[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

I do have RCS onboard, but not enough to get them into geosynchronous orbit. the next flight will fix this...

Aah yeah I see. Well the shuttle isn't ment to fly to geo stat orbit :D. I used the little ant engine for that, and once in place I dropped the fuel stage.

True, but I find that I can get the shuttle up to a 200 km orbit. I just have to use the OMS for the circularization burn...

Really? I've gotten it up to 500km+ orbit. The KSO super 25 anyway.

Using mechjeb gets to 500km easy

Also a Pic for you

http://i.imgur.com/qU4q3Xz.png

I've had to put the new ship down on the alternate landing site too, it's obviously going to take a few practice flights to get my reentry trajectory dialed in. I just got the KSO figured out. :P

I have to admit the Super 25 seems to work much better with mechjeb then the KSO did.

The 66th of my STS KSO Shuttle Missions! STS 166 is the 22nd flight of Rebellious. STS 166's objective is to deploy the Laythe Space Station Solar Truss #1! Jeb and the Rebels weren't happy about being phased out in favor of the KSO Super 25 EWBCL (now in mission planning!) and have permanently moved the mini shuttle program to Laythe!

The Laythe Space Station Construction Missions run STS 159-STS 170 and uses the Phase II KSO Station Parts!

I have a question regarding the KSO Super 25 EWBCL : Have anybody tried to launch it with the cargo bay full of payloads (ie. some tanks full of fuel) ? Maybe something like a Rockomax X200-32, Rockomax X200-8 Fuel Tank, and two large docking ports ? Because my attempt to do that failed... the orbiter runs out of fuel during circularization at 80 km orbit. Using MechJeb though, not hands.

Thats a nice plane... but it has nothing to do with the KSO system...

I made a rover with the octostrut once and posted it here and the mods moved it quick to some rover megathread. It'll probably be moved.

Phase IV Truck and bus set, WIP

http://imgur.com/a/Ffe5t

To do

-Finish Bus external

-Tank

-Supply crates

-Air Stair

-IVA

Those trucks are badass. I'm definitely gonna try and take the bus ("climb on the magic schoolbus!") to the mun.

Quick question(s): will these trucks be using the bobcat plugin? Will they run off "gas" (they have tanks that's why I ask) or use electricity?

Edited by qnistNAMEERF

I have a question regarding the KSO Super 25 EWBCL : Have anybody tried to launch it with the cargo bay full of payloads (ie. some tanks full of fuel) ? Maybe something like a Rockomax X200-32, Rockomax X200-8 Fuel Tank, and two large docking ports ? Because my attempt to do that failed... the orbiter runs out of fuel during circularization at 80 km orbit. Using MechJeb though, not hands.

I believe the KSO Super 25 can lift just under 20 tons. I think one of the testers said that during a live stream.

Those trucks are badass. I'm definitely gonna try and take the bus ("climb on the magic schoolbus!") to the mun.

Quick question(s): will these trucks be using the bobcat plugin? Will they run off "gas" (they have tanks that's why I ask) or use electricity?

During the live stream the idea of having the trucks run on liqued fuel came up, but it hasn't been decided yet I think.

It should be able to take that up to 80k with fuel still in the EFT.

is it possible make the invisible holding points at KSO super EWBCL's crew hatch a bit more visible to the game, i attemted to randevouz with a ship that i brought from mun so i can carry their crew to ksc with the shutle, kerbals tend be kicked away from the hatch after i click hold button,it is still manageable at 2nd or 3rd tries but still, an inconvience

Yep, FAR config is needed, Super 25 is uncontrollable during the landings. Everytime i lose main engines fater re-entry, and when i pitch the shuttle it gains velocity. Very difficult to land it. But still awesome work helldiver and nazari.

It should be able to take that up to 80k with fuel still in the EFT.

Hmm, I have tried to launch it without the Rockomax X200-8 tank yet (with it, the payload mass is more than 20t) it's still drawing a slight amount of fuel from the payload. Had to use RCS for deorbit burn... Not sure, but it's might be just that MechJeb doesn't give me the most efficient ascent anyway.

EDIT : My ascent profile is 6.9 km start, 70 km (or 69 km) end, end angle 1°. 42.3% curvature. Give me some fine (not best) figures with standard rockets.

Edited by YNM

Ok, so I'm loving the new shuttle! Using mechjeb for launch and orbit, I've had no problem using the same profile I did with the KSO. (Turn at 1k, 45 degree turn to 70k.) One thing I've noticed, and this happens on both craft, is that Mechjeb doesn't limit thrust upon reaching terminal velocity anymore even if I have it selected. No big deal, I end up burning just enough fuel to make sure that I can ditch an empty EFT, just thought it was wierd. Also, as another small bug I've noticed, Alternate Resources doesn't show a difference in fuels between the total amount and the stage with just the orbiter and EFT. Both of them have the same amounts, unlike the booster stage where the numbers count down differently.

Also, is there a magic number out there as far as how heavy a payload this thing can lift? I'm building a Space Tug, and need am sending up a reactor that will weigh probably around 10-12 tons. I know it will fit in the payload bay, just want to know if I'll be able to get into LKO and back. Thanks!

Also, is there a magic number out there as far as how heavy a payload this thing can lift? I'm building a Space Tug, and need am sending up a reactor that will weigh probably around 10-12 tons. I know it will fit in the payload bay, just want to know if I'll be able to get into LKO and back.

My guesstimate is around ~15t to 17t. You might have to use RCS though for some parts of your flight.

Ok, so I'm loving the new shuttle! Using mechjeb for launch and orbit, I've had no problem using the same profile I did with the KSO. (Turn at 1k, 45 degree turn to 70k.) One thing I've noticed, and this happens on both craft, is that Mechjeb doesn't limit thrust upon reaching terminal velocity anymore even if I have it selected. No big deal, I end up burning just enough fuel to make sure that I can ditch an empty EFT, just thought it was wierd. Also, as another small bug I've noticed, Alternate Resources doesn't show a difference in fuels between the total amount and the stage with just the orbiter and EFT. Both of them have the same amounts, unlike the booster stage where the numbers count down differently.

Also, is there a magic number out there as far as how heavy a payload this thing can lift? I'm building a Space Tug, and need am sending up a reactor that will weigh probably around 10-12 tons. I know it will fit in the payload bay, just want to know if I'll be able to get into LKO and back. Thanks!

The KSO Super 25 is supposed to be able to lift just short of 20 tons. Haven't tested this myself but one of the testers said this.

I delivered a lot of stuff to my asteroid station at 180km, and landed the shuttle with half the fuel left. I don't use mechjeb also. It's not right... you're doing something wrong. Maybe the gravity turn.

as the shuttle have wings, I start to turn arround 4k to 25°, 45° at 10k, and that follow the orbit marker at 30k+... I go to a initial orbit of 75k with the fuel tank on the shuttle almost full...

Edited by luizopiloto

Thanks for the excellent work.

I wonder if it would be possible to separate the phases into different downloads, that would be greatly appreciated. That, or a document letting us know which GameData assets belong to which phase. I am having massive problems getting my KSP install with KSO to load, and since I don't need the KSOS phase one, that would help a bunch.

I know there is no obligation on your part to do either of those things, so feel free to tell me no if you don't want to do so. :P