[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

My suggestion for this mod would be to create an "all-inclusive" folder within the GameData folder instead of everything being scattered. Many users, including myself, like to add and remove mods and the current nature of the folder structure makes it extremely difficult to keep track of the contents.

Honestly, this makes no sense at all. The point of the current install is to preserve the install location of the mods, not create a new folder within the KSO folder where a duplicate version of an existing mod would show up if someone already had that mod. The only place this is really applicable is with the custom menu for rpm, which I am in the process of adjusting to our needs.

I tried reentry with the latest version and DealdyReentry and everything was going perfectly until my landing gear blew up :D This is fantastic mod nonetheless - with this and frizzank mods one can recreate (almost) whole USA space program!

Maybe you could make some tutorial for those less gifted in computer magic artsy things? :)

I just tried this. You can take the blank name texture from the OP. Open that up in GIMP. Make a new text object with Helvetica Bold (or Arial Bold) and set the font size to 24, anti-aliasing on. Type your name. Set the transparency of the text layer to about 40%. Use the shear tool, and shear the text by -6 in the y-direction. Stick the layer underneath the door in the lower right. Repeat this again up until the shear, and do that in positive 6 y-direction. Place it below the door in the upper left. Export the image back out as a .tga, and you should be set.

The above should match the original textures pretty well. You could also just slap plain black text in those spots too, but I always like to match as closely as possible. :)

Ok I admit it. I am too stupid to get drec heat shielding working. I know it has to do with the direction (0,-1,0) for example I think is down (twords floor of VAB) but for the life of me I just can't seem to get it right. Everytime I renter test I blow the nosecone and the gear.

I need to figure out how to get the direction correct so that the shielding points tword the direction the firery death should come from.

Helldiver, I tip my hat to you. Even when you don't like a certain thing, you still create it to please us? Wow. And that adapter *does* actually look very cool :D

That what good designers do. Even if they don't like something, they do it anyway. Good game design hinges on that.

Tried the new DRE config. Landing! ^^ Although i noticed a couple of strange things:

Ablative shields does'nt seem to deplete, at least not on every part.

Landing gears and nose cone take alot of heat at "realistic" (as in kerbal) angle, around 20°, but much less at 45° (still more than the others).

Hope that helps!

Edited by Initar

If you are toggling engines with action groups and having control issues you can now download the new update to the gimbal plugin by dtobi. We are not including it with KSO yet. Delete your old Klockheed_Martian/Plugins folder first.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55985-0-23-07-Feb-Space-Shuttle-Engines-V1-1-NEW-Sparkers-and-improved-gimbal-logic

@Boamere the B9 cargo bays were what I compared it to. They use Firespitter for the animations and end up shielding with FAR, just like the mod in the quote. That's why I've been scratching my head. My guess is that FAR assumes only two nodes (stack top, stack bottom) or at least everything inline, and this cargo bay has two stack nodes, one internal node for payload/airlock, and two side nodes for wing attachments. It might just be confusing the crap out of FAR.

The problem is that FAR doesn't figure out and apply drag properties to wing parts, and the cargo bay's module type is "Winglet." Change it to be "Part" like all the other parts and it should work fine.

The problem is that FAR doesn't figure out and apply drag properties to wing parts, and the cargo bay's module type is "Winglet." Change it to be "Part" like all the other parts and it should work fine.

You know, I knew it was something simple... :facepalm: Thanks Ferram.

That would explain why the shuttle goes screaming into the atmosphere during reentry on FAR. 5 km altitude and going at over 600 m/s is bit crazy.

If you want it now, go into cgholdkso.cfg and change "Winglet" to "Part" where it says " module = "

If you want the wings to make lift, I wouldn't do that. :) Apparently, when the bay is closed, it does shield items now, but that includes the wings for some reason. Which means no drag or lift on the wings and/or flaps. Yargh.

Hey Ferram, any ideas on this one?

If you want the wings to make lift, I wouldn't do that. :) Apparently, when the bay is closed, it does shield items now, but that includes the wings for some reason. Which means no drag or lift on the wings and/or flaps. Yargh.

Hey Ferram, any ideas on this one?

Yea, just got thru a round of testing... With this change, cargo bay open and the thing flys ok, closed and it's a brick.

Small update on the fairing/shroud/de-coupler. Works very well.

-Not as easy to launch this way as with the standard method.

-You'll have to manually maintain your ascent angle (roughly 30 degrees) and should start rotating at around 6km, at 10km activate RCS and you can rotate to about 40 degrees. Rotating sooner will result in a spin.

-Engine pitch trim should be off.

-We're still working out some of the bugs.

NBN2Lnx.jpg

If you want the wings to make lift, I wouldn't do that. k_smiley.gif Apparently, when the bay is closed, it does shield items now, but that includes the wings for some reason. Which means no drag or lift on the wings and/or flaps. Yargh.

Probably what's happening is either the cargo bay model is being detected as being far too large (which I've never been able to fix; animating shapes always give FAR weird issues) or the cargo bay code isn't properly accounting for the requirement that both the wing root and the wing tip are inside the bay bounds. The code is exactly correct for the latter, so I suspect the former, and I don't know how to fix that.

Probably what's happening is either the cargo bay model is being detected as being far too large (which I've never been able to fix; animating shapes always give FAR weird issues) or the cargo bay code isn't properly accounting for the requirement that both the wing root and the wing tip are inside the bay bounds. The code is exactly correct for the latter, so I suspect the former, and I don't know how to fix that.

;.; oh no, If ferram don't know how to fix.... oh no..... no no no no calm . must remain calm.

Actually, I've got an idea. Go into the config and find the node_attach line. There's a number that's for X orientation (should be the 4th number, or the 3rd from last), and it should be either 1 or -1; try flipping it and see if the issue persists. If it's fixed, reset the number, I think I found the bug and it's just a sign error / inconsistency in FAR.

helldiver, what diameter is the EFT? It seems more than 2.5 meters, but if it is 2.5, could you please give us a version of it without the nosecone to use under the adapter (when you release it)? No pressure, just a suggestion. To keep the look of the whole launch stack similar to the side-mounted version...

Actually, I've got an idea. Go into the config and find the node_attach line. There's a number that's for X orientation (should be the 4th number, or the 3rd from last), and it should be either 1 or -1; try flipping it and see if the issue persists. If it's fixed, reset the number, I think I found the bug and it's just a sign error / inconsistency in FAR.

Sorry I see Node_Stack and attachRules but I don't find a "node_attach" line in the cgholdkso.cfg file.

Derp. I meant the wing configs. Go into the left and right wing configs and change that line.

Tried it, no dice, still needed to open the bay doors to have the thing work. I request someone else repeat this test on their machine just in case I messed something up.