[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Tested the DRE hotfix. Have to mention i use a very slighly boosted version (bit higher temperatures, DRE parts still can wistand it with settings similar to those you added). Landing gear was first to burn, then control was lost and shuttle was no more... So no change on my side.

I'll keep testing tho ^^

Edit: maybe the ablative shield would be more efficient, not really sure. It's something like this (may be outdated) :

MODULE

{

name = ModuleHeatShield

direction = 0, -1, 0 // bottom of pod

reflective = 0.05 // 5% of heat is ignored at correct angle

ablative = AblativeShielding

loss

{ // loss is based on the shockwave temperature (also based on density)

key = 650 0 // start ablating at 650 degrees C

key = 1000 320 // peak ablation at 1000 degrees C

key = 3000 400 // max ablation at 3000 degrees C

}

dissipation

{ // dissipation is based on the part's current temperature

key = 300 0 // begin dissipating at 300 degrees C

key = 500 90 // maximum dissipation at 500 degrees C

}

}

RESOURCE

{

name = AblativeShielding

amount = 1000

maxAmount = 1000

}

Edited by Initar

yeah of course, you can share them in the thread too. About the OMS control problems - I really don't know what the issue is, because I tested them a few minutes ago and they are functioning just fine in orbit. The SAS keeps the nose steady even at full thrust. Make sure you have an avionics unit under the nosecone too.

Thanks. Although I wasn't having any OMS issues :P

Just issues after booster sep, but considering this was just released I've still got a lot to learn (errors on my part). :)

There are no OMS issues.

I tested them thoroughly this morning (last night? I can't remember).

You should not be using the OMS engines while still attached to the tank. Use the OMS engines only after separation from the EFT. Make sure their pitch trim is 14. If you have the tank, use the main engines instead.

-When first trying the KSO, save often throughout your stages (default F5 to quicksave, and F9 to reload a save). I recommend using a test save game while you learn and practice with it.

Edited by helldiver

Yep, this makes my KSP client feel defeated and it quits during loading due to running out of memory. I'm trying to console it but it's not working!

Also try the texture reduction download listed in the OP. Try that first since that only reduces the texture for the mod :)

Changes are coming soon, make sure you are prepared to lose active KSO command pods and craft files.

save your craft files as subassemblies without a pod.

Can I guess what it is? Is it the normal pod but this time the name changes with the crafts name! That would be awesome.

Can I guess what it is? Is it the normal pod but this time the name changes with the crafts name! That would be awesome.

At the last minute this morning as we were uploading I made changes to the cfg's as I fixed some minor issues and cleaned up the extra files we frantically included in the download. We've made everything compatible so that both Nazari and I have the same files and can update things more efficiently.

This update will also add some Deadly Re-entry support, although that will be a work in progress.

We also began rudimentary FAR support and laying out the framework. However that will be a work in progress for a while as we tweak the values.

I do not expect any more craft file or craft losses after this point.

My apologies for this change, as I did mention in the original thread, don't get too attached to the first KSO as we may make some changes early on.

Edited by helldiver

This actually works very well with FAR. TOO well, in fact. I can actually get into a 200km circular orbit with the EFT and main engines. Also, during reentry, it maintains supersonic speeds under 10 km, and it requires liberal use of the airbrake. It's not game-breaking, in fact it's actually kind of fun. :D Looking forward to real support though.

This thing is awesome! I'm so glad you got it released!

On another note, I have a operations question. How does one use the OMS even with the pitch angle at 14, without flipping the thing end over end? I've had a real hard time with that.

Ok, when I used MechJeb, it was able to get me into orbit, but it did a bad job of it. It burned too much fuel in atmosphere. Maybe this can be configured better in the MechJeb menu. However, Helldiver isn't releasing this as a mod that supports MechJeb. Maybe in the near future. For now, once you're apoapsis is high enough, meaning 70-90 km, I suggest finishing your burn manually if MJ's giving you problems. I have done tons of manual orbits with the current setup.

Is this an official change in policy? Because it has been touted as being MJ compatible as a release goal until now.

If it burned too much fuel in the atmosphere, there's a variety of settings that can cause that. (Mine certainly is not doing so.) MJ misbehavior can be as much if not more due to poor understanding of the settings as to any error on the part of MJ itself. (MJ is not entirely the 'easy button' it's often believed to be, but also a tool that you have to learn how to use.) If you need help in working out how MJ works (as you said it's your first experience with it), I can help or you can ask in the MJ thread for testers.

There's still pitch excursions when flying manually w/ SAS enabled, just not as bad.

Am I the first one with this idea or anyone else wants 3D printed model of this cute little orbiter? It has nice shape, it is compact and I want it! :D

I was voicing just that sentiment on the development forum a couple of days ago. Great on the desk, maybe a wooden stand.

Loving the ship,flies like a dream.