[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Excuse my noobiness, but what if:

- I delete RPM and the associated other folder (JSI and Hyomoto folders respectively) because i don't want it? Will I still have an interior?

- I delete the Mechjeb, Scansat and firespitter folders, because I already have these mods? Are the dll specifically modified for the KSO?

Again sorry for those dumb questions, and congratulation for the release of this awesome mod!

Deleting any of those folders will break the KSO.

The current version being uploaded cleaned up the download by removing some of the extra files in the Firespitter directory.

Nice little craft, I'll definitely make some use of it.

However, the install itself is QUITE messy. There is 7 folders for one mod, and there is many "trash" files (example crafts, flags, etc) that should be removed from install. Also, it might be a good idea to put it all in one folder, or updating it will be a pain in the @ss.

I have a few suggestions for changes to existing parts:

-Split the orange fuel tank into the nosecone, center section and the bottom attachment point. This would add more flexibility.

-Split the boosters into the booster and the nosecone. That would allow people to attach other stuff to the top, like parachutes.

And some ideas for future parts:

-Parts for a Shuttle-C like unmanned cargo carrier. Quite simple to make as it reuses orbiter parts such as the engine mount and engines. Only a longer cargo bay and a nosecone acting as the probe body would be needed to create such a design.

ShuttleC-660x1161.jpg

-If you split the fuel tank there's also room to do add something called the Aft Cargo Carrier. This would basically be a decoupling shroud that would encase various types of cargo. Since the KSO can get into orbit pretty easy, something to utilize its full lifting (ie. extra cargo capacity) would be useful.

ACC4-660x508.jpg

Well, my station crew ferry just got cancelled. KSO looks better, flies better, and holds more crew.

The KSO flies like a dream. I only had time for one test flight this morning, but it was almost as smooth as flying a normal rocket. It even takes early-launch rolls easily. Re-entry from 100 km orbit was relatively accurate, started flying her myself at about 27 km out from KSC, and, as always....I landed next to the runway, not on it. Oops. I have yet to fly with any payload to speak of, but I imagine dtobi's plugin should help take care of it.

My only complaint/bug report: KSO and Kerbal Engineer don't play nice together. I get no mass, DV, or TWR readouts in the VAB. In flight I do get mass, but I only get DV and TWR for the final stage (the OMS). Probably has something to do with the fuel line built in to the external tank, but that's just a guess.

EDIT: This appears to be a (known) issue with Engineer. It doesn't like the decoupler module on the EFT.

Edited by AngusJimiKeith

The current reports is that it does support FAR but requires lowering the fuel in the EFT by about 50%. Although most folks claim it works just fine as it is.

We may have a cfg file to allow for compatibility in the future.

The current reports is that it does support FAR but requires lowering the fuel in the EFT by about 50%. Although most folks claim it works just fine as it is.

We may have a cfg file to allow for compatibility in the future.

OK going to test now :o

And a FAR cfg File would be nice in the future :)

Beautiful little craft. I managed one and a half test flights before I had to leave for work. Very nice in flight and handled well. A few comments:

1) The sepratrons on the saved KSO-001 ship's LRBs cause more problems than they solve, and with both launches they put enough spin on the LRBs that they came back and hit the craft (after burn out, mind you). This destroyed the first orbiter, thus my 1.5 flights. Using thrust limiter on the sepratrons in the provided craft file might work better.

2) Why did you need the airbrake? For FAR? Reentry was fine in stock without it.

3) Nazari, your hot rockets exhaust on the LRBs looks great but still moves much much too "slowly." Is there a way to speed this up with a config edit?

With the mod requirements I'll never be able to use it in my main game (for various reasons... conflicts, general "not workingness" on my laptop...), but I'll keep a second install around to fiddle with this craft.

Well done!

Beautiful little craft. I managed one and a half test flights before I had to leave for work. Very nice in flight and handled well. A few comments:

1) The sepratrons on the saved KSO-001 ship's LRBs cause more problems than they solve, and with both launches they put enough spin on the LRBs that they came back and hit the craft (after burn out, mind you). This destroyed the first orbiter, thus my 1.5 flights. Using thrust limiter on the sepratrons in the provided craft file might work better.

2) Why did you need the airbrake? For FAR? Reentry was fine in stock without it.

3) Nazari, your hot rockets exhaust on the LRBs looks great but still moves much much too "slowly." Is there a way to speed this up with a config edit?

With the mod requirements I'll never be able to use it in my main game (for various reasons... conflicts, general "not workingness" on my laptop...), but I'll keep a second install around to fiddle with this craft.

Well done!

You're right, KSO-001 was done very fast. V002 In version 1.05 should be much better... I still need to sit down and slowly fix the setup.

You don't need the airbrake, it looks cool... And a craft like the KSO would have one. I've used the airbrake numerous times however. Trust me when I say, you want it. The airbrake has saved me several times by allowing me to slow down my airspeed on a bad descent burn. Additionally it is a remnant left over from the early flight models that required it in order to achieve proper angle of attack on re-entry. The newer more efficient flight model doesn't need it unless you overshot your landing target.

Have you tried the alternate low resolution textures? Has it helped? (a link to the download can be found in the OP right under the main download link).

Have you tried the alternate low resolution textures? Has it helped? (a link to the download can be found in the OP right under the main download link).

I downloaded them but didn't give them a try, as your models and textures loaded just fine. Would probably improve framerate at launch a bit so I'll see how well they work later tonight. Generally, as long as any individual texture is less than 8192x8192, Unity + My Cheap Intel HD4000 GPU have no issues loading it. Above that it's hit and miss thanks to some obscure Unity and/or driver bug.

(And reduced resolution textures won't fix the fact that RPM has never worked quite right for me, but that's outside the scope of this thread.)

I downloaded them but didn't give them a try, as your models and textures loaded just fine. Would probably improve framerate at launch a bit so I'll see how well they work later tonight. Generally, as long as any individual texture is less than 8192x8192, Unity + My Cheap Intel HD4000 GPU have no issues loading it. Above that it's hit and miss thanks to some obscure Unity and/or driver bug.

(And reduced resolution textures won't fix the fact that RPM has never worked quite right for me, but that's outside the scope of this thread.)

Are you playing the game in a window?

I experience bugs with RPM when I alt+tab or when I play in windowed mode (SLI NVidia 680's). In fact my whole game will turn blue and the MFD's will sometimes go hay-wire. Wondering if you a similar issue as I do when playing in a window.

Deleting any of those folders will break the KSO.

The current version being uploaded cleaned up the download by removing some of the extra files in the Firespitter directory.

Thanks for the swift answer! And for the tremendous amount of work you put in this.

Thing is flying flawlessly, its like a dream :D