[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Honestly I have no issues landing the Super 25. The only thing that goes wrong as it seems I always land in the night, but that's not too big of a deal. There is a visual glitch though. I tend to land quite hard in the Super 25 since it is quite bad at gliding, and it seems the force dislodges one of the main gear and makes the top of the gear part poke out of the top of the wing a bit. So far this hasn't effected my landings and the part is still attached, it just kind of annoys me.

screenshot124.png

Thank you, Cubic Octagonal Strut that fixes OMS problems, i really like using OMS s even though i dont really need them but they are hugely efficent, just place a cube in a center line a bit under the central line between bottom 2 main engines and place an OMS, not sure if i t would couse problems if done otherwise but i placed the engine inside of the cube, i cant see the cube anyway and this keeps all 3 oms s appear as diretcly attaced to the fuseloge, remember to add the 3rd engine to control groups,

this is one problem solved, with this second test, i ve concluded that rcs pitch works very nicely, however yaws and rotations still cause some unwanted turn.

never needed to use part clipping doing this, appear to couse no structual failures.

Edited by TheReaper

http://s7.postimg.org/8o0nnwca3/screenshot124.png

Thank you, Cubic Octagonal Strut that fixes OMS problems, i really like using OMS s even though i dont really need them but they are hugely efficent, just place a cube in a center line a bit under the central line between bottom 2 main engines and place an OMS, not sure if i t would couse problems if done otherwise but i placed the engine inside of the cube, i cant see the cube anyway and this keeps all 3 oms s appear as diretcly attaced to the fuseloge, remember to add the 3rd engine to control groups,

this is one problem solved, with this second test, i ve concluded that rcs pitch works very nicely, however yaws and rotations still cause some unwanted turn.

Could you by any chance share the craft file for this please? Cheers

People have problems landing these things? I'm floored because I did an abort sequence (at less than 10k) with the Super 25 and was able to coast and land fine without zero problems.

People have problems landing these things? I'm floored because I did an abort sequence (at less than 10k) with the Super 25 and was able to coast and land fine without zero problems.

I think the Super 25 is easier to fly, because 3 out of my 4 missions (The 1 being my first time flying it) I have successfully landed on the runway at KSC. I have only once landed the small shuttle and I missed the runway on that landing. The only problem is that it is very bad at gliding, but since I have usually a few hundred units of fuel left over it's not a problem.

Congratulations on phase 3 release! Your hard work shows and is appreciated.

I have a blank texture question. For whatever reason whenever I pass the blank KSO 25 through GIMP I end up with black pixels (blemishes) here and there on the exported texture, especially in the cargo bay, wheel wells, and around the mun door port location. I've seen it previously when I tried to modify the space station parts texture but never figured it out then. I can't get my head around it so I'm going to bed. It's probably GIMP, but I can do anything to the phase 1 blank KSO texture, but the Super 25 doesn't like me giving it a custom name. Maybe Green Skull or Helldiver or anyone else more experienced with this could shed dome light on this for me. Any ideas?

Edited by qnistNAMEERF

I had an instance where when I jettisoned the LRBs, they destroyed the EFT at the same time. I was doing something like a Trans-Atlantic Abort, but I wasn't careful enough to flatten out my trajectory and once I started nosing down in the atmosphere at a steep angle, it was impossible to pull up. I think the issue is that the control surfaces aren't powerful enough to pull it out of a > 30-35 degree descent (but I could be wrong). I haven't done any in-depth testing, I'm just basing it off empirical evidence.

Great job with the Super KSO, I have only one problem though. Phase III KSO (insert meme) "The memory usage is too high!" I run with several mods already and once installing PIII KSO I was forced to trim some of the mods that I do not use including some older ones that I did not want to trim out. But did because they are from the old file system, and the author left due to the whole Starport/Curse thingy. I've had it crash out due to memory troubles during play. I have ATM installed and I went in and disabled Mipmaps to attempt to save a bit more memory. I'm also forced to use 1/8th res and the lowest setting on render just to get the game to even load up. Due to this I have very very burly IVA's and its hard to use cockpit mode. Although it is something that I've not really used a lot till KSO came out. That and I'm not used to or good at inside flying, (as I call it).

I use the following mods,

KSO phase III

Spaceplane plus (by porkjet)

Lack Luster Labs

Lack Luster Labs extra

Lack Luster Labs SXT spaceplane mod

Aviation lights

Surface lights

FASA ( removed all but launch towers and ICBM )

IDSkillful (weapon mod, might remove)

Hullcam

KAS

KAX (another spaceplane mod, adds in nice prop engines)

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement ( mostly there for the physics slowly on warp end)

HyperEdit

Launch countdown

Chatter (needs updated)

Toolbar (needs updated)

Infernal robotics (might be another mod to be cut out)

Mechjeb

Nuke (something i found that adds in more parts of the 1.5 kind, some i consider overpowered but they look nice, also might cut out )

Tweakable wheels (allows tweaks to brakes, wheel torque and steering angle Mostly on powered rover wheels)

Wheel sounds (gives sounds to rover wheels, Electric hum, and diesel engine sound

Procedural Dynamics ( nice wing mod)

RCS build Aid

Tac Fuel Balancer

Soundtrack editor

Romfar laser mod with weapons ( might be removing)

Slimmed down RLA mod parts

SH_mods (more spaceplane parts, might remove)

Touhou Torpedo's Pitch Vector engine (might remove due to author leaving KSP)

Caterpillar tracks (buggy and incomplete mod but used with weapon mods for tanks. might remove )

Treeloader

TVPP (Spaceplane parts mod, slimmed down)

Tweakscale

VNG (EVA parachutes and eject mods)

Connected living space (might remove)

Ship manifest (might remove)

I might go ahead and try to redownload the mods that i use and see if they made it over to cruse, and reduce them in that manner. And then start over with the main mods i would like to use the most and then add in the other smaller mods that I like.

I had an instance where when I jettisoned the LRBs, they destroyed the EFT at the same time. I was doing something like a Trans-Atlantic Abort, but I wasn't careful enough to flatten out my trajectory and once I started nosing down in the atmosphere at a steep angle, it was impossible to pull up. I think the issue is that the control surfaces aren't powerful enough to pull it out of a > 30-35 degree descent (but I could be wrong). I haven't done any in-depth testing, I'm just basing it off empirical evidence.

The limited time that i have been able to use I have noticed that it is also hard to pull up from a nose dive, It seams that it is nose heavy Or the control surfaces are not strong enough. I was forced to cut in the RCS and use the main engines to pull out of the steep nose dive I was in. And then it kept wanting to go nose down.

Edited by Damaske
Added in quite and nose heavy troubles

Are the pre-launch sparks and smoke effects from the preview video in the mod? Mine dosent seem to do it... :(

The smoke will show if you install CoolRockets from Dtobi, and the sparks are small emitter parts from Dtobi's Shuttle Engines mod.

I'v found some minor problems on the IVA...

the FMS screen, near the throtle levers, the PFD option shows an incomplete orbital screen instead of a navball...

and the the big ADI screen can't be changed to PFD mode... >____<

but it flies in space... will be much more usefull if we can change it to navball too... so we can change the side screen to orbital/target mode and use the navball for orientation... and also we can use the navball docking plugin for alignment (RPM aldready supports it) with the camera at the side screen... like I do with KSO...

I like this mod not because of the look, looks nice yes, but to fly IVA... KSO is perfect for this... :P

Edited by luizopiloto

The limited time that i have been able to use I have noticed that it is also hard to pull up from a nose dive, It seams that it is nose heavy Or the control surfaces are not strong enough. I was forced to cut in the RCS and use the main engines to pull out of the steep nose dive I was in. And then it kept wanting to go nose down.

I'm glad I wasn't jumping to conclusions with purely empirical evidence. But yeah, it definitely seems like something is amiss with the control surfaces or weight distribution.

I should also note, that I'm using FAR. Not sure if that makes much of a difference.

I'm seeing some mods are now stating this. Why? Is it because you are sure your mod is definitely going to use to much RAM otherwise?

It's not required but recommended.

I'm not using it,no problems encountered..

After installing Phase 3 when I right click the super25 on the launch pad the game crashes. I *think* it might be because I'm still using ELCSS, I'm going to try a fresh install of KSP with just the Phase 3 install and see what happens.

EDIT: Removed ELCSS and no more crash

Edited by rottielover

I'm seeing some mods are now stating this. Why? Is it because you are sure your mod is definitely going to use to much RAM otherwise?

Yes. That is why.

If you guys are still experiencing memory issues with Phase 3 installed. Go into GameData/BoulderCo/ActiveTextureManagerConfigs/KSO.cfg and enable ATM for the KSO system. (Change enabled = false to true.)

To those of you having trouble with the craft pitching while Yawing or translasting left/right under RCS power, please toggle the rudder RCS ports off with action group 7. This does not fully solve the problem, but it does minimize it. Be aware that disabling the rudder RCS means that RCS wont fire when you roll, and wont allow you to translate forward. To do that you must re-enable the rudder RCS ports with action group 7.

Too much RAM? no. KSP doesn't know how to handle memory, it tries to front load everything instead of loading assets as needed.

Update 3.07, non LE

3.07 should be up shortly. It includes improvements to torque and flight characteristics. It shouldn't lawn dart as badly, but neither KSO is meant to recover from a 90 degree nose dive. The changes should improve RCS Yaw control in space, you'll still need to kick in a little bit of Roll to keep it straight, but not as badly as 3.06.

The KSO Standard took 14 versions before it was finally where we wanted it. KSO 25 will be no different. It takes time and feedback as we test the numbers and adjust things.

Edited by helldiver