[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

On 11/25/2015, 11:46:55, Noah_Blade said:

I am working on a kommunity patch expect that finished soon.

this has been canceled until i can properly get a download source ready and for a 1.1 release, sorry. 

On 12/10/2015, 12:54:07, panarchist said:

That's the most recent version of the *entire* mod.  It'd be nice to have access to the individual packs again for those of us who want to only use part of the mod (like Pack 1 + Pack 2, for example)

Yes, THIS ^^... I guess I should have added that part in my OP... lol
Believe me, I know how to find even old, obscure mods without direct links in the forums... Just thought I'd point it out in case the OP needed a bump to bring it to his/her attention to fix it... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, guys,

Ive talked with Helldiver a couple of days ago. He's lost access to his original account here on the forums (probably when the forum switch happened). Around the time we get 1.1, I'm going to talk to him again and see what his plans are for the KSOS. There was something cool being worked on, that Id really like to see make it to everyone here.

On 12/21/2015 at 8:07 PM, Mods_o_joy said:

The Max skin temp Is to low ad its not set up with an ablator for reentry, The wings, Vertical/Horizontal stabilizers, Fuselage and body flap/ EWBCL RCS/Avionics nosecone and the Open-able randome need to have there max skin temps raised to 3500K and have around 100 Ablator added to them

Space shuttle heat tiles (like those that would be in use on the KSOs, and those that were in use on the real space shuttle) are not ablative. They are reusable (so long as they stay attached to the craft). There is a way for KSP to mimic this, but I cant remember what settings in the part configs to change.

3 hours ago, Mods_o_joy said:

thats why i said to add "ABLATOR" to them, the heat tiles are not detachable in KSP

Ablator is the resource used by ablative heat shields in KSP. Ablative heat shields are the ones that can be attached to the bottoms of the 1m, 2.5m  and 3.75m parts.

4 hours ago, Mods_o_joy said:

I know this, what the hell are you talking about?

Im saying that adding the resource used by ablative heat shields to a craft that has (or is supposed to have) non-ablative heat shields is not the right way to go about things. Infact this was already tried. Ablator affects the whole craft and can be eaten up by things like sepratrons.

On 12/26/2015 at 10:50 PM, Avalon304 said:

Space shuttle heat tiles (like those that would be in use on the KSOs, and those that were in use on the real space shuttle) are not ablative. They are reusable (so long as they stay attached to the craft). There is a way for KSP to mimic this, but I cant remember what settings in the part configs to change.

There are several factors that can be manipulated.  Increasing a part's emissiveConstant will cause it to radiate heat more effectively.  The stock Mk3 cargo bays have theirs set at 0.87.  The service bays (the round guys) also have heatConductivity reduced (0.04) and thermalMassModifier increased (5.0) to help them soak up heat better.  I'm certain that there's also a skin-to-internal-temperature conductivity modifier, but I don't recall any parts that have that variable set, so I can't find the exact name.

8 hours ago, Mods_o_joy said:

Why would there still be seperons on a KSO shuttle, unless they are in the damned cargo bay where they should be

For the same reason you include sepratrons on any rocket? To ensure clean separation of of parts, that is what they are for after all.

8 hours ago, Fl0oo said:

Someone revive this masterpice mod, please! ;.;

I plan on speaking to helldiver about it when 1.1 comes out. Thats when the major changes to version of Unity used by KSP are coming.

7 hours ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

There are several factors that can be manipulated.  Increasing a part's emissiveConstant will cause it to radiate heat more effectively.  The stock Mk3 cargo bays have theirs set at 0.87.  The service bays (the round guys) also have heatConductivity reduced (0.04) and thermalMassModifier increased (5.0) to help them soak up heat better.  I'm certain that there's also a skin-to-internal-temperature conductivity modifier, but I don't recall any parts that have that variable set, so I can't find the exact name.

Yea, I couldnt remember their exact names, but I knew there was a way to do it. Infact this was done in the 1.0.2 hotfix Nazari and I did, a few months back, but Im sure the heating system has changed since then and would require some changes even then.

14 hours ago, Avalon304 said:

I plan on speaking to helldiver about it when 1.1 comes out. Thats when the major changes to version of Unity used by KSP are coming.

The 1.1 update gonna afect the performance? I really have a crappy PC. :(

45 minutes ago, Fl0oo said:

The 1.1 update gonna afect the performance? I really have a crappy PC. :(

1.1 is, supposedly, going to be more physics friendly, i.e: hypertreaded. KSP core and calculations all run on core 0, the main reason why it lags with x-amount number of parts and or add-ons. So 1.1 should be a boost, but - from om what i've heared from other developers migrating from U4 to U5 - it might not be as much as we're all hoping and praying for. Nevertheless, it will be (a bit) better, at least memory wise.

