[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Any possibility of a smaller, passenger-only version of the KSOS; with an accordingly smaller wing area (and less mass -- the thermal protection system for the space shuttle was 9 kg/m2) for when you just want to send Kerbals up, and not kerbals + station modules?

Hacked together MSPaint photo of a hypothetical KSOS-P attached:

tDUvklA.jpg

Just tried this out, got into a 80km*100km orbit with fuel to spare in the EFT and on the shuttle.

htkDujN.png

I guess I figured out a really good gravity turn. :roll eyes:

Edit: "Landed" my shuttle. I started my flare too late and crashed... everything except the cargo bay and landing gear broke. Sense? I don't think so... Need to work on landing...

Edited by OrbitusII

There appears to be a bug with the vertical stabilizers. Placing them at a slightly steeper angle to each other (60 degrees as opposed to the 90 degree angle on the example KSO craft provided) appears to bork the centre of lift. I'm not completely sure if this is simply a VAB display error, or if it also reflects the KSO's handling characteristics.

Edited for precision and redundancy.

Edited by Bomoo

Another minor nigglem, the stock craft file is missing 2 seperatrons on the left hand LRB.

I decided to goof about a bit and found it flies really well like this! :)

eIVamCT.png

VRuZuk1.jpg

EDIT: YES! This, it'd work even better on top of a Jupiter booster :)

Any possibility of a smaller, passenger-only version of the KSOS; with an accordingly smaller wing area (and less mass -- the thermal protection system for the space shuttle was 9 kg/m2) for when you just want to send Kerbals up, and not kerbals + station modules?

Hacked together MSPaint photo of a hypothetical KSOS-P attached:

http://i.imgur.com/tDUvklA.jpg

Just tried this out, got into a 80km*100km orbit with fuel to spare in the EFT and on the shuttle.

http://i.imgur.com/htkDujN.png

I guess I figured out a really good gravity turn. :roll eyes:

Edit: "Landed" my shuttle. I started my flare too late and crashed... everything except the cargo bay and landing gear broke. Sense? I don't think so... Need to work on landing...

If you use FAR you can get escape velocity from launch and still have fuel left XD (but it makes the thing hard as hell to glide)

I've got a MM config to add basic FAR support to the shuttle. It's not the most accurate (I basically stole FAR configs from similar stock and B9 parts), but for anyone wanting to add it in here it is: http://cl.ly/code/3k3k263G3y2I The flaps don't do a darn thing here, but you probably don't need them. Feel free to change this up as well. I may try for a true attempt at this if I can find the FAR descriptions of the variables again.

I may have found a bug as well. In trying to get FAR working, I noticed that if I attach either the main engines or the OMS engines that come with KSO the CoM marker does not show up. I checked with MechJeb and it shows mass as NaN when this happens. I can happily swap for the Klockheed-Martian Main/OMS engines and they play nice. I didn't see anything with the config that jumped out, so I really don't know. But I could reliably get this to happen on my setup. Anyone else see that?

I've got a MM config to add basic FAR support to the shuttle. It's not the most accurate (I basically stole FAR configs from similar stock and B9 parts), but for anyone wanting to add it in here it is: http://cl.ly/code/3k3k263G3y2I The flaps don't do a darn thing here, but you probably don't need them. Feel free to change this up as well. I may try for a true attempt at this if I can find the FAR descriptions of the variables again.

I may have found a bug as well. In trying to get FAR working, I noticed that if I attach either the main engines or the OMS engines that come with KSO the CoM marker does not show up. I checked with MechJeb and it shows mass as NaN when this happens. I can happily swap for the Klockheed-Martian Main/OMS engines and they play nice. I didn't see anything with the config that jumped out, so I really don't know. But I could reliably get this to happen on my setup. Anyone else see that?

It's a bug with tweakables on resources with 0 max amount, such as electric charge on engines. Current amount becomes invalid and makes all calculations of mass invalid.

It's a bug with tweakables on resources with 0 max amount, such as electric charge on engines. Current amount becomes invalid and makes all calculations of mass invalid.

Does it actually affect anything in flight, or is it simply a display issue?

I have flown two missions with this, and it is fantastic! Unfortunately, both missions ended in a crash landing, although the crews survived. I attribute this to the fact that my computer gets around 5 fps whenever I can see the horizon. (Yes, I'm using integrated graphics. :( ) Now this shuttle makes me really wish I had the money for a proper graphics card!

Nice.I've just fixed that for the next time we upload the KSO folder. Raptor, if you actually want to work out the values, they are located in the FAR README. I'll probably test some different numbers out tonight.

I'll take a crack at it. You're probably better informed of how you wanted it to handle, though! I got one reentry in with this config and it seemed to handle just fine. I've gotten it into an unrecoverable stall/flatspin a few times, but I'm HyperEditing it to an "orbit" of 30km to see how it handles. Not exactly normal procedure. Spin got so bad it broke the cabin clean off! :)

Also, I can't seem to restrict any of the control surfaces to certain axes. So, the tailplane and the rudder pieces always actuate on all axes no matter what I tell it in the VAB/SPH.

Okay, I've played with it and I like it a lot, it is the only shuttle mod I've used in .22/.23 that works well. Launches and flies pretty well (in spite of my cack-handed piloting) and looks amazing.

I had a lingering issue, though. I know it's only supposed to be stubby and a 'Kerbalised' version of the concept but it's frustratingly *just* too small to take a decent 2.5m module in the payload bay. IT's great for launching small stuff but the payload bay will become pointless if you want to use it with a space station, which is a shame, as it's a wonderful mod and I'd LOVE to use it for station construction.

I'm releasing space station components that will fit the cargo bay just fine. There is no reason Kerbals (at .75 meter's tall) need 2.5 meter space station components. Unless you want "realistic" components which as I said 100 times in the KSO development thread I'm making this project specific to KSP and it's lore. Just like our real shuttles can't fit Saturn 5 components, I don't think a Kerbin shuttle would be able to fit their largest components either.

As I said, part of the Kerbin Shuttle System is to include gameplay elements that support the KSO.

Another minor nigglem, the stock craft file is missing 2 seperatrons on the left hand LRB.

I decided to goof about a bit and found it flies really well like this! :)

http://i.imgur.com/eIVamCT.png

http://i.imgur.com/VRuZuk1.jpg

EDIT: YES! This, it'd work even better on top of a Jupiter booster :)

Do to popular demand of this setup, in the future (Phase II) I will be releasing a rear end shroud/cowling that will allow you to do this.

Keep in mind that I hate it. :mad:

There is no reason Kerbals (at .75 meter's tall) need 2.5 meter space station components.

FWIW, Squad has stated several times that Kerbals are now 1m tall. That's why parts have that built-in RescaleFactor, from that change when they were shorter. :)

There's a lot of outdated info in that wiki.

Do to popular demand of this setup, in the future (Phase II) I will be releasing a rear end shroud/cowling that will allow you to do this.

Keep in mind that I hate it. k_angry.gif

Oh, come on... you can't make something that looks so much like an X-37B and expect people to not want to launch it like one. :)

r-X37B-PLANE-large570.jpg

X37b-spaceplane-100416-02.jpg

Thanks, though. :)

Edited by RoboRay