[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

@ helldiver and Nazari: I have only had a small window of time to play around with your shuttle (v001 and v107 so far) but I haven't had any problems with either of those versions (other than terror-inducing, crazy spinning LRBs on separation). I'll keep updating as they come out. But I got to say, this is shuttle is great! Thank you guys again. I look forward to many flights with this when I get time to really play with it.

learn to use the tweakables, fixes roll sensitivity very nicely.

I do know how to use the tweakables, thank you. Are you seriously suggesting that I should have tweaked things before making a baseline flight at the defaults to see what tweaks were actually needed?

Really? What's your ascent profile? It feels like mine was working fine and then i got all of these problems out of nowhere with takeoff

I tried my normal rocket ascent in FAR, starting a slow gravity turn just after clearing the pad. I was expecting to be at 45 degrees of pitch at 10km, but was only about 60. I would normally be horizontal about 35km, but was still pitched up about 30 degrees or so (just estimating, I was having too much fun to pay attention to details). Boosters burned out at maybe 40km and Ap was already passing 100km.

Sloppy ascent, but I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm sure I'll be able to better with the next ones.

I was also fighting what felt like some uncommanded roll along the way. It seemed like yaw adjustments while on the main engines were inducing some roll, making the thing wallow around in the sky. I believe the Space Shuttle Engines mod pack had the same issue at first, and corrected it be changing how the engines gimballed.

Edited by RoboRay

I flew my mission with DRE (at default settings) and had no problems. I expect it comes down to how you fly it. Did you do a shallow descent with high-AOA S-turns to bleed off energy, or just plow it in nose-down?

Heck, at one point, I was actually climbing again during reentry... Gained about 2km (by accident, really), things cooled off some, then I started back down. The crew cabin temp barely exceeded 1000 degrees and it was the hottest part. I had expected the down-side wing during turns to get hotter, but they maxed out well below 1000.

Edited by RoboRay

Strange... I generally go for a very low periapse, no S-turns. I generally use a slighly boosted DRE version, maybe I just forgot to set back a parameter...

Edited by Initar

I thought that this was going to never come out, but boy was I wrong!!This shuttle has a million uses, has the quality of the B9 pack, and an epic IVA using rasterprop and some other one that I do not now.You guys certainly did a good job on your quality here!

I flew my mission with DRE (at default settings) and had no problems. I expect it comes down to how you fly it. Did you do a shallow descent with high-AOA S-turns to bleed off energy, or just plow it in nose-down?

Heck, at one point, I was actually climbing again during reentry... Gained about 2km (by accident, really), things cooled off some, then I started back down. The crew cabin temp barely exceeded 1000 degrees and it was the hottest part. I had expected the down-side wing during turns to get hotter, but they maxed out well below 1000.

Yeah, I agree. MechJeb can do everything accept for circulizing it after it has launched, it just did a bunch of jerky engine fires before I took over and saved the shuttle.

Regarding the supplied craft file and booster separation issues, I've found it almost always best to fit sepratrons on only one side of boosters and directed at a small angle away from the craft, such that the parts retain their attitude but spin away parallel to the vessel. They are much less likely to cause problems that way.

Yeah, I agree. MechJeb can do everything accept for circulizing it after it has launched, it just did a bunch of jerky engine fires before I took over and saved the shuttle.

If you're circularizing with the OMS, try adjusting their gimbals from 14° to 12° while also decreasing their max thrust from 100% down to around 75%. MJ seems to handle it just fine then. With the default KSO settings it ends up just spinning in circles chasing the maneuver node since it doesn't know how to handle the engine gimbals.

After a bunch of flights under various conditions last night, I noticed a bit of an issue with the flight model: if you use up a significant portion of the onboard fuel (about 3/4 or more), the center of mass moves well behind the center of lift (confirmed in the SPH). This gives it a tendency to pitch way down during low altitude flight.

Not sure if this is a problem with my flying in particular or in general.

Issues i have expierenced:

- Shuttle Uncontrollable during reentry with FAR installed, it seems like only right wing generates lift and drag -> crash

- Mechjeb Auto Ascent makes it spin in a pitch roll with LRBs 30% Fuel left. I reduced them already to 70% Thrust and half the fuel

- Needs ridiculous amounts of RCS Fuel and induces a spin when translating aswell a forward motion when translating up/down. Reason: RCS in the front is too powerful/after RCS too weak.

Please make this FAR compatible! Its a great mod! I hope you can fix those Issues.

Gz, Fred

Okay, I've played with it and I like it a lot, it is the only shuttle mod I've used in .22/.23 that works well. Launches and flies pretty well (in spite of my cack-handed piloting) and looks amazing.

I had a lingering issue, though. I know it's only supposed to be stubby and a 'Kerbalised' version of the concept but it's frustratingly *just* too small to take a decent 2.5m module in the payload bay. IT's great for launching small stuff but the payload bay will become pointless if you want to use it with a space station, which is a shame, as it's a wonderful mod and I'd LOVE to use it for station construction.

The .tga file sizes are crazy. 65MB for some of them ! There really isn't much point in having 4096x4096 resolution on textures. Even if someone has a 4096 pixel display, it would be overkill !

I had to reduce the textures to 512x512 to even load the mod in KSP.

The .tga file sizes are crazy. 65MB for some of them ! There really isn't much point in having 4096x4096 resolution on textures. Even if someone has a 4096 pixel display, it would be overkill !

I had to reduce the textures to 512x512 to even load the mod in KSP.

What kind of computer are you using? It works fine for me, maybe a bit of lag. Try eliminating some of your major mods, and maybe lower your video settings.

If you're circularizing with the OMS, try adjusting their gimbals from 14° to 12° while also decreasing their max thrust from 100% down to around 75%. MJ seems to handle it just fine then. With the default KSO settings it ends up just spinning in circles chasing the maneuver node since it doesn't know how to handle the engine gimbals.

Thanks! This works great!

Assemble your payload outside the cargo bay, starting with a decoupler that won't surface-attach. When it's finished, grab the decoupler and stick it on the cargo bay stack node, bringing the rest of the payload with it.

Surface-attach a girder or something on the front of the orbiter if you need a temporary stack node to build on.

Edited by RoboRay

Is anyone else having an issue when placing the Docking Module in the payload bay of the stock craft file? It seems to attach just fine in the VAB, however once I get to orbit it acts like it's connected to the ET and not the shuttle... So thusly I have the ET hanging off the bottle of the shuttle while the docking module flies around the cargo bay.

Edit: Just tried pulling the ET off the shuttle while in the VAB and the docking module came with it... but at the exact location that it would be attached to the payload bay airlock. Removed the docking port, re-attached the ET, added a new docking port and pulled the ET off again and this time it stayed attached to the shuttle. Weird.

Edited by Jason Cox