator to the part files.

On the bright side, this will take care of the people complaining about how KSO isn't setup for DRE, since IIRC, DRE uses the same ablator resource now.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

the IVA model sometimes floats outside the cabin, usually during timewarp, but I've seen it in 1x time aswell. We had this problem a while back, like in .23.5, but I don't remember how they fixed it.

I can understand why Squad would change the heating system, they have been getting a lot of feedback that it wasn't working as intended. Heat wasn't being properly radiated or transferred between attached parts, leading to parts not cooling off. This update should help with that. They were also getting a lot of complaints about how heatshields weren't really necessary unless you were coming in way fast, so I can see why they'd rebalance that. On the other hand, this is going to cause trouble with spaceplane SSTOs too, since none of the spaceplane parts have heatshields either.

I will continue to experiment with alternate reentry profiles, before I called it a night I still hadn't managed a landing on 125% heating yet, but I've edited my persistant file to turn it back down to 100%, so we'll see if I do any better then. I think it's safe to assume the best solution would probably be to add ablator to all the parts with heatshield tiles.

Unfortunately, the orbiter I have up right now is carrying a load of tourists, so I can't abandon it. I'll have to keep trying until I recover it safely, or else get creative and attach a heatshield with a claw or something. As soon as I can recover it, I'll see if I can figure out how to add ablator to the part files.

On the bright side, this will take care of the people complaining about how KSO isn't setup for DRE, since IIRC, DRE uses the same ablator resource now.

Im trying to figure out why people want realism in a game of SpaceLego... why does reentry need to be deadly at all?

lol,

You know, I posted another thread suggesting heatshields for the spaceplane parts, and NathanKell pointed something out that gave me an idea. I haven't verified this, but apparently the stock spaceplane parts have a higher heat tolerance and emissivity to compensate for the fact that you cannot put heatshields on them. I haven't had a chance to reenter in one of the stock spaceplanes since the update, so I don't know if that's enough to prevent a catastrophic loss of mission, but this might be easier to change then adding ablator. As Nathan pointed out in the other thread, this is more like how the shuttles heat shield tiles worked anyway.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

lol,

You know, I posted another thread suggesting heatshields for the spaceplane parts, and NathanKell pointed something out that gave me an idea. I haven't verified this, but apparently the stock spaceplane parts have a higher heat tolerance and emissivity to compensate for the fact that you cannot put heatshields on them. I haven't had a chance to reenter in one of the stock spaceplanes since the update, so I don't know if that's enough to prevent a catastrophic loss of mission, but this might be easier to change then adding ablator. As Nathan pointed out in the other thread, this is more like how the shuttles heat shield tiles worked anyway.

Oh believe me... I know whats involved with getting the shuttles to work... I spent about 5 hours messing with it all... the heat tolerances of the KSOS are already pretty high.

For instance these are the heat tolerances of the Super 25's Command Module:

maxTemp = 3000 (This one is pretty self explanitory)

heatConductivity = 0.04 (As I understand this, its how much the part conducts heat from the surrounding parts.)

thermalMassModifier = 1.75 (As I understand this it is a multiplier of the max temperature)

emissiveConstant = 0.90 (As I understand this its howwell the part emits heat into the surrounding air, and the closer to 1 it is the better it is)

And the Mk 3 Cockpit is about the same. We'd have to probably jack up the heat tolerances to just plain silly levels... which I dont personally mind... but its also not exactly my call.

And adding ablator isnt that hard... but theres no way (as far as I am aware) to define a portion of the craft to get ablator (like making it only affect the bottom half of the craft) and ablator will even be consumed in any sort of engine heat comes into contact with the craft (like sep motors). It may even get consumed on the way up if you go fast enough... So while its easy to add... it not as simple as just adding it, and it'll be ok.

With reentry heating at 100% and a much shallower then usual descent I was able to survive reentry. Of course I then overshot the runway by over 160 km. Word to the wise, the EWBCL fuselage is not designed to survive a ditching at sea. Now that I can make a safe descent though I just need to adjust my trajectory so I don't miss the runway.

Edit: After a few more "practice" runs I was able to put it down on the runway safely. I don't think it needs a huge buff in heat tolerance after all. Maybe just a tiny boost so it's not riding the ragged edge of disaster the whole way in.:wink:

Edited by Capt. Hunt

Ok anyone else not being able to make the craft? I can put the shuttle together, but the orange fuel tank won't snap on to the clearly marked point, i can put them on top of each other and it will not attach. Its attached if i load the pre-made models but if I take it off i can't reconnect it, have to hit crtl+z to undo the change. It stages fine, but if I wanted to edit something anything I can't b/c of the fuel tank.

Ok anyone else not being able to make the craft? I can put the shuttle together, but the orange fuel tank won't snap on to the clearly marked point, i can put them on top of each other and it will not attach. Its attached if i load the pre-made models but if I take it off i can't reconnect it, have to hit crtl+z to undo the change. It stages fine, but if I wanted to edit something anything I can't b/c of the fuel tank.

Yes, we missed a node when we transitioned to 1.0.2. Until there is a fixed version for 1.0.3+ you can hit 'Alt+F12' go over to the Cheats menus and select 'Non-strict part orientation checks' and then continue to use everything normally.

Yes, we missed a node when we transitioned to 1.0.2. Until there is a fixed version for 1.0.3+ you can hit 'Alt+F12' go over to the Cheats menus and select 'Non-strict part orientation checks' and then continue to use everything normally.

Ok thanks, ya noticed its only the orange tank w/ both the eswl fuselage and the cargo bay fuselage, the gray one would attach fine onto the eswl fuselage but not the cargobay fuselage, but again wasn't huge issue as long as I just loaded the stock craft. Thanks for the info for the workaround in the meantime.

Hey guys, i've a problem with the mod, there's no sound effect and flame effect under the shuttle, and the solid booster, i also seen that the computer in the shuttle cockpit didn't appear and all the station part have missing texture.

I installed the complete pack and even installed one by one but it seems it change nothing i took some screens.

Here is the shuttle interior :

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/450706714322726987/1E8CFA970A3DB068C8ADE0418EF47131C4B4FDDC/

and here the observation lab interior i dunno why the exterior got a model but no the interior :

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/450706714322727291/A9029DDD39BABC8519FC935769064453CD72E3A3/