[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Phase IV WIP

As if you guys weren't bombarded by mods already...

http://i.imgur.com/7LrpNMH.jpg

Phase IV Details

-Chassis separate part.

-One wheel.

-Two bodies; truck and bus

-Three accessories; fuel tank, supply van, airstair.

-Cab and Bus have IVA

-Bus 8 Kerbals (9 including driver).

The truck looks great! I like it. Definitely has the look down of the background trucks scooting around everywhere in the VAB.

This happens if you built your own shuttle.

Try using the craft file. Otherwise no idea why it happens. If you watch my streams not once did that happen.

I've had the entire shuttle get destroyed on booster separation. Event log stated that it was due to damage caused by separatrons.

first: THANK YOU for this wonderful mod. the KSO is the most important craft in my fleet now :)

second: do you think it would be possible to divide the phases into different folders? like KSO/Parts/Orbiter, KSO/Parts/Orbiter25, KSO/Parts/Station or something like this?

i don't ask you to do this in your release (although it would be awesome) but would this even work? it would provide me with a better file/update handling, or i could just delete unneeded parts faster.

Putting that testing skin to use (slightly modified), I present X-103 'Energia':

l0w21As.png

She launches like a dream. LRB separation occurs anywhere from 18km-19km ASL at a 45 degree pitch from the vertical. At the point of LRB separation, she is moving fast enough that flams appear on the craft due to atmospheric friction. LRB separation is dicey, but does not catastrophically damage the craft. She is capable of reaching a 100km apoapsis with over 1500 units of liquid fuel remaining in the external tank. Circularizing the orbit still leaves over 500 units of liquid fuel in the external tank.

Unfortunately, as the craft uses parts that reference the test skin, I can not share this craft file.

Edited by Avalon304

Putting that testing skin to use (slightly modified)

Hey Avalon, you say you modified the texture? Are you getting any black pixel artifacts around the wheel wells, mun door, cargo bay, or where the wings attach? I haven't had any success modifying the blank S25 texture without them popping up. What program you using to modify your texture?

I've had the entire shuttle get destroyed on booster separation. Event log stated that it was due to damage caused by separatrons.

That means they heated it up past its max temperature rating. KSO parts' maxTemp ratings are pretty high unless you're using Deadly Reentry. Then their max temp is reduced, and you might be experiencing heating of the hull when it goes supersonic. If that's the case then the sepratrons might be just enough to push it over the edge. Do you think that might be what's happening?

Hey Avalon, you say you modified the texture? Are you getting any black pixel artifacts around the wheel wells, mun door, cargo bay, or where the wings attach? I haven't had any success modifying the blank S25 texture without them popping up. What program you using to modify your texture?

Nope, Ive added 3 named Super 25s into my game (which does kill memory by the way), and I havent seen any artifacts. The program Im using to modify the texture is Adobe Photoshop CC.

That means they heated it up past its max temperature rating. KSO parts' maxTemp ratings are pretty high unless you're using Deadly Reentry. Then their max temp is reduced, and you might be experiencing heating of the hull when it goes supersonic. If that's the case then the sepratrons might be just enough to push it over the edge. Do you think that might be what's happening?

Yes. The log generally will say that the tank exploded because of overheating. I saw it when I was making Energia. A lot.

Edited by Avalon304

I assume it isn't normal for the external fuel tank to explode on booster separation? Am I doing something wrong?
This happens if you built your own shuttle.

Try using the craft file. Otherwise no idea why it happens. If you watch my streams not once did that happen.

I think the Sepatrons are overheating the EFT when Deadly Reentry mod is installed. It happens when the Sepatron nozzle is pointing directly to the EFT.

Try to move the Sepatrons a bit to the side.

I think the Sepatrons are overheating the EFT when Deadly Reentry mod is installed. It happens when the Sepatron nozzle is pointing directly to the EFT.

Try to move the Sepatrons a bit to the side.

They'll do it even with out Deadly Reentry.

So I've tried customizing my S25's name following my guide I posted previously with two separate programs now (GIMP and Paint.NET) and I get the same result either way with these blemishes showing up in the cargo bay, wheel wells, on the inside of the wing-to-body structure, and around the mun door port. So the common denominator is me. I need help. Anybody have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

EDIT: those blemishes do not show up on the texture in an image editor, only ingame.

Edited by qnistNAMEERF

I don't use DR, no. And it's only happened once. I launched literally the same setup several times without an unplanned disassembly taking place.

