[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

I have noticed that with DeadlyReentry enabled:

1. Orbiter survives reentry (yay!)

2. However, during ascent main engines overheat and blow up EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

You have been warned.

No, I think FAR causes this. I wasn't able to get my shuttle into orbit (and my engines kept overheating) so I deleted FAR, and voila, max thrust and no more overheating. DeadlyReentry still installed. Odd.

No matter what I do I can't keep the shuttle nose forward on reentry or in a glide. Why is this?

...nevermind. It's the amount of fuel I use.

However when I try to deorbit with the OMS, I spin uncontrollably. Why is this?

Do to popular demand of this setup, in the future (Phase II) I will be releasing a rear end shroud/cowling that will allow you to do this.

Keep in mind that I hate it. :mad:

Helldiver, did you get my PM? I have some questions for you. Thanks. :)

Are there any other mods required for this? After reinstall, I can't spawn the example craft, says parts are missing or locked.

All mods required for KSO will always be in the DL. You've got some other bug going on. Is "KSO V-004" the one thats invalid?

For those crazy Kerbals on the other side of Kerbin that don't know better. And no, this can't come out soon as it requires direct feedback from Nazari so I know where to properly center the circular mounting point in the rear of it, before it gets textured and baked.

VnfpQ2h.jpg

Edited by helldiver

All mods required for KSO will always be in the DL. You've got some other bug going on. Is "KSO V-004" the one thats invalid?

Yep. Invalid. It cannot be 'some other bug', honestly. I tested it by resetting my steam install, removing all non-squad mods, and installing KSO.

That being said, I went through the .craft file manually, and didn't find any parts which I don't have... so it can't *not* be another bug, either.

Edited by enneract

For those crazy Kerbals on the other side of Kerbin that don't know better. And no, this can't come out soon as it requires direct feedback from Nazari so I know where to properly center the circular mounting point in the rear of it, before it gets textured and baked.

http://i.imgur.com/VnfpQ2h.jpg

Looks good. But you really don't have to add this if you don't want! :) It is your mod after all. Crud, you can slap one of those on with Procedural Fairings and call it good, at least that's what I'd do.

Helldiver, did you get my PM? I have some questions for you. Thanks. :)

I cannot answer PM's at the moment unrelated to technical issues or bugs as I'm very busy answering people's questions and any technical issues.

If you would like a peek as to how a lot of the KSO was done, see the original Kerbin Mini Shuttle thread and look for the External Fuel Tank modeling from start to finish posts I made.

What modeling program, art program, etcetera to use is way beyond the scope of this or that thread. However there are numerous resources on the web dealing with several modeling programs including Blender or MilkShape as well as student licenses for 3DMax or Maya. There are numerous tutorials on how to get started modeling in such programs.

http://i.imgur.com/VnfpQ2h.jpg

You're a goddamned hero, helldiver, thank you. I can use ProcFairings for now so don't panic :)

Any chance of a conical one (ala NASA) so we can fly it around on the back of a plane too, or am I REALLY pushing my luck too far? :P

I don't use the full engine setup when I'm launching from an in-line stack so I just use the attach point closest to the centre on the back engine mount, with 4 OMS engines around it, if that helps any :)

Seeing as it doesn't like landing with fuel left in the tank, a dump valve would be a good addition, too. I currently use the one from the Smart Parts kist, but I'm pretty sure the module could be copied to the engines? I'll give it a try and report back.

Edited by MDBenson

So, reduced to Squad + KSO in /GameData/, the craft file is invalid. Manually building the orbiter reveals that the engines do not have any gimbaling tweakables, if that is informative...

^

Ignore that, I'm stupid. More testing.

Yep. Invalid. It cannot be 'some other bug', honestly. I tested it by resetting my steam install, removing all non-squad mods, and installing KSO.

That being said, I went through the .craft file manually, and didn't find any parts which I don't have... so it can't *not* be another bug, either.

Re-clean your GameData directory (leaving Squad alone).

Download the latest version of the KSO (v1.08), and try again. Get back to us on that.

I may congratulate the OP and the team developing the KSO. It seems a very neat mod with a lot of work behind.

I would like to try it but currently my laptop is already screaming due to the ram of the mods (even with memory saving mod).

I would leave it at pending, but not for too long :P.

P.D: Has anyone made a video showing the functionalities of the mod (building/flying/landing)? It would be much appreciated.

Re-clean your GameData directory (leaving Squad alone).

Download the latest version of the KSO (v1.08), and try again. Get back to us on that.

I am unspeakably dumb. I've been looking at the KSO-002 craft.

I am unspeakably dumb. I've been looking at the KSO-002 craft.

That's why I asked about 004 because the old pod part was changed, and you would need only the newest craft he built. There are other very weird bugs with craft files that I have encountered though. If you run into problems you usually want to get rid of what you have and grab a new version of the part in the building process.

TPjsyAN.jpg

I was never good at landing, but I was able to land this thing. Ignore the HyperEdit window, I had it open in case the shuttle collided with my station(which happened the first time I tried to de-orbit). I wonder what the chances are of a shuttle de-orbiting from 550km and hitting a station at 100km.