[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

I'll see about MJ though.

Thank you. At least on ascent, it's awfully damn close. Just gotta figure out what's causing the nasty pitch excursion (and I have a couple of ideas on that, but need to install the latest version of KSO first).

Well, it flies in FAR, but it's seriously overpowered on launch as others have noted. I was nearly out of the atmosphere before SRB burnout. :)

It's overpowered without FAR, but Helldiver mentioned late in development that it would be.

(Folks who are flying with MJ and not ending up jettisoning the LRB's late should try the stock MJ automatic launch profile with "limit terminal velocity" enabled.)

Also, and I know this isn't a KSO problem because it's been happening ever since RasterProp went to the latest update, but none of the RP instruments or monitors work. At all. In ANY of my cockpits or command pods. Yes, I run a lot of mods with plugins, so I'm sure there's a conflict somewhere, I just figured I'd throw this out there to see if someone else had the same problem and has figured out a fix.

RPM conflicts with it's own old versions which worked (for a while) when not correctly installed. Doublecheck your system for multiple copies of RasterPropMonitor.dll. Only GameData/JSI/RasterPropMonitor/Plugins/RasterPropMonitor.dll should exist, every other copy should be deleted.

So, I grabbed my fresh download, installed it and the DRE patch and hastily started up the game. The installation consists of Real Solar System, FAR and Deadly Reentry. And others of course, but it's those three that are of concern right now. Can the KSO survive a re-entry with that combination in its current new release state? (there's no way it has the delta-V to get to RSS Kerbin's orbit so I hyper-edited it, seeing as how my main motivation was to see if it could survive fiery re-entry. (for those not playing RSS, re-entry is a bit more deadly there)

It took me a couple of tries but the elevons keep burning off. And the landing gear too. And I overshot KSC by quite a bit and had to do a belly landing in the water. The pilot was reduced to a nervous wreck and the copilot a gibbering lunatic. Better check the ECLSS, I think it must be flooding the cabin with fumes or something.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Derek, are you activating engines with action groups? That's causing issues atm.

No.

And Helldiver, what's the difference between the three different versions in the VAB in 1.07? (And all three still have the bad Seperatron install.)

No.

And Helldiver, what's the difference between the three different versions in the VAB in 1.07? (And all three still have the bad Seperatron install.)

My fault...

They were supposed to be the fixed ones I got from Nazari... But I guess KSP does 0 differently and the files didn't get replaced.

They are fixed in v1.08 currently on the Spaceport link.

Edited by helldiver

Any idea why the cockpit cannot be connected to anything if not the root part?

Because the cockpit wants to be the star of the show...

We'll be researching why this happens. A lot of these node issues have stomped Nazari but we both expect to eventually fix it. For now if you have that issue, you'll have to start construction from the KSO Cockpit first.

Oh yeah, I forgot to report that the shuttle's landing gear is unbalanced. Try it, just take the shuttle of the the booster that launch it on the runway, it instantly falls backwards.

I feel like it is the weight of all the fuel in the rear compartment, as when I land it after a mission it stays upright fine.

However, the wheels do not like to turn, even when I enable steering.

Oh yeah, I forgot to report that the shuttle's landing gear is unbalanced. Try it, just take the shuttle of the the booster that launch it on the runway, it instantly falls backwards.

The KSO is not a true space-plane. As such it's designed for you to launch it using rockets and upright.

If you want to sit it on the runway, you'll have to manually empty out the tank in the back and turn off SAS in order to get it to sit properly.

I feel like it is the weight of all the fuel in the rear compartment, as when I land it after a mission it stays upright fine.

However, the wheels do not like to turn, even when I enable steering.

They did originally. Nazari experienced buggy behavior of the two struts in the front so we turned off the ability for now.

You guys are amazing.

KTS-2_zps905a5d45.png

I decided to play around with the orbiter a bit and use a single vertical stabilizer like the Buran or Space Shuttle. But this blocked the Air Brake and I wasn't about to kill my tail on landing so I used the engine mounts from the Space Shuttle Engines mod and B9's small air-brakes instead. She flies just as well as the stock set-up but looks a little more NASA. With fine controls turned on the roll over-sensitivity isn't too much of an issue. This is definitely my go-to crew and small payload orbiter.

You guys are amazing.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/Maze38/KTS-2_zps905a5d45.png

I decided to play around with the orbiter a bit and use a single vertical stabilizer like the Buran or Space Shuttle. But this blocked the Air Brake and I wasn't about to kill my tail on landing so I used the engine mounts from the Space Shuttle Engines mod and B9's small air-brakes instead. She flies just as well as the stock set-up but looks a little more NASA. With fine controls turned on the roll over-sensitivity isn't too much of an issue. This is definitely my go-to crew and small payload orbiter.

Lovely pic!

If you have Photoshop, the bottom of my second post (right after the OP) has a link to the Patch Creation Kit if you wish to make your own mission patches :D

I've been waiting to make SLS with this all week

http://i.imgur.com/KWE5Ql6.png

Thanks again for making this

What is your mission with this configuration? Looks awesome!

What is your mission with this configuration? Looks awesome!

I just like to have some variation in the design of my rockets. Sometimes I will have something like Orion, and another rocket that is similar to Soyuz. It just looks cool to have more than 1 type of craft docked to my station.

A few remarks/yells:

-This shuttle is amazing.

-RCS is off-center, you might want to fix this in an upcoming update.

-Could you add a camera view that focuses on the MFDs? They're in sort of an odd angle when you look down on them.

-Someone accidentally left an RTG lying in the cargo bay. The KHC is concerned over the safety of the kerbals in the cockpit and asks if this was intentional.

-I second the proposal/suggestion to split up the main tank in 3 parts. This would make an awesome way to launch medium payloads.

-I haven't been able to land this properly yet. Good job on making that sorta hard. (Do splashdowns also count as landings?)

-Amazing work.

-Amazing work. Wait, I think I said that already.

I absolutely love this thing which is why I felt the need to report this bug I think I have found to you.

Every-time I use the KSO it breaks the game usually when I have landed back on Kerbin.

When this happens I am unable to quick save or recover the vessel, when I go to the map view and switch to another craft I get wind noise and a random view of Kerbin and no craft and I am still unable to save or return to space center.

Let me know if you want more details, I don't know if you are already aware of any conflicts with other mods...

I am running KSO with reduced texture pack and all mods included, KJR, Firespitter, Davon TC, MJ, KAS, DYJ and AKS technologies weapons, ASET alcor pod, kethane, magic smoke, parameciumkid jump drive, stretchy tanks extended, TAC fuel balancer and TV aerospace. I had to sacrifice B9 and Nova Punch to get the game to run KSO.

I am going to do a fresh install with just KSO and slowly add other mods if I find one that breaks the game I will post to let you know.