Putting that testing skin to use (slightly modified), I present X-103 'Energia':

http://i.imgur.com/l0w21As.png

She launches like a dream. LRB separation occurs anywhere from 18km-19km ASL at a 45 degree pitch from the vertical. At the point of LRB separation, she is moving fast enough that flams appear on the craft due to atmospheric friction. LRB separation is dicey, but does not catastrophically damage the craft. She is capable of reaching a 100km apoapsis with over 1500 units of liquid fuel remaining in the external tank. Circularizing the orbit still leaves over 500 units of liquid fuel in the external tank.

Unfortunately, as the craft uses parts that reference the test skin, I can not share this craft file.

Oh. I want this testing texture it is beautiful.

Would I be able to use all four new cockpits, the default cockpit, and the limited edition cockpit all in the same install?

Basically how it would work, is you would have the non-Ascension cockpits look normal, and Ascension would be Livery.

I had the external fuel tank explode due to sepitrons overheating it on my personal built craft, But after moving them so they are not facing the tank I have been flying really well. I used a total of eight sepitrons four on the top and four on the bottom of the boosters. So far this custom built shuttle has been performing well and I've use the cubic strut trick that was shown in the thread to allow three oms engines on the backside. I say custom built as it was not the pre-made craft file and I use a specific action group settings for all my craft files. I normally have 1: solar panels 2:main engines 3: secondary engines and 10: trim setting, or gimble setting. For the shuttle I use i have 4: cargo door, 5: docking door, 6: flaps 7: air brakes and 8 and 9 are unused.

I know that you stated that your not going to release a reduced texture pack for this mod and that you are building off the ATM mod for memory issues. But I have found that KSO does not like to play well with other part mods, I wish to use parts from the shuttle's launch vehicles to launch craft that I have made from the other mods I use But yet still have the ability to use the shuttle itself for putting up craft into LKO. Would you be willing to make a reduced texture pack once more like you had for Phase one, or offer suggestions on how to reduce them?

I do know that you spent a lot of time and effort into making this wonderful mod and my asking for a reduction in texture may seam like I do not care about the work you put behind this mod. But I really like the work put behind it and I'd like to see how well it is. But current KSP memory management and its 32 bit programming does not allow this mod to shine like it deserves it. I feel that a reduced texture pack will allow this mod to play nicely with KSP and other mods.

I'm currently forced to run at fast render settings, and 1/8 resolution as with having ATM do its thing to the KSO files witch sad to say ruins the looks of it to the point I can not even use the displays IVA, as the tabs/ticks (or whatever they are called) are all blurry and can not be read.

Would you be willing to make a reduced texture pack once more like you had for Phase one, or offer suggestions on how to reduce them?

This is unnecessary since Aggressive-Active Texture Management does the same thing. Make sure you install A-ATM AFTER you've installed KSO (or you can simply delete the ATM Config files installed by KSOS v307).

Would I be able to use all four new cockpits, the default cockpit, and the limited edition cockpit all in the same install?

Yes, see post after OP, there is an optional download with the other three names as well as config files by BWheatley. This should allow all four fuselages to appear in the VAB.

Edited by helldiver

I assume it isn't normal for the external fuel tank to explode on booster separation? Am I doing something wrong?

Angle the sepratrons, they are not angled and are firing directly into the EFT.

This is unnecessary since Aggressive-Active Texture Management does the same thing. Make sure you install A-ATM AFTER you've installed KSO (or you can simply delete the ATM Config files installed by KSOS v307).

I have AATM already and I'll try to delete the KSO config files, I've also modified the ATM config to use 512 max size and scale of 2 so far its running fast render at half res so maybe i found a way to get it going.

Just a FYI, The Mass Key shipyards Has flown 6 S25 KSO missions with the following Results:

Mission one: EFT explosion on booster Sep, Return to ksp executed and landed safely. No cargo.

Mission two: No cargo, reached 150km LKO returned to KSP overshot by 500km. Attempted to return, ditched in ocean 75km from KSP.

Mission three: Start of Station, Reached 200km LKO, returned to KSP, overshot again Landed on island saftly.

Mission four: 2nd station cargo, Reached 200km LKO returned to KSP no overshoot landed on runway coasted to Space plane hanger.

Tug launched via rocket due to large size, Tug delivered with fuel and rocket, moved station to 250km Orbit

Mission five: 3rd station cargo, Reached 250km Orbit retruned to KSP runway, coasted to SPH.

Mission six: Moved crew to station via internal habbit, Returned to KSP runway, coasted to SPH.

I'd like to note this has been with the release version and not the updated corrected flight profile shuttle, will download and install soonâ„¢.

Also I have experienced landing gear clipping though the wing on landing, mostly the left landing gear. Suggest moving the node to where it will sit on the middle of the landing gear, holding slot and not in the front like it is now.