[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

First off.... FANTASTIC!

1) I'm going to be another malcontent and express my mild disappointment that it is not quite big enough to haul up station sized parts..... HOWEVER..... this gives somebody the opportunity to develop a string of smaller station parts that are sized appropriately. This isn't a big deal, it's more along the lines of "awww shucks."

2) The LRB's... why, oh why don't they auto sequence? I know, I know.... no expressed MechJeb compatibility but aside from not jettisoning the LRB's, MechJeb works just fine with the craft. External tank jets when it is spent. I managed a launch, station rendezvous, docking, de orbiting and.... well, lets not talk about my landing.... but that all worked well enough.

Again, great mod. I have had a lot of fun with this one (at the expense of many brave Kerbals).

XX, can you provide a ship file and links to necessary downloads? I tried and failed miserably. I downloaded and installed what is prescribed in this thread...http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/37680-DROMOMAN-modular-arm-parts-for-Damned-Infernal-Robotics without success. Missing hubs and such for the arm, no GUI. Weird because I have used Infernal in the past without problems.

For people who want robotic arms, you can easily make one with DROMAN parts like here

http://i.imgur.com/ZRqjfLy.png.

Edit... You gotta install the tool bar folder, too. Not optional.

Edited by LawnDartLeo

The escape pod will have to wait for the mun lander phase as it may be a part of that. I don't have the time to be modeling so many IVAs for too many vehicles when the same vehicle can do the same thing.

That's cool. We can wait. There is a very nice little escape pod on the spaceport website, but my biggest issue with it is that it has never really looked like something a kerbal would have come up with. I look forward to what you think up. Regarding the moon lander, does this mean that some sort of interplanetary drive or ring is in development as well?

But there is also an artwork for a connection (just like the other two connection nodes of the cargo bay) at the center of the cargo bay without any connection node. Is this intentional?

It was intended to have a node but it has problems being compatible with stock parts when you set up nodes that way. If you place a standard docking port on the floor with surface attachment it'll work fine for connecting a decoupler or 2nd docking port.

First off.... FANTASTIC!

1) I'm going to be another malcontent and express my mild disappointment that it is not quite big enough to haul up station sized parts..... HOWEVER..... this gives somebody the opportunity to develop a string of smaller station parts that are sized appropriately. This isn't a big deal, it's more along the lines of "awww shucks."

In the OP and the posts of the last few pages, the plans for KSO station parts are outlined.

Hmmm ... this question comes up A LOT. Maybe ... maybe ... it's because he didn't design his shuttle to booster forty tons into space. It's actually a little larger than Bac9's Mk2 fuselage internally. It damn near fits two meter parts. You can always get Bac9 if your dream is a plane the size of a building instead of asking Helldiver to stop making things he wants to and make things you want him to. Plus, I have a practical reason for him to avoid this kind of request. .There are a large number of part packs that focus on larger and larger and larger ships/rockets. 0.24 is supposed to have 6m+ pieces. This fits the bill for anyone who wants a smaller space program. It fills a void other mods don't.

Yea, this shuttle is great for small ops. I don't always want to launch a rocket capable of 100 tons payload to orbit. Sometimes you just need a comsat or a kethanesat, or even a small crew resupply. The whole point of the shuttle is THE Kerbin Mini Shuttle

Bobcat has done some great things (not updated to 0.23) with inflatable parts. I think the shuttle could easily bring up inflatable space station parts and it would be a lot of fun to dock them all together and make a KSO Station.

With 1.11 I have had to start pitching over much later, around 4km and I've even made it to a decent orbit pitching over much later than that.

For those of you looking for station parts that fit in the cargo bay, there is a mod (although still only in early development) called great grey aerospace (I think) that offers 1.25 meter station parts.

I have no problem with not being able to fit the 2.5m parts into the shuttle. I think it should be used for what it was designed for, and that's the smaller parts and parts helldiver is currently making, service missions, small satellite deployment, and crew rotation. If you really need to get a larger piece up to your station or just orbit in general, rockets will work just fine. Like Westi said, the inflatable parts would be a perfect thing for the shuttle to bring up to the station if you're bent on using the shuttle and having larger habitation modules.

so no one can answer my question?

We need a more precise description of what your doing before we can tell you what is wrong with it? Are you using any mods like FAR or real solar system?

With a stock setup, I had no problems launching into orbit with plenty of fuel left over in the orange tank.

We need a more precise description of what your doing before we can tell you what is wrong with it? Are you using any mods like FAR or real solar system?

With a stock setup, I had no problems launching into orbit with plenty of fuel left over in the orange tank.

No I am not using FAR or Real, I just load the craft and launch.

P.S. thank You for the quick reply.

It was intended to have a node but it has problems being compatible with stock parts when you set up nodes that way. If you place a standard docking port on the floor with surface attachment it'll work fine for connecting a decoupler or 2nd docking port.

Or a cubic strut. You can place it so that it's invisible.

What happened to the lights?

I don't know... what do you mean?

-You could be talking about the window lights. Those are turned on inside. Look at the overhead panel, you'll notice a panel labeled "Flight Deck". Should be on the lights panel. that will turn on the main interior lights. If you look outside the shuttle the windows should then be lit up.

-You could be talking about the nose gear landing light. That may or may be assigned to the Light action group. Check in the VAB by right clicking the Nose gear.

-You could be talking about the ChemKorp Mystery Goo lights. Which should be working just fine.

-You could have just recently crashed on a landing, in which case you're suffering from a concussion...

I don't know... what do you mean?

-You could be talking about the window lights. Those are turned on inside. Look at the overhead panel, you'll notice a panel labeled "Flight Deck". Should be on the lights panel. that will turn on the main interior lights. If you look outside the shuttle the windows should then be lit up.

-You could be talking about the nose gear landing light. That may or may be assigned to the Light action group. Check in the VAB by right clicking the Nose gear.

-You could be talking about the ChemKorp Mystery Goo lights. Which should be working just fine.

-You could have just recently crashed on a landing, in which case you're suffering from a concussion...

I was talking about the window lights- I liked being able to toggle them from outside. Could you re-introduce that function?

The goo-lights are awesome! I am going to be using them soon in my AAR.

And the building thing was 4 years ago. I don't think I have residual hallucination from that this far after-the-fact.

The Fifth of my STS KSO Shuttle Missions and First Flight of the Tenacious! STS 105's objectives are to deploy the Manned Munar Lander, return to the KSC, and successfully land Jebediah and his craft on the Mun.
Most of the footage is shown in 4x speed for quick viewing.
STS 106 Will bring Jebediah back into Low Kerbin Orbit and dock with the Tenacious before returning to the KSC Runway!

The Fifth of my STS KSO Shuttle Missions and First Flight of the Tenacious! STS 105's objectives are to deploy the Manned Munar Lander, return to the KSC, and successfully land Jebediah and his craft on the Mun.

Most of the footage is shown in 4x speed for quick viewing.

STS 106 Will bring Jebediah back into Low Kerbin Orbit and dock with the Tenacious before returning to the KSC Runway!

You're a serious inspiration and really one of several factors keeping me enthused.

Are you using the default textures or the low res pack?

You can resize cockpit_interior_norm_NRM.tga to 1024 I believe without much loss in visual fidelity. Then use the standard 4096x4096 cockpit_interior.tga and it should make all your text much clearer in the cockpit.

Wish I had a solution for the HUD issue, but at least Mihara is aware of it.

Edited by helldiver