9 hours ago, maseo said:

1.1 is, supposedly, going to be more physics friendly, i.e: hypertreaded. KSP core and calculations all run on core 0, the main reason why it lags with x-amount number of parts and or add-ons. So 1.1 should be a boost, but - from om what i've heared from other developers migrating from U4 to U5 - it might not be as much as we're all hoping and praying for. Nevertheless, it will be (a bit) better, at least memory wise.

Theres no telling how much of a boost to performance Unity 5 will be, but what it will provide is a stable 64-bit experience, meaning out of memory crashes should be mostly a thing of the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone please point me to where I can find the KSO-surface-attachable-MechJeb-part?

I downloaded the "Kerbin_Shuttle_Orbiter_System_No_Plugins-4.2.zip" from (iirc) KerbalStuff, the one that's linked a few posts above.
I used a "Search in files"-function to look for the term "mechjeb", but no positive results came up...

Help?

6 minutes ago, cy-one said:

Thanks a lot! "Stripping out everything else" is problematic if you can't find it >.>

Well, it looks like the MJ part was dropped in recent releases...?? It was in the Complete (All Packs) package only... I have v4.09 & 4.13, and its not in the 4.13 release... The 4.09 release has a separate MechJeb2 folder outside the KSO folder... I guess I'm glad I kept the MJ part in a .zip all by itself, if its been dropped from the mod...

On 1/13/2016 at 9:20 AM, Stone Blue said:

Well, it looks like the MJ part was dropped in recent releases...?? It was in the Complete (All Packs) package only... I have v4.09 & 4.13, and its not in the 4.13 release... The 4.09 release has a separate MechJeb2 folder outside the KSO folder... I guess I'm glad I kept the MJ part in a .zip all by itself, if its been dropped from the mod...

I dont recall us ever bundling the MechJeb control module with any of the complete packs. It was always a separate download, and Ive been here since the Super 25 was in development. Though, I suppose we could have, and I just dont remember it.

That being said, Ive rehosted (since it no longer appears to be in the OP) the MechJeb control module here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14006682/KSO_MechJeb2.zip

It is the original zip file as I downloaded it, back when it was up. It extracts to Kerbal Space Program\GameData\MechJeb2\

On 1/15/2016 at 6:18 AM, Mods_o_joy said:

Re-entry is impossible with this shuttle now because of the new Heating system

Version 4.13 was not optimized for KSP1.0+. If you want you can attempt to use version 4.2, which Ive rehosted here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14006682/KSO_v4.2_CompletePack.zip

We never released a segmented version of v4.2. It was created for version KSP1.0.2, and may work for KSP1.0.5. But I can make no promises that it will. And we, for the foreseeable future are in a holding pattern until KSP1.1 releases, and I can speak to helldiver.

Edited by Avalon304
Mediafire links replaced with Dropbox links.

9 hours ago, Avalon304 said:

I dont recall us ever bundling the MechJeb control module with any of the complete packs. It was always a separate download, and Ive been here since the Super 25 was in development. Though, I suppose we could have, and I just dont remember it.

Hmmm... Perhaps I ended up merging my copy of the MJ part's .zip into my copy of the Complete 4.13 .zip, just to keep it together... I've been know to do that with patches, fixes and edited/custom .cfgs....

But its a moot point, I guess, since NONE of the links in the OP work.... So thanx for hosting it and making it available again, Avalon304... :)

I will pull my link of it down now.....

Edited by Stone Blue

@DanB96 Links on OP are not working since the "Great 2015 Forum Debacle Switch"... You can still find the "Complete" .zip on [Moderator removed defunct website]
Be aware the mod has NOT been officially updated for 1.0.5, so use at your own risk!!!

Edited by James Kerman
link removed

16 hours ago, DanB96 said:

I'm most likely being stupid here, but where are the download links?

You can find version 4.2 of the complete mod here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14006682/KSO_v4.2_CompletePack.zip

It was made for KSP1.0.2 but may work in 1.0.5. Still, your mileage may vary. There was no segmented version released.

Edited by Avalon304

Just been playing around with this mod for the first time in a while, it's nice to see that everything seems to work fine.

The only thing I noticed was the low max temps that have been reported above, and I found that removing the kso_dre and kso25_dre .cfg files in the FX folder seems to fix it, both orbiters reentering reliably.

Just thought I'd share this bit of information in case others find it useful.

• 3 weeks